PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our new offense will produce Championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like someone to explain something to me.

The Patriots just beat a team that they should have beaten. They beat that team by, roughly, what they should have beaten them by, give or take a few points. They did that, however, because the defense played well, and not because the offense played well, since the offense was about as bad as it was in its worst games of the 2011 regular season, outside of about 2-3 games.

With that in mind, what the hell has gotten into people around here, with regards to the offense? Last season, the Patriots had games much like this one, and people didn't start acting like school girls meeting their favorite band. Is it just that the giddiness from the defense has spilled over to the offense?

Last edited:
Not sure what your point is. Mine is that one game of more running isn't necessarily proof of a change of philiosphy, otherwise it has happened a lot of times every year.
I thought you were responding to the overall thread. You didn't quote anyone.

Some people need to chill out...this was a nice win with balanced contributions from the team but it's only week 1 and the opponent was a very mediocre one. This latter part is a caution that can be repeated throughout the season as the Patriots have the easiest schedule in the NFL this year. The first real test for this team will come against Baltimore in week 3. Beyond that I've circled Denver (week 5), Houston (week 14), and San Francisco (week 15) - all home games. Seriously, anything worse than a 12-4 record will be hugely disappointing. And really it's all about the postseason anyway...who among us will be satisfied with anything but a Super Bowl championship.

Besides, to say, "new offense" is a major overreach.

I don't think they are going to air it out until they face the Ravens ...

Optimism is a wonderful thing. Now the games are real. Let's see how it plays out next week against the Neil Lomax led Cardinals. If we continue to improve, then we can start complaining. Otherwise, let's see how they do this weekend first.

It's still just one game, we need to remember that in be cautious in our optimism. Very impressive yes, and I hope this keeps up. But I remember in 2010 too our running game was strong and we had good balance that year too, by the end of the season the defense was doing very well also. Then in the game that mattered, we showed zero faith in the run game and the defense wasn't so reliable. I think Ridley's potential and threat to other teams is alot higher than BJGE but he still needs to prove it over the course of 16 games. That is going to be key is establishing that threat, and hopefully this run D/pass rush is legit as well.

The Patriots just beat a team that they should have beaten. They beat that team by, roughly, what they should have beaten them by, give or take a few points. They did that, however, because the defense played well, and not because the offense played well, since the offense was about as bad as it was in its worst games of the 2011 regular season, outside of about 2-3 games.

With that in mind, what the hell has gotten into people around here, with regards to the offense? Last season, the Patriots had games much like this one, and people didn't start acting like school girls meeting their favorite band. Is it just that the giddiness from the defense has spilled over to the offense?

The offense played well, especially the run game. Pretty much the only issues in the passing game were the miscue with Lloyd, the Welker drop and the low throw to Edelman.

I thought you were responding to the overall thread. You didn't quote anyone.
I was referring to the entire thread. After one game of running the ball more, we have a new offense?

The Patriots, as much or perhaps more than any other team, change up their playstyle and gameplan depending on the opponent. That means that, while this week we saw a run heavy performance, next week we might throw the ball 60 times. You just never know after one game.

I agree overall, but the running game probably did look better than any time last season, or least up there.
That would be a reason for feeling better about the offensive side of the ball.

I don't think they are going to air it out until they face the Ravens ...

Why would you want to use the Ravens game to air it out?

There is a guy named Reed in the back 4 that is by far the best S in the game,I don't think its smart to challenge him too often

If anything, be 50/50 run pass

They did that, however, because the defense played well, and not because the offense played well, since the offense was about as bad as it was in its worst games of the 2011 regular season, outside of about 2-3 games

I'm not sure I agree with this. Let's look at their possessions a little closer. For starters, I'm obviously throwing out the kneeldown to end the first half. I'm throwing out the last possession (FG) which ran out the clock. I'm also noting that their preceding possession (FG) might've very well yielded a touchdown if not for the game situation, though I have no way of really accounting for that.

In all, I'm then looking at eight drives, 24 points, 390 yards, four scoring drives and four others where they sustained drives enough to flip field position.

That gets me 3 points per drive (which measures out to 2nd in the league last year), 47.4 yards per drive (which would've been 1st in the league last year) and 0 turnovers per drive.

These are all pretty good numbers, especially when we consider how much higher they'd be if the Patriots go in for a TD on that second to last FG were the game situation different - AND if Brady and Lloyd complete that bomb (which they should've and should going forward), then we're looking at really high numbers.

I think people are pleased with the offensive performance on Sunday b/c it was so balanced. And it was productive given the opportunities it had. We might factor in opponent, but Tennessee had a decent defense last year.

Last edited:
Why would you want to use the Ravens game to air it out?

There is a guy named Reed in the back 4 that is by far the best S in the game,I don't think its smart to challenge him too often

If anything, be 50/50 run pass

After seeing the Bengals, a team that doesn't typically run well, have success on the ground despite being down the whole game, I definitely think we can run on that D.

While I do agree that TB shouldn't be carrying this O on his back and throwing for 400+ yards a game, he's still going to be the nucleus of the offense. If we want to get back to hoisting the Lombardi, our O-line has to do our job effectively. Though I do like what I saw from the D and the run game yesterday.

Huh?

TB is a GOAT type QB making $22 million.

That's what a role player does?

The NFL is a QB driven league. All QB's have to carry the offense.

What has happened is the additions to the 2012 unit means exponential options.

There will be games where it makes sense to throw 50 times or 15 times.

I was referring to the entire thread. After one game of running the ball more, we have a new offense?

When patsfans.com spends years fixated on "running the ball" and "balance", it probably looks that way...if that's what you want to believe.

This sounds good but IMO it comes down to execution. Pretty sure Giants were one of the worst running teams in the league last year, worked out ok for them.

If Asante or Welker hang onto those dropped balls it is not even a debate.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Let's look at their possessions a little closer. For starters, I'm obviously throwing out the kneeldown to end the first half. I'm throwing out the last possession (FG) which ran out the clock. I'm also noting that their preceding possession (FG) might've very well yielded a touchdown if not for the game situation, though I have no way of really accounting for that.

In all, I'm then looking at eight drives, 24 points, 390 yards, four scoring drives and four others where they sustained drives enough to flip field position.

That gets me 3 points per drive (which measures out to 2nd in the league last year), 47.4 yards per drive (which would've been 1st in the league last year) and 0 turnovers per drive.

These are all pretty good numbers, especially when we consider how much higher they'd be if the Patriots go in for a TD on that second to last FG were the game situation different - AND if Brady and Lloyd complete that bomb (which they should've and should going forward), then we're looking at really high numbers.

I think people are pleased with the offensive performance on Sunday b/c it was so balanced. And it was productive given the opportunities it had. We might factor in opponent, but Tennessee had a decent defense last year.
And there wasn't a single three and out.

And there wasn't a single three and out.

Yup. I rewatched the game and thought the overall offensive execution was pretty strong. If they tighten up just a couple things (connect the deep ball; work on the inside running game; Brady had one stretch of inaccuracy with a few low balls), they will be extremely productive.

Yup. I rewatched the game and thought the overall offensive execution was pretty strong. If they tighten up just a couple things (connect the deep ball; work on the inside running game; Brady had one stretch of inaccuracy with a few low balls), they will be extremely productive.

I suspect the interior running game will improve when Connolly shakes the earthquake that happened in his head and comes back in for Cannon (though I do think Cannon looked more comfortable at RG than he ever did in the preseason outside).

I suspect the interior running game will improve when Connolly shakes the earthquake that happened in his head and comes back in for Cannon (though I do think Cannon looked more comfortable at RG than he ever did in the preseason outside).

How many snaps did Cannon actually play at guard though? Vollmer only played 34 of 67 snaps total, and I don't think anyone else played RT in his place. That means that 33 of Cannon's 38 snaps were at RT, and only 5 were played at G (a guess based on the numbers, I haven't gone back and watched the tape).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft