PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OUCH - That was one Butt-Ugly Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was only nervous once (when we were going for two), but I was pissed for most of the game :mad:

Yeah, there was some maddening plays for sure.

Plus, a crappy production from Fox and shaky officiating (both ways) doesn't help the anger.

Oh come on, was anyone ever really nervous about that game at any point in time?

I was nervous when it was 4th and one on the seven, and they were up by 5. I thought going for 3 was the right move there, but if they take another couple of minutes off the clock to get a TD there to go up 12, I think we're in trouble.

I think wins like this are good for the team. The team made some outstanding plays. I thought that everyone that played poorly made up for it eventually. In particular, the O line was much better late, and the run blocking was outstanding on a few big plays.

The defense looked like swiss cheese, but the big stop on 3d and less than a yard when Detroit had the ball on our 7 up by 5 was the play of the game to that point. We lose without that stop.

You stole my thunder. ;)
I was just thinking the same thing. Last year, we struggled to win games like this. This team didn't seem to have a lot of mental toughness, IMHO. It got exposed against Denver in the playoffs. These guys are building some mental toughness everytime they win games like this. The 01, 03, and 04Championship teams all had IT. The WILL to find a way to win when facing Adversity.
Last year's team did not have it, IMO.

Oh come on, was anyone ever really nervous about that game at any point in time?

YES - let's see; there was when they went ahead 7-3; then there was when it looked like they were going to go ahead 14-3; then there was when they went up 17-13; then there was when they got the safety...I could go on, but my brain has blocked out the rest (like accident trauma).

The Lions were a lot better than advertised. They moved the ball very well and defended pretty well. They gave us a real hard time, and I definitely thought we were going down at one point.

Caught the radio version of the game. Missed out on Triplette, Fox, turnovers, penalties. :eek: :rolleyes:

I feel blessed -- we won!

Holy crap I was biting my nails until Colvin's big play. What I can say I am proud of is the way we keep fighting back into games and winning them. Everyone could have easily gotten upset and lost focus but no. Dillon with two TD's in the fourth quarter.

I was frustrated all the way into the third quarter. Dumb plays like Pass's fumble just piss me off. Our secondary played lousy a lot of the time and we commited WAY too many penalties. Damn ugly.

Offensive players of the game:

Caldwell
Brady
Dillon

There were quite a few players of the game on defense. What is good is we got the win. NUT was right about this one. Any given Sunday...sheesh...

This game had me on the verge of puking. It reminded me of the Jets game. We let them hang around and we have to come back at the end. Glad for the win but way too stressful.

Last edited:
Yeah but we completely outplayed the Texans and somehow they came so so close to beating us.

Unlike today when Detroit completely outplayed us for 3 quarters. Honestly, I'd rather have faced the Colts offense today - 1st and 30, 2nd and 20 - it didn't matter, we couldn't stop jack until late in the game.

At least we pulled our collective heads out of are tails in the 4th - how do you explain losing to the worst team in the league at home in December?

I hope Vrabel, Maroney & even Brady (who was gimping across the field at one point) are okay. At least we got the W! It looked in doubt for a while.

I agree that today was indeed a TRULY BUTT UGLY WIN....but a win is a win no matter how it happens. I have alot of jealous friend of mine that are unfortunate fans of other teams that have called me on my cell begrudgingly each week, congratulating another pats victory......They seem to refer to "an ugly win for you guys, not sure how you pulled it off....you are lucky that so and so sucks...but hey, a win is a win" every single week. Now the past few games, I have challenged that. IMHO, we SIGNIFICANTLY outplayed Chicago last week and if not for shooting ourselves in the foot at nearly every chance, we BEAT them BIG....that is how much better I think we are than them this season......I can't recall off hand which other games "ugly" was referred to....but tommorrow....when I talk to them all....I will agree ...that we won BUTT UGLY.....but a win is a WIN.......GO PATS!!!!!!!!

This game had me on the verge of puking.
Yeah me too, well at least we won by 7 against a bad team rather than the colts and lose to a bad team by 3. The thing that drove me crazy the most (aside from the safety) was the way Kevin Faulk would try to juke guys while his max speed was probably 6 mph, I truly can't wait for Maroney after the performance by Faulk.

Last edited:
Yeah me too, well at least we won by 7 against a bad team rather than the colts and lose to a bad team by 3. The thing that drove me crazy the most (aside from the safety) was the way Kevin Faulk would try to juke guys while his max speed was probably 6 mph, I truly can't wait for Maroney after the performance by Faulk.

I haven't seen anything that bad since weak one against Buffalo... Faulk was the least of the problems, he made some nice plays on the underneath stuff during the no huddle.

I have tried to block must of it out but off the top of my head in no order there were issues with:
  • Intensity
  • Focus
  • Penalties
  • Pass protection
  • Pressure of the QB, some plays Kitna had all day.
  • Tackling
  • Turnovers

But we won... all signs point to a short play-off run, if they played like this against SD or Indy we would lose by 20.

But on the good side the haven't played a complete game, offense, defense and special teams. Still time to patch things up and hit their stride.

You stole my thunder. ;)
I was just thinking the same thing. Last year, we struggled to win games like this. This team didn't seem to have a lot of mental toughness, IMHO. It got exposed against Denver in the playoffs. These guys are building some mental toughness everytime they win games like this. The 01, 03, and 04Championship teams all had IT. The WILL to find a way to win when facing Adversity.

You're right. Despite the ugliness,they've still got that certain quality going on somehow. They were the underdog during their best years,nobody could figure out how they won but they won which was their trademark.
This year's team may be making it's share of mistakes but it's getting tougher each time. One thing about today-I realistically wonder if they looked past the Lions a little bit. Trap game right between the Bears and Miami (who lost btw).
Good post.

That 3rd quarter was about as painful for me to watch than anything I've seen this year.

I was just boiling inside. My wife asked me why I was so quiet in that she thought I'd be yelling and screaming. I opened my mouth to repond but nothing came out. That's how pissed I was. :enranged:

But and ugly win is better than an ugly loss.

The patriots players and coaches should be absolutely pummelled for that performance. Back in HS if we stunk it up like that practice would be brutal. The coach would sit us down and scream at us for 20 minutes. Then we would be run until we dropped. "Get up you maggots!".

The offensive coordinator should be forced to run with them. BB should have a meeting. Around a large circular table with all his coaches. Then BB kind of looks down, kind of grimaces and says "Josh...how many times did you run on first down? How many times Maroney right up the gut? (well not many this game but the point is the same)". Josh McDaniels kind of sheepishly answers. He knows what's coming is going to be bad. All of a sudden BB whirls around and catches Josh McDaniels in the skull with a baseball bat. WHAP! "And that's what happens to OCs who WON'T LISTEN!!". "And this is for the double reverse last week!! WHAP WHAP WHAP!

The rest of the coaches break out into applause. They are afraid to dissent. For they know their turn will come next if they screw up. But at least they've been warned and didn't get it today. Yet.

LOL, NEMin Bates with his OC knife. What a shocking development after a Patriots' game. :bricks:

Someone does have to ask McDaniels:

1. Why, when the offense stalls, does it take so long to go to the no-huddle at which Brady excels?

2. Why, when Chad Jackson is out, do we totally abandon the long ball or the threat of it (which obviously, the other teams know)? Can't you send Doug Gabriel long?

3. Why, when one player goes down (today it was Maroney) do you get totally flummoxed and forget that you have other good players on offense?

4. Why don't you buy Ben Watson a can of pine tar and personally douse him with it from his elbows to his finger tips just prior to kickoff?

I'm sure I can think of more later.

Yeah me too, well at least we won by 7 against a bad team rather than the colts and lose to a bad team by 3.QUOTE]

Why can't we stop looking at the Colts and instead focus on our performance?

Last edited:
You stole my thunder. ;)

Last years team didn't have the players, (injuries).

I think their toughness was superior, but the body and spirit give out eventually.

This team has experienced nowhere near the physical and emotional stress of last years, IMO.

By comparison, Maroney's out, Dillon's not playing great. They still have a healthy Evans, Pass and Faulk making plays in the 4th quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News