PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What's the Best Sandwich shop in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't found many sandwich shops in eastern Mass. that are better than a chain like D'Angelo's. With the smaller shops, Either the bread sucks, the meats suck, the toppings suck or some combination of the three happens.

I generally agree with this but there are some gems, but my bigger problem is I feel D'Angelo's has gotten worse lately. one location near me closed the other is crap and the one near work isnt much better.

My Fall River tailgate group's favorite is Marcucci's on Bedford St. Amazingly cheap. A 27" long Italian is $9.50. The crab meat is $11 for the same size.
The bread has a nice chew.

Nothing against the fine Greek people, but in Massachusetts where I've lived, all of the sub and pizza shops are this same formulaic stale bread sandwiches + fried carpet pizza that seems to all come from the same miserable distribution company.

I've heard that it is a common path to immigration for Greeks in this area, sort of a turn key business they can get into easily, but the value is that it is turn-key, not because they have intense love of making sandwiches and pizza.

And the worst part is that they rarely serve any Greek food (which I love) and instead just turn out crappy versions of Italian dishes.

That's why everyone is toasting the Jersey sandwich shops - they have Italians making the Italian food and the Greeks do something else.

(Hopefully this didn't sound racist, I didn't intend it to be)

The best rubin around is, Barry's Village Deli, 6 Windsor Road
Waban Square
Newton, MA 02468
The biggest cheese steak is, Carl's Steak Subs, 55 Prospect Street, Waltham, MA 02453

Katz Deli- Woodbridge, CT for a good Jewish Deli

Bravo! All this talk of "subs" in Massachusetts...:nono:

(Local pride aside, though, I too admit that Jersey is sandwich heaven. Great place for diners, too. The Boston diner scene is pathetic; Western Mass and and Connecticut fare better.)

Like the world Famous "Miss Florence' diner in Florence, MA.?

Anyone for a Central Connecticut steamed cheeseburger, with the classic onions, peppers and mustard? Anyone?

Speaking of New Haven, wasn't that supposed;y invented at Louie's?

Last edited:
Waban Square
Newton, MA 02468
The biggest cheese steak is, Carl's Steak Subs, 55 Prospect Street, Waltham, MA 02453

Oliva's in Milford, MA is a great place, as suggested earlier in this thread. I'll be checking out these two places sometime before the superbowl!

I generally agree with this but there are some gems, but my bigger problem is I feel D'Angelo's has gotten worse lately. one location near me closed the other is crap and the one near work isnt much better.

Please tell me you and DI aren't suggesting D'Angelo's in this thread. :eek: It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I can see that the simple peasant food of Cambridge -- hummus, avocadoes, sprouts, ciabatta -- doesn't have many followers on this thread ... ;)

err...umm...ok, so maybe i DID make hummus for dinner last night....

Of course you did. You're a woman! My wife loves that stuff too, as does Mike the Brit, apparently. Maybe English guys like that stuff too.

(American) Males = meat, and plenty of it.

Of course you did. You're a woman! My wife loves that stuff too, as does Mike the Brit, apparently. Maybe English guys like that stuff too.

(American) Males = meat, and plenty of it.

Oh, yeah. Of course, by Cambridge standards I count as a chauvinist pig (he likes football, for goodness sakes!) but I freely admit to not eating that much meat. Still, if you want a REALLY top meat sandwich, you have to come by my house and eat my version of the Jamie Oliver Steak Sarnie.

Recipe below:

The Best Steak Sarnie from Jamie's Book "Happy Days with the Naked Chef"

1 ciabatta loaf or baguette
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 x 295gr/10oz rump steak
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
e.v. olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 -2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 handful of rocket or watercress

Place your ciabatta just to warm in the oven for a few minutes at 100C/225F/gas 1/4. Season your steak and then sprinkle it with rosemary. Slice it across in half, place the slices one at a time between 2 pieces of clingfilm and bash with a flat heavy object like a pot or cleaver, or even your fist until 1cm / 1/2 inch thick. Rub with a little e.v. olive oil, place on a very hot griddle or frying pan and sear each side for a minute, this will cook the meat pink, but you can cook it less or more to your liking. Remove to a plate, squeeze over the lemon juice and allow to rest while you cut your ciabatta in half lengthways and drizzle the cut sides with a little e.v. olive oil. Smear a massive dollop of Dijon mustard over the bread, put your steak and rocket on top, then drizzle over any juice from the meat. Squeeze together and eat!!

Please tell me you and DI aren't suggesting D'Angelo's in this thread. :eek: It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I'm not suggesting it. I'm noting, with sadness, that few sandwich shops in the NE area are any better than D'Angelo's.

In order to be a sandwich shop worth a damn, IMO, you've got to make, at a minimum, solid/great:

Steak, cheese, etc...
Meatball
Corned beef/Pastrami
Italian

It's damned near impossible to find any shops in New England that can do that.

l.jpg

I agree thats right up there - but for the best RI Federal Hill sandwiches or pizza Caserta's leaves em all behind.

The Wimpy Skimpy is excellent - but I'm just happy with their pizza with red sauce alone

Take a look at those photos and tell me your mouth doesn't water!

Rhode Island Dining: Caserta Pizzeria « Off The Broiler

Ed Morabito's "Cuban Revolution" has some great twists on a Cuban sandwich right on the outskirts of Providence as well. Actually there's a good number of Ethnic Sandwiches throughout Rhody.

I was present at the invention of the "Turbo" many years ago from PickPockets a mediterranean deli around south county and providence - a Mediterranean Falafel Pita wrap with every meat they have, plus every topping and hot sauce that's about a foot long and 5 inches thick - I once could eat that in one sitting.

I also did a foodie tour of some other cities including Pittsburgh which I think has the best sandwiches period no matter which team they root for - tons of huge cheap "hoagies" and of course the French fries and coleslaw right in the overstuffed sandwich at Primanti's Primanti Bros. Restaurant - Pittsburgh's "Almost Famous" Sandwiches - Primanti Brothers Restaurant

And when I was in Chicago I was fortunate enough to stumble into Big Al's Beef for the fully dipped Italian beef sandwich Al's Beef - Chicago's #1 Italian Beef Franchise -'messy but great!

Last edited:
Back in the 60s in RI my dad would bring home Italian grinders from Irvs. They were great, but I have no idea if they are still around.

In Portland, ME Amatos served a terrific open face Italian sub. I worked in Portland a lot in the 80s and it was a favorite and it looks like they still serve it.

Amato's - Pizza :: Pasta :: Sandwiches - Home

Hey Joe!!!...heh...I had a Wimpy Skippy this afternoon as a matter of fact....I used to live a block away from Caserta's back in the day...

429346_363792943651243_220011099_n.jpg

I get the Tony Soprano on a half loaf of Bouno's Italian bread....then I sleep it off....dyam sandwich must weigh two pounds

Waban Square
Newton, MA 02468

Barry's has great corned beef...so does Fresser's in Randolph.

I'm not suggesting it. I'm noting, with sadness, that few sandwich shops in the NE area are any better than D'Angelo's.

In order to be a sandwich shop worth a damn, IMO, you've got to make, at a minimum, solid/great:

Steak, cheese, etc...
Meatball
Corned beef/Pastrami
Italian

It's damned near impossible to find any shops in New England that can do that.

I agree with you half way. There aren't a lot of good ones, but there are some better (and in some cases far better) that D'Angelo's. The bottom line is we, the truly good/great sandwich lovers of New England need a resource to know where to go. Where are the hidden gems, the places you drive by and wouldn't think to stop, yet inside they're making killer meatball parm. Where you can go to get a great Italian or Pastrami, etc...

THAT is exactly why this thread exists!

TC Lando's? Ever try one?

The Cheesesteak Guys

Looks like they have 4 or 5 locations in mostly central Mass, one in Waltham. I remember hearing good things about them, but it was a while ago. Hudson is close enough... gonna have to check it out!

(I'm going to weigh more than big Vince by New Years!)

Not a fan at all. I still can't believe all the hype barbecue gets down here and I've been here 10 years. I think it's the sauce that's a huge turn off for me. I've tried it several times and never once liked it.

I love BBQ have an addiction to cooking it, and I hate Carolina style BBQ. Vinegar based sauce yuck. Texas, KC and Memphis style BBQ is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes