PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What's the funniest dumb football comment you've ever heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the dumbs thing i ever heard came from fans who say Brady is notting but a system QB

I have to admit that every few months I do watch the clip on the net. Those three or four minutes remain among the favorites of my life. When Madden started talking, all I could think was "he's back coaching the Raiders and the Patriots are his hated rival and he just can't bear the thought that they might win this game."

Of course he made up for it a few moments later when, after Tommy spiked the ball, he said, "What Tom Brady just did gives me goosebumps."

I just watched it again too. It is an amazing 5-6 minutes of youtube footage ;)

Simply a moment for the ages, almost 10 full yrs later it still gives me chills.

‪Final drive of Super Bowl 36.‬‏ - YouTube

On another note, was anyone else somewhat surprised/worried at the time when Brady throws the ball away at the :33 second mark? (When we're on our own 41 yd line, a little after the 3:00 minute mark in the video) I remember having a horrible gut feeling that was going to be intentional grounding for sure, and most of the Rams were waving their hands and yelling for the flag. Strangely enough, (not really for Summerall and Madden) it wasn't even mentioned by the announcement crew.

Was the call as close as I thought, or was it clearly NOT intentional grounding? It seemed like it could have been somewhat close to me, as before the snap the RT is lined up almost to the hash mark. When Brady throws the ball from his hand, he is basically right before the right hash mark, so to me it looked pretty close. Just interested to see what others may think.

Last edited:
For the record, I just listened again and what Madden actually said is "I don't agree with what the Patriots are doing right here."

@ the 1:23 mark, here: Final drive of Super Bowl 36 - YouTube

Never gets old, does it?

Inject me with truth serum and I'll blurt out the awful truth that I agreed with him at that very moment. An awful lot could have gone terribly wrong in that situation.

It's easy in hindsight for many to forget that Tom Brady wasn't quite TFB then and the Pats were not yet the juggernaut at that moment. I envisioned Joe Pisarcik/Bill Buckner/Calvin Schiraldi/Scott Norwood nightmares. People forget that the previous 5 Pats O series went exactly nowhere and they had scored a grand total of 3 points to that moment in the second half. Good idea for a "rookie" (yeah, 2nd year, but for all intents and purposes, a rookie) to start throwing the ball around from his own 18 yard line with 1:23 to go and no time outs in the freakin' Super Bowl?

Madden was actually man enough to publicly admit that the Pats proved him wrong less than a minute later on the very same broadcast. THAT makes Madden a better man than 99% of commentators in my book.

To me, the fact remains that BB and Weis did NOT want to resort to that strategy.

They simply HAD to out of desperation since the 10% chance of its success was better than the 90% chance of a Rams score if they got the ball in OT. The Greatest Show on Turf had finally figured out the Pats D strategy in the final 7 minutes of the 4th quarter and had regained their mojo. BB and Weis simply went for broke.

BB did it not out of confidence in Brady, but out of fear of Kurt Warner.

Last edited:
I just watched it again too. It is an amazing 5-6 minutes of youtube footage ;)

Simply a moment for the ages, almost 10 full yrs later it still gives me chills.

‪Final drive of Super Bowl 36.‬‏ - YouTube

On another note, was anyone else somewhat surprised/worried at the time when Brady throws the ball away at the :33 second mark? (When we're on our own 41 yd line, a little after the 3:00 minute mark in the video) I remember having a horrible gut feeling that was going to be intentional grounding for sure, and most of the Rams were waving their hands and yelling for the flag. Strangely enough, (not really for Summerall and Madden) it wasn't even mentioned by the announcement crew.

Was the call as close as I thought, or was it clearly NOT intentional grounding? It seemed like it could have been somewhat close to me, as before the snap the RT is lined up almost to the hash mark. When Brady throws the ball from his hand, he is basically right before the right hash mark, so to me it looked pretty close. Just interested to see what others may think.

He takes the snap very close to the left hash mark, so the pocket didn't extend as far as the right hash mark. The call is measured from when the ball leaves his hand; he's running when he throws it and he's clearly at the right hash mark when the ball leaves his hand.

Inject me with truth serum and I'll blurt out the awful truth that I agreed with him at that very moment. An awful lot could have gone terribly wrong in that situation.

It's easy in hindsight for many to forget that Tom Brady wasn't quite TFB then and the Pats were not yet the juggernaut at that moment. I envisioned Joe Pisarcik/Bill Buckner/Calvin Schiraldi/Scott Norwood nightmares. People forget that the previous 5 Pats O series went exactly nowhere and they had scored a grand total of 3 points to that moment in the second half. Good idea for a "rookie" (yeah, 2nd year, but for all intents and purposes, a rookie) to start throwing the ball around from his own 18 yard line with 1:23 to go and no time outs in the freakin' Super Bowl?

Madden was actually man enough to publicly admit that the Pats proved him wrong less than a minute later on the very same broadcast. THAT makes Madden a better man than 99% of commentators in my book.

To me, the fact remains that BB and Weis did NOT want to resort to that strategy.

They simply HAD to out of desperation since the 10% chance of its success was better than the 90% chance of a Rams score if they got the ball in OT. The Greatest Show on Turf had finally figured out the Pats D strategy in the final 7 minutes of the 4th quarter and had regained their mojo. BB and Weis simply went for broke.

I didn't know that Belichick had commented on the decision in those terms, but I'll take your word for it. I would be curious as to where I could read it though.

Otherwise, I think you're basically right. THIS was their chance. This was what the Fates had handed them. I'd put the emphasis in a different place than you (which is why I'm curious to see the Belichick quote). I don't think they were as afraid of Warner and Martz as they were of the unknown if they put the game in the hands of a ref tossing a coin.

They had the ball in their hands with a QB who knew no fear but who also was very unlikely to make a dumb mistake.

Most importantly, the Rams cooperated, as Madden points out about three plays into the drive, by playing the center of the field too loosely, thereby allowing Brady a series of very low risk throws. Madden's pointing this out is actually far more impressive to me than his "retraction," which he more or less had to make since he knew football well enough to realize that he had just witnessed one of the greatest series of plays in Super Bowl history.

The Rams, as Madden observed, erred by surrendering the underneath plays (to protect against a 60 yard play), forgetting that there were almost 90 seconds on the clock and the field was in reality 52 yards long, not 82 yards; instead, Weis engineered a drive composed of 12--20 yard plays and used Out of Bounds and Spikes to stop the clock; brilliant. Not only did this series of downs introduce the sports world to the brilliance of Weis and Belichick and Brady, but it also exposed Mike Martz as a fundamentally flawed HC.

The rest was unknown, so they just decided to go for it. I still think it was the smarter play and the right choice at the time and not just in hindsight.

Last edited:

Great post.

But I couldn't agree with you LESS. :cool:

Tom Brady already was that extraordinary Field General we know and love.

And his Star was on the ascent.

...and still is.

When the Rams tied it up, everybody at the party I was at were wailing and gnashing their teeth: "We're Jinxed. Same old Patriots. Same old New England Team. Same old New England Curse."

Oh, NO. Not ME.

0.jpg

I yelled FOUR WORDS at my fellow fans:

"NO!!"

"This is perfect!!"

And it was precisely because General Tom was under center that I said so.

IT...was Time. :cool:

I didn't know that Belichick had commented on the decision in those terms, but I'll take your word for it. I would be curious as to where I could read it though.

Otherwise, I think you're basically right. THIS was their chance. This was what the Fates had handed them. I'd put the emphasis in a different place than you (which is why I'm curious to see the Belichick quote). I don't think they were as afraid of Warner and Martz as they were of the unknown if they put the game in the hands of a ref tossing a coin.

They had the ball in their hands with a QB who knew no fear but who also was very unlikely to make a dumb mistake.

Most importantly, the Rams cooperated, as Madden points out about three plays into the drive, by playing the center of the field too loosely, thereby allowing Brady a series of very low risk throws. Madden's pointing this out is actually far more impressive to me than his "retraction," which he more or less had to make since he knew football well enough to realize that he had just witnessed one of the greatest series of plays in Super Bowl history.

The Rams, as Madden observed, erred by surrendering the underneath plays (to protect against a 60 yard play), forgetting that there were almost 90 seconds on the clock and the field was in reality 52 yards long, not 82 yards; instead, Weis engineered a drive composed of 12--20 yard plays and used Out of Bounds and Spikes to stop the clock; brilliant. Not only did this series of downs introduce the sports world to the brilliance of Weis and Belichick and Brady, but it also exposed Mike Martz as a fundamentally flawed HC.

The rest was unknown, so they just decided to go for it. I still think it was the smarter play and the right choice at the time and not just in hindsight.

The Rams hadn't figured us out.

They had simply received the unspeakable gift of Prevent Defense.

But they gave that same gift back to us, bless their hearts.

He takes the snap very close to the left hash mark, so the pocket didn't extend as far as the right hash mark. The call is measured from when the ball leaves his hand; he's running when he throws it and he's clearly at the right hash mark when the ball leaves his hand.

Thanks PFS74. I was just curious at to how others perceived it.

In 2007 the Cowboys and Giants faced each other in the playoffs. Keep in mind that the Cowboys won both meetings in the regular season. When making pregame predictions, one of the FOX commentators picked the Giants with his sole reasoning being because "it's tough to beat a team three times in one season."

This logic drives me crazy. Sure, it is tough to beat a team three times in a season. But you're odds of beating a team three times in a season skyrocket GIVEN THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY BEAT THEM TWICE.

Let me put it in mathematical terms, what are the odds of flipping a coin to heads three times in a row. After all, it's tough to get flip heads three straight times right?

The odds are 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8. This has a 12.5% chance of occuring. So IF before doing any of the flips, you would say the odds are not good.

NOW here is where things change. What are the odds of flipping three straight heads IF the first two flips have already occurred and landed heads.

That's right, 50%.

Now, that's the probability that would be apply to the Giants/Cowboys if we consider them to be equal teams. The true reality is that if Cowboys won twice already, that means their the better team and their odds of victory in the third game would be even greater than 50%.

To provide even more of an exaggeration......if we flipped a coin 49 times and it came up heads, and we asked this FOX announcer what he thought the outcome of the 50th flip would be....he would say TAILS because it's tough to flip 50 heads in a row. The rest of us would use logic and reason to think that maybe the coin is rigged and that it will flip heads again.

Last edited:
I cant help but laugh every time I think of this one. Told to me by my local cabbie after the Chargers came to town for a playoff game, they were staying in Quincy. LT gets in a cab with a couple entourage and asks to go to a Steak house. On the drive LT is spouting out crap--"Whats Boston got?? This weather sucks, no good clubs, no good food. I mean really, what they got?" To which the cabbie responds----"RINGS". LT sits on the sidelines with his helmet on the whole game thinking about it...........

Reminds me a bit of 4th and 2 vs. Indy, but with a much better result.

Nobody is arguing Tom Brady wasn't a Field General in 2001.

But the TFB era came when he finally got control over the deep ball (I'd say that era started against Pittsburgh in the AFCCG with that long bomb to Branch).

And his Star was on the ascent.

...and still is.

Nobody is arguing Tom Brady wasn't a Field General in 2001.

But the TFB era came when he finally got control over the deep ball (I'd say that era started against Pittsburgh in the AFCCG with that long bomb to Branch).

Nope.

I don't give a rat's @$$ about the long ball.

You and I're gonna have to disagree on this one, Brother Conn.

Tom Brady's Greatness lies in his uncanny ability to Move The Chains and forge Legendary Winning Drives in the biggest games, and against the best teams, with everything riding on it.

Not once in any of those historic Drives has he slung a Bomb. :cool:

" how long have you been a black Quaterback?"
- a reporter to Doug Williams at the media day prior to the Superbowl

"all my life"
-Doug Williams

The story of the two girls in Green Bay Packer gear at a sold out Heinz field with a sign that read "WILL GIVE BLOWJOBS FOR TICKETS," and when the guys who saw it walked back forty five minutes later the sign read "WILL GIVE BLOWJOB FOR TICKET."

The story of the two girls in Green Bay Packer gear at a sold out Heinz field with a sign that read "WILL GIVE BLOWJOBS FOR TICKETS," and when the guys who saw it walked back forty five minutes later the sign read "WILL GIVE BLOWJOB FOR TICKET."

Lol...wtf:eek:

I realized the moment I posted it that it didn't fit the thread title but i still thought it was really funny.

Oh it was. Was it from the 09 game?

Oh it was. Was it from the 09 game?

I'm not really sure, it came from a steeler fan on a general NFL site. Whether it's true or urban myth i don't know but i still laughed.

Nope.

I don't give a rat's @$$ about the long ball.

You and I're gonna have to disagree on this one, Brother Conn.

Tom Brady's Greatness lies in his uncanny ability to Move The Chains and forge Legendary Winning Drives in the biggest games, and against the best teams, with everything riding on it.

Not once in any of those historic Drives has he slung a Bomb. :cool:

Just to be clear: I wasn't giving my personal opinion of what makes Brady great (I completely agree with you that it's his ability to get the job done by whatever means necessary). I'm simply pointing out what people generally mean when they say "TFB" (which didn't really happen until 2007, my comment above notwithstanding).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News