PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What's the forum's opinion on Jared Goff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be generous to call him the 3rd best QB of his draft class. Arguably he isn't even that high.

Too early but i would guess bust. Most guys who are going to succeed show some swagger or command at least in the huddle even if early. I never got that feeling from him. Here are the main things i look at for a very young QB.

Does he seem panicked?
Does he show pocket presence?
Does he keep track of down and distance and clock management?
Does he take delay of game penalties (losing track of things)?
Do his teammates react to him positively on the field (give you a feeling of his leadership)?

Last edited:
The Rams suck and as long as Jeff Fisher is head coach offensive players like Goff and Gurley will never thrive. Even the Browns are in better shape than the Rams are.

He looks like a raw prospect who could get David Carr'd behind that OL before the game even slows down for him.

He looks like a raw prospect who could get David Carr'd behind that OL before the game even slows down for him.
I wonder how good Carr could have been had they not ruined him.

I probably watch more Rams games than anyone else on the board because a very good friend of mine is a big Rams fan (who now roots against the team so Fisher will get fired.) It's really tough to tell how good Goff is or can be, because, like Todd Gurley, he's been placed in an impossible situation. His offensive line is terrible, his receivers are terrible, and—most importantly—the coaching staff is an abomination. Fisher is deplorable and Rob Boras is an idiot who never called plays anywhere better than Benedictine University until late last season.

I thought they did the right thing by redshirting him, no matter how many draft picks they gave up to get him. But it doesn't matter now. He's starting and Jeff Fisher will be there until kingdom come. Their top receivers will remain journeyman Kenny Britt and useless, hands of stone gadget player Tavon Austin.

Like Sam Bradford, the best thing he could probably do is just get hurt for a few years until the Rams ship him off to somewhere else where he can begin a real career.

He will be a bust because of the team that drafted him. Poor fellow is dead in the water thanks to Fisher.

He will be a bust because of the team that drafted him. Poor fellow is dead in the water thanks to Fisher.

It would be funny if they add a clause to the next CBA giving the top 5 drafted players the option to decline going to the team that selected them (without implications) because they suck.

I'd laugh my ass off reading things like this for real

Facebook-Lmao-Via-NotBleacherReport-Black-Adam-Schefter-ad2751.png

Too early to tell and stuck with a coaching staff & a team that is not going to take him anywhere. He'll probably flame out because of these things, no matter what his potential at this point...

mediocre player on a bad team coached by a QB killer.

He looked like he had difficulty trying to go through his progressions. I don't know much about the kid so i don't know if he doesn't have the ability or he just hasn't had enough reps.

He looked terrible. I didn't understand why the announcers kept going on about his "tremendous talent", his arm looked average to me.

I am not, and was never, sold on Goff as the #1 overall pick. He looks like he locks on to receivers too quick, misses CB blitzes regularly and doesn't have the "I am the man" type of attitude you need to play QB at an elite level. I think Goff's ceiling (and this is assuming Fisher gets canned after next year and he gets some weapons) is Carson Palmer. He isn't as big or strong, but I think he has up and down play for his career.

Wentz however, I am pretty much sold on. If Philly can get multiple decent receiving threats (as opposed to the bums that they have now), I can see him as a rising star. Wentz looks like a franchise quarterback who is going through an up and down rookie year to me. He has excellent command of the huddle and is trying to overcome some shoddy play-calling and horrific offensive personnel.

I remember watching his 5-pick game against Utah, thinking "Yikes, he can't read a defense." Similar to Vinny Testaverde's title game against Penn State. Maybe Vinny is a good comparable: Will struggle early, but get better through experience and become a decent starter. Like Vinny, though, he'll always have some kind of blind spot or ceiling that he just can't overcome, preventing him from becoming a superstar that one hopes to get from a first overall pick.

Regards,
Chris

Goff stinks!

....2 more years with that fool fisher. almost a guaranteed bust!!

I didn't see anything because Jeff Fisher sucks.

I completely disagree.

A team should always develop a QB. In fact I think the NFL should allow a team to "Redshirt" a rookie QB as an additional roster spot so that they can develop a QB.

IMO, throwing any QB who has, at best, faced defensive college programs with great 2-3 developed talent into the fire against NFL defensive programs who have elite talent with 5-10 years of development is a joke.

I wholly disagree. Luck played year one. Manning played year one. Just as examples. Hell Wilson played year one and he was a 3rd.

What do they have in common? Elite college QBs in big programs.

You are missing the point big time. If you are going to pick a QB number one overall, he better be able to step in day on in TC to play. Period. If he can't then don't pick him there. It's quite simple. They just flat out aren't worth it.

I wholly disagree. Luck played year one. Manning played year one. Just as examples. Hell Wilson played year one and he was a 3rd.

What do they have in common? Elite college QBs in big programs.

You are missing the point big time. If you are going to pick a QB number one overall, he better be able to step in day on in TC to play. Period. If he can't then don't pick him there. It's quite simple. They just flat out aren't worth it.

I'm not missing the point. Peyton and Luck sucked their first years. And they were rare once in a decade type QB's.. There is a reason why many QB's fail.

The only two things being picked #1 means is that you are going to get thrown into the fire because you are being picked by a team with the worst record and that you probably are going to get an extra year or two to play because you were a number 1 pick.

You can't expect a QB to come out of college and face an NFL level defense and expect them to "get it" right away. Peyton and Luck "developed" while playing because they were given the latitude to do so.

Personally I would never pick a QB with the first pick. I would rather trade it and try to build a stout Offensive line which helps both passing and rushing games.

Goff is average at best imo and not worthy of the first pick in the draft. And like others have said, if your pick is that high they should be able to play almost right out of the gate. If they can't, find a player that can. Like him or not Cam and Luck are the only qbs in probably a decade 100% worthy of the first pick. Both heisman winners and have size to take a beating with mobility as a bonus.

You know what, I take it back. Goff sucks. His ceiling=Ryan Fitzpatrick/Josh McCown.

I said this before the draft and I will say it again. Goff is a system qb who struggles to take snaps under center, he can not read defenses and his decision making and accuracy are marginal at best!

He is the 5th grader asked to read at a college level!

Ps: no qb in this upcoming draft had a first round grade in my book! Teams should wait for Rosen in 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes