Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Don't know where to put this.

We have all these indepth discussions of our beloved Patriots and these guys look at us as just numbers & demographics. Sounds so demeaning to what we really do here... Mods ... put it where you will or delete it ... it's just sad they don't care about the hard work that we do and the fun we have.

http://www.quantcast.com/patsfans.com

I don't think it's demeaning at all, but to each his own.

And dang, we are either a bunch of liars, or a pretty wealthy fan base.

Wealthy, old, and female, from what I can tell.

If I were to guess the composition of the posters I would not have come up with that... particularly the wealth and female part.

i find it very hard to believe there are more women here than men.

Where do they get that crap from?

How do they generate this information?

How do they generate this information?

You computer, I.E. your ip address and if you have a mac, your mac serial. Computers tell all. With just an IP address, some people would be able to steal your identity

You computer, I.E. your ip address and if you have a mac, your mac serial. Computers tell all. With just an IP address, some people would be able to steal your identity

Care to explain how? I fail to see how with my IP address, a stranger can gather my gender, education level, and income. Am I missing something?

African American women over 65 that make over 100k a year. Sounds, like your average Pats fan to me.

Care to explain how? I fail to see how with my IP address, a stranger can gather my gender, education level, and income. Am I missing something?

From my understanding the phone companies sell your information to sites like this one and zabasearch.com. There's nothing you can do about it really.

If this the quality of information available, I think they need a new business model.

They can't, and I laughed as I was reading it. Alexa is the biggest demographics gathering company online, and even they don't have that type of information. So it's impossible for them to determine income, gender, etc. without issuing a survey to all of the people who use the site. They can determine US and even what state you're visiting the site from based on IP addresses, but they can't get the I.P. information without either having us implement a script to allow them to grab the information, or they would have to pay to obtain that information from a company that you have a toolbar installed in your browser for (Yahoo, Google, Alexa, Amazon, or another third party).

Needless to say the information can't be all that accurate.

Ian

Last edited:

I don't know exactly, I'm no hacker! :p

Don't know where to put this.

We have all these indepth discussions of our beloved Patriots and these guys look at us as just numbers & demographics. Sounds so demeaning to what we really do here... Mods ... put it where you will or delete it ... it's just sad they don't care about the hard work that we do and the fun we have.

http://www.quantcast.com/patsfans.com

one, the website in question is trying to sell the information it claims to have about other web pages to companies who might be interested in buying advertising on a particular web page.

two, by asking Patsfans to update the "information" it claims to have, the website is trying to get Patsfans to do their work for them. in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the website didn't make up the "information" in the first place, just to have Patsfans correct it and give them the correct information for free.

three, whether or not the above is true, we care about this, because???...

Last edited:
o

two, by asking Patsfans to update the "information" it claims to have, the website is trying to get Patsfans to do their work for them. in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the website didn't make up the "information" in the first place, just to have Patsfans correct it and give them the correct information for free.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. The information was so blatantly inaccurate that I thought, "this is designed to elicit a response".

FWIW, that site does NOT say that more women than men read patsfans.com, or that most of us are African-American senior citizens. Each bar appears to be normalized against the full-Internet average, represented by 100 on the charts.

That being said, their demographics are pretty much garbage. I can say that with certainty after looking at their page for my own website (rank 45,001;) ) for which I know the user base well. They're massively wrong.

OTOH, the service is still new and still developing its db, and does a much better job at tasks like identifying other sites users are likely to frequent, and suitable ad keywords. (Mostly, anyway. The suggested keyword "diaper bags" is a smart match for my site, while the suggested keyword "britney spears no panties" is decidedly not!) All in all, just another guide for allocation of ad dollars like Nielsen, don't see anything particularly demeaning about it.

The Celtics & Bruins suck ... Baseball camps have not opened and it's way, way early to get any real clue on the draft except doing research.

That about sums it up for me...I'm going to see what the girls in the Parking Lot have to say about this. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST