PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What's the funniest dumb football comment you've ever heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find a link to it as it happened in pre-internet days, but I remember when Pete Carroll was HC of the NYJ

Pete had many bungles that season, including the Marino fake spike, but what I remember most of all is one post game press conference where Pete asserted that if they just could have played 5 quarters instead of just 4, he's confident the Jets could have won the game.

:wha:

Obviously I had some concerns a few years later when he replaced Parcells.

John Madden:

"And now with no time outs i think that the Patriots with this field position...you have to just run the clock out, you have to play for overtime here. You don't want to force anything here, you don't want to do anything stupid because you have no time outs and you're backed up....I don't agree with what the Patriots are doing right here. I would play for overtime....

And the rest, as they say, is history!

Lol
Terry Bradshaw

“I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid"

Last edited:
FSU coach-"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."

o_O`

Last edited:
I can't find a link to it as it happened in pre-internet days, but I remember when Pete Carroll was HC of the NYJ

Pete had many bungles that season, including the Marino fake spike, but what I remember most of all is one post game press conference where Pete asserted that if they just could have played 5 quarters instead of just 4, he's confident the Jets could have won the game.

Funny that you bring this up.

As I was reading the other quotes ~ we seem to've morphed into "funny" without the need for "dumb" ~ I was remembering one of MY favorite all time funny moments...I don't remember exactly how he put it, though, so I'm hoping somebody here remembers it better:

It was after the Patriots beat the Jets, just about when you're talking about, and some poor fool Patriots reporter made the mistake of asking Coach Bill I if he'd "outcoached" Pete Carroll. :eek:

Anyone?? :D

Lol
Terry Bradshaw

“I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid"
Thomas Henderson
Bradshaw is so dumb he couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c and the a.
Context: SB week, before Bradshaw's Steelers beat Henderson's Cowboys.

More context: Bradshaw was dumb enough to land a multimillion dollar post career TV job, Henderson was smart enough to spend many yearS in jail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Funny that you bring this up.

As I was reading the other quotes ~ we seem to've morphed into "funny" without the need for "dumb" ~ I was remembering one of MY favorite all time funny moments...I don't remember exactly how he put it, though, so I'm hoping somebody here remembers it better:

It was after the Patriots beat the Jets, just about when you're talking about, and some poor fool Patriots reporter made the mistake of asking Coach Bill I if he'd "outcoached" Pete Carroll. :eek:

Anyone?? :D

Found it!!

"That's a dumb question.

You don't know what you're talking about. You're a jerk.

'Out-coached?' Did everyone in this room out-write you, today?"
jester.gif

Sports | Numbers Game | Seattle Times Newspaper

GOD, I loved his Post Games!! :rocker:

John Madden:

"And now with no time outs i think that the Patriots with this field position...you have to just run the clock out, you have to play for overtime here. You don't want to force anything here, you don't want to do anything stupid because you have no time outs and you're backed up....I don't agree with what the Patriots are doing right here. I would play for overtime....

Nice transcript, nice memory! And they were so pre-occupied with tieing Summerall to a possible OT Super Bowl, they really forced things.

I also had to love when the Pats were getting into range and they showed Vinatieri in pre-game warmups, Summerall said how AV looked good (paraphrasing), "Though he missed that one" - even thought the kick he was talking about was as dead center as the live kick that followed.

5 head
"we had protection problems"

Brett Favre... (comment includes anything besides "sucks", "overrated", or "joke".)

Nice transcript, nice memory! And they were so pre-occupied with tieing Summerall to a possible OT Super Bowl, they really forced things.

I also had to love when the Pats were getting into range and they showed Vinatieri in pre-game warmups, Summerall said how AV looked good (paraphrasing), "Though he missed that one" - even thought the kick he was talking about was as dead center as the live kick that followed.

I have to admit that every few months I do watch the clip on the net. Those three or four minutes remain among the favorites of my life. When Madden started talking, all I could think was "he's back coaching the Raiders and the Patriots are his hated rival and he just can't bear the thought that they might win this game."

Of course he made up for it a few moments later when, after Tommy spiked the ball, he said, "What Tom Brady just did gives me goosebumps."

Just another JO brainfart :D

When Dennis Miller was doing MNF the Pats were playing the Jets and he said, paraphrasing, The Patriots have Damien Woody at center and the Jets owner is Woody Johnson so I think this game comes down to who has the biggest woody.

I was watching the game with friends and we all had that wow did I just hear that right look on our faces and then we all blew apart laughing.

Kornheiser was doing a Patriots game and the Pats smoked the Vikings, 2006 if the memory is right. So at one point with the Pats already up by at least 20 the Vikings get back to back sacks. So naturally on third down they bring heat again and it's a screen to Faulk and the Pats pickup a 3rd and 15-20. First down another screen to Faulk for 15-20. Vikings naturally back off after that.

5 or 6 plays later Kornheiser ask Jaws in an arrogant tone that suggests he gets it, Jaws the Vikings were having great success with the blitz why did they get away from it?

Jaws in a shocked but sarcastic tone, did you miss the screen passes?

John Madden:

"...and now I kinda like what the Patriots are doing..."

:rofl:

...BOOM....so do I bud, so do I...:)

John Madden:

"Bob Kraft isn't cheap"

:p :D

When Dennis Miller was doing MNF the Pats were playing the Jets and he said, paraphrasing, The Patriots have Damien Woody at center and the Jets owner is Woody Johnson so I think this game comes down to who has the biggest woody.

Ya, that was the same broadcast where he said "I have seen bloodlines this mixed since the house of Plantagenet". He's a funny guy to some audiences, but not Monday night football.

One of the funniest dumb comments I've heard lately was "the lockout was good for the NFL".

Last edited:
"Brees is too risky, let's sign Culpepper"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back