PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OUCH - That was one Butt-Ugly Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone does have to ask McDaniels:

1. Why, when the offense stalls, does it take so long to go to the no-huddle at which Brady excels?

2. Why, when Chad Jackson is out, do we totally abandon the long ball or the threat of it (which obviously, the other teams know)? Can't you send Doug Gabriel long?

3. Why, when one player goes down (today it was Maroney) do you get totally flummoxed and forget that you have other good players on offense?

4. Why don't you buy Ben Watson a can of pine tar and personally douse him with it from his elbows to his finger tips just prior to kickoff?

I'm sure I can think of more later.
Ah Darlin', don't let the NEMs get you down, listen to words of others who might actually understand the game:

Q: Do you sometimes wish you played the spread offense more?
TB: We are a big two-tight end offense with Dan [Graham] and Ben [Watson], so we have kind of gone away from that a little bit. For me, I think every time I go out on the field and Coach calls a play, we have talked about it throughout the entire week and I am comfortable with it. I always like being back there in the shotgun and seeing the field and making my reads. We needed it today. The guys executed it very well, especially in the fourth quarter and before half, too. We put together two good drives right before half, which we needed as well. So, that ended up being the difference. We played well in those situations.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/12/toms_take_13.html

I realize a team that is making the playoffs again this year, two years in a row after losing both superbowl winning coordinators, may not be to some people's taste. This offense is still raw and developing, they have big play ability, and they make mental errors as they learn to execute their assignments. The defense matched Chicago last week, that was a playoff intensity performance, even with the reshuffle at LB, having two reserves starting at Safety, and the teams recognized #1 DL playing with an exoskeleton on one arm.

Let's recognize that the players suffered a let down preparing for a 2-9 club and needed to pick themselves up by their jockstraps after finding themselves in an actual dogfight. Hard to put the game's shortcomings on the coaches when the players were doing the sleepwalking - unless you're a particularly flamboyant narcissist proud to boast of your ignorance with the same weekly diatribe.

Oh come on, was anyone ever really nervous about that game at any point in time?

I wasn't ever really nervous. I knew we were going to pull it out. But then again, I said the same thing in the Jets game.

Minus the extremely rare hiccup (a la Miami 2 years ago or Jets this year) we don't lose games like this. We may make them close, painfully close. But we don't lose them.

That 3rd quarter was about as painful for me to watch than anything I've seen this year.

I was just boiling inside. My wife asked me why I was so quiet in that she thought I'd be yelling and screaming. I opened my mouth to repond but nothing came out. That's how pissed I was. :enranged:

But and ugly win is better than an ugly loss.

My wife was so annoyed she walked out of the room in the 2nd quarter. That's the 1st time she has ever done that.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone else have a funny feeling that Bledsoe will be the Lions' QB in '07?

Ah Darlin', don't let the NEMs get you down, listen to words of others who might actually understand the game:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/12/toms_take_13.html

I realize a team that is making the playoffs again this year, two years in a row after losing both superbowl winning coordinators, may not be to some people's taste. This offense is still raw and developing, they have big play ability, and they make mental errors as they learn to execute their assignments. The defense matched Chicago last week, that was a playoff intensity performance, even with the reshuffle at LB, having two reserves starting at Safety, and the teams recognized #1 DL playing with an exoskeleton on one arm.

Let's recognize that the players suffered a let down preparing for a 2-9 club and needed to pick themselves up by their jockstraps after finding themselves in an actual dogfight. Hard to put the game's shortcomings on the coaches when the players were doing the sleepwalking - unless you're a particularly flamboyant narcissist proud to boast of your ignorance with the same weekly diatribe.

For me, I think every time I go out on the field and Coach calls a play, we have talked about it throughout the entire week and I am comfortable with it

So where's the credit for Vinnie?

I have a few thoughts about yesterday's game.

The Lions are the worst team in the NFL. Yesterday, the Pats

played like the second worse team in the NFL. Luckily, we have

Tom Brady and Bob Vrabel

Ben Watson is real fast for a tight end but needs to hold onto the

ball before he becomes a great tight end.

To my surprise, Reche Caldwell has become a good wide receiver.

Before we run Asante Samuel out of town, consider how we may

look without him. Without him, our pass defense would be horrible.

This game went pretty much as predicted by the guys on NE Tailgate. Lions would move the ball, put up some points and fall apart in the 4th qtr. It was something of a surprise the Pats came out so flat, but at least next week we will be defending our unbeaten record on the road. Hope we can find someone to cover Welker. Flurry's success doesn't bode well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back