PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Trade up! Trade up! Trade up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some people seem to think trading up is the only good deal possible. Some want to trade up without any player in mind. Some people think they are smarter than others, so this strategy will consistently work.

If so, you should be following the Saints.

This is a good article (despite the Football Outsiders link which some of you can't stand). Well worth reading.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/saints-draft-and-winners-curse

Loomis is one of the most aggressive GMs in the game on draft day for trading up. Since taking over for Ditka, who mortgaged an entire draft and then some for Ricky Williams, Loomis has made 16 pick-only trades.

8 were trades up, with 3 involving moving up in the 1st round. Another 5 involved trading future picks. And only 3 were trades back. Using career AV as a measuring stick, the trades have cost them -23.4 points, or the equivalent of the 6th overall pick. But if you only look at the trades up, it's actually worse, -33, or somewhere between the 1st and 2nd overall pick.

There's a certain ego involved in thinking you know more than everyone else. It's no different than the schmuck at home betting big on stocks after getting a hot tip from a friend, despite thousands of professionals who devote their lives to the market not being able to consistently beat it. Sure, everyone gets lucky now and then, just as a sucker wins big in Vegas from time to time. But it's not a consistent strategy.

And this looks obscure, using numbers and rounded values and blah blah blah. But let's look at the trades, particularly the trades up.

In 2014, they traded up for Brandin Cooks. It was a good pick, but they gave up their 1st and 3rd for it. The Cardinals took Deone Bucannon, and a WR in the 3rd who has done more than Cooks so far, John Brown. Cooks may end up being better, but so far, no. And the Saints also could have taken Kelvin Benjamin had they stayed put, who also had a better season than Cooks. Out of 3 WRs they could have drafted, they got the worse while losing their 3rd rounder in the process.

In 2013, they traded 2 early 4ths for a late 3rd. This isn't a huge deal but poor value. They gambled that John Jenkins would turn out to be more than just a role player, while David Bakhtiari would start every game for the Packers and Sims would be a similar level contributor to Jenkins.

In 2010, they traded up in the 4th for Al Woods. The picks they gave up didn't matter much, but Woods didn't even make the roster as a rookie, getting cut.

In 2008, Patriots fans remember the Saints trading a 3rd for our 5th to move up 3 spots to take Sedrick Ellis, who was a constant disappointment. Meanwhile we got Mayo, the superior player. Oddly, that 5th ended up being Carl Nicks, a Pro Bowl guard and one of the few stars from that draft. Hardly how they planned it though. It was reported they were trying to move up even higher for Dorsey, even offering their 2009 1st, but couldn't put it together fortunately for them. They also traded up slightly for DeMario Pressley in the 5th. Not a huge gamble, but he only lasted one season with the Saints.

In 2007, they moved up in the 4th to draft Antonio Pittman. Again, not a huge risk, but they moved up to get him, but then he didn't even make the roster as a rookie.

In 2004, they probably got the best result of a trade-up, selecting Pro Bowl fullback Mike Karney after trading a 6th and 7th for a 5th.

In 2003, they traded 2 1sts and a 2nd to move up to 6th overall and move up in the 2nd, as well as getting a 4th rounder back. The target: Johnathan Sullivan. He had 3 disappointing seasons before being traded for Bethel Johnson, then getting cut. Again, the Saints got more out of their later picks like Stinchcomb in the 2nd and Montrae Holland in the 4th than the guy they initially moved up to get.

So that's 1 out of 8 deals where the guy they targeted was worth it. They got lucky with some of the later picks or else those deals would look even worse.

What about trading the future?

We'll remember the last time they did this in 2011, because we got Shane Vereen and most of Chandler Jones for Mark Ingram.

In 2010, they traded their 2011 4th for a 5th which they used on Matt Tennant. Tennant only played 2 seasons for the Saints, bouncing around afterwards including a stint in NE. Chris Prosinski got drafted by the Jaguars, and while he had a pretty boring career, he outlasted Tennant. The pick had improved by 37 spots.

In 2009, the Saints traded their 7th rounder and a 2010 5th for a 5th round pick used on Thomas Morstead, a Pro Bowl punter. This deal seems worth it, until you realize that the 7th rounder they traded was used on Pat McAfee, a Pro Bowl punter who is superior to Morstead. That 2010 5th would bounce around a few teams, eventually being used by the Dolphins on Reshad Jones, a starting safety.

In 2008, the Saints traded their 2009 6th for a 7th rounder. The difference in picks would be 50 spots when all was said and done. The target was Adrian Arrington, who would play 5 games for the Saints. Brandon Underwood was drafted with the 2009 6th, and while he didn't have much of a career, he had a better one than Arrington.

In 2005, they gave up a future 3rd to move up 3 spots in the first round to select Jammal Brown, a Pro Bowl tackle. The Texans would draft Travis Johnson, who struggled with injuries, and Eric Winston with the 3rd. Finally, a trade the Saints can say they won.

So that's 13 deals where they aggressively traded up for someone, and maybe twice, you could say they were right about that player.

They've only traded down 3 times. It's interesting to see just how beneficial that was, yet they haven't figured this out.

In 2007, they moved down 8 spots from the late 2nd to early 3rd, and picked up a 5th rounder for it. While the Saints got maybe 3 years out of Usama Young and nothing out of Jones with the extra 5th, it was still more than the Lions got for trading up to draft Ikaika Alama-Francis (had to copy/paste that).

In 2004, the Vikings would give the Saints a 5th to move up 2 spots in the 2nd, drafting Dontarriuous Thomas, who would play 4 seasons for them as a role player. The Saints drafted Deverey Henderson, who had a much better career and was a key player in their 2009 championship. The 5th would be used in another trade-down later with Washington, who moved up for Chris Cooley. The Saints would blow the 5th on Rodney Leisle, but the 2005 2nd they got would be used on Josh Bullocks, who started 49 games for them over 4 seasons, although Cooley was the best player in that transaction.

I wouldn't call any of those decisive wins, but 2 out of 3 were good deals, while the 3rd wasn't a total blowout like some of the trade-ups.

This doesn't mean you should always trade down. But the odds are often against you, and the Saints found some of the later picks were better than their targeted guys in several trades. Aggressive does not mean brilliant. Conviction does not equal correct. We traded up for Jones and Hightower. We also traded up for Graham and Chad Jackson.

But a guy like Loomis would probably be appreciated around here by some folks, even if the results are terrible.

Belichick trades up as often as he trades down. Both Jones and Hightower, for example, are in N.E. because BB traded up.

As with any other way of working the draft, trading up is as (in)effective as the picks you make once you get there.

Jeff Howe wrote on this recently:

Bill Belichick annually maneuvers up, down and all around the draft board with more voracity than any of his counterparts, and the Patriots are equipped with the capital to do it again this week if they so please.

In Belichick’s 15 drafts, the Patriots have traded up 17 times and down 17 times. Some of those transactions have benefitted the organization with franchise-caliber players, while others have been little more than a fart in the wind.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...bill_belichick_era_patriots_have_mastered_nfl

I could see a trade up...i could also see a trade down...i won't be surprised or mad at either (i think)

Id be willing to trade up to 31 if there is a player we really want available. #frugal

I love Gurley. If he falls to the 20ies, i would trade up. Were he healthy and had the RB value not fallen so much over the last years, he would be a Top 7.

I wouldn't trade up for another prospect on the first round (unless something crazy occurs, like a free fall of another blue chip - Shane Ray is not on that list )

I hope BB trades at some point. He has great success with trade ups in the draft. He has a very good hit % of players when he trades up to get them. If that happens I will feel confident the player will work out.

Here's how it all works: if a team doesn't want to stay with the pick they're currently sitting at they can either trade up or they can trade down.

John Madden inspired logic used above ;)

Here is my prediction.

We have nine picks. I seriously can't see nine rookies making the team, therefore a trade down where we end up with 11 or 12 picks may not make the most sense.

I really see a scenario where we sell multiple picks to teams that are in panic mode, and get higher round picks next year. Then gain, we may trade up a few places to get a player with one of the lower rounders.

I may be totally wrong, and there is a reason I am sat at home whilst Bill runs the draft room.

I can't wait, either way!

I feel like a marooned football fan crawling on my belly dying of thirst in the Saharadell desert while mirages of an oasis of fresh player picks dance tantalizingly on the horizon,

Back when this site was in its infancy, I traveled to North Carolina to watch the draft with Dolphin, Jet and Bills fans I met online at the Miami Herald board, NY Times board and the unofficial NEP.com. I brought down a crate of lobsters and a couple of bushels of shellfish and partied with a bunch of wackos whose primary love in life, besides their families, was NFL football. We busted chops all day and night, ate like kings, drank home made shine and raised our beers to the best damn league on the planet.

Now look at it. It's a mangled bastardization of corporate greed overkill being squeezed like a year old lemon of its last drop of juice...in FREAKIN' MAY!

While it's true the Pats don't seem to have room for 9 or more draft picks to make the team, I don't think it necessarily means a trade up is the best course of action.

If the Pats can move up to take a player they love, I'm all for it. But it shouldn't be about roster numbers. If we end up drafting only 5 or 6 players, we can't simply assume they all work out just fine. Even the best draft classes of all time have misses in them. That's the reality of the NFL.

Plus, open roster spots change quickly based on how a player looks in practice. The day we signed Malcolm Butler, did anyone see an open spot in the secondary?

I still like the Jimmy Johnson approach of listing all the players you'd really like to have throughout the draft and trying to get as many as you can. Again, I'm all for moving up to land the player the team thinks can be special, I just don't think we should purposely draft fewer prospects based on perceived open roster spots 5 months before the season starts.

Here is my prediction.

We have nine picks. I seriously can't see nine rookies making the team, therefore a trade down where we end up with 11 or 12 picks may not make the most sense.

I really see a scenario where we sell multiple picks to teams that are in panic mode, and get higher round picks next year. Then gain, we may trade up a few places to get a player with one of the lower rounders.

I may be totally wrong, and there is a reason I am sat at home whilst Bill runs the draft room.

I can't wait, either way!
I don't see nine rookies making the team. But I also don't see us hitting on every player, especially not in the mid rounds. Which is why I think the "we have more picks than we have roster space" argument is a bit flawed. Having several picks there increases our chances to get hits. Which is good because the hit rate in the mid rounds aren't that great.

Belichick trades up as often as he trades down. Both Jones and Hightower, for example, are in N.E. because BB traded up.

As with any other way of working the draft, trading up is as (in)effective as the picks you make once you get there.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...bill_belichick_era_patriots_have_mastered_nfl

Agreed, although one overlooked aspect of the Jones trade UP was that it was fueled largely by the trade BACK with the Saints in 2011. There is a balance to BB, where he trades back often enough to have ammo to move up for certain guys without sacrificing a ton of picks like Loomis has, and Howe's note sums it up perfectly.

Here's how it all works: if a team doesn't want to stay with the pick they're currently sitting at they can either trade up or they can trade down.

John Madden inspired logic used above ;)

:D

There is a third option where you're stuck and you have to make the pick. It takes two to tango, and teams are starting to catch on to some of these tricks.

Thank you for this quote, DI.

"In Belichick’s 15 drafts, the Patriots have traded up 17 times and down 17 times. Some of those transactions have benefited the organization with franchise-caliber players, while others have been little more than a fart in the wind." - Jeff Howe

That helps to explain my belief that one can never underestimate a good fart in the wind.

"In Belichick’s 15 drafts, the Patriots have traded up 17 times and down 17 times. Some of those transactions have benefited the organization with franchise-caliber players, while others have been little more than a fart in the wind." - Jeff Howe

This info would be more credible is Howe clarified how many of these trades occurred round by round, do not recall that many trade ups in the first round.. if my beleaguered memory serves me well this occurs primarily after the first round..

So it does not mean all that much..

Not sure Loomis would be welcomed here all that much, many Saints fans I know are ready to start calling them the "Aints" again and there is a run on paper bags in NOLA... they are really pissed off about the Jimmy Graham trade.. my nephew threw out all of his Saints gear.. and is now a died in the wool Pats Fan.

I love Gurley. If he falls to the 20ies, i would trade up. Were he healthy and had the RB value not fallen so much over the last years, he would be a Top 7.

I wouldn't trade up for another prospect on the first round (unless something crazy occurs, like a free fall of another blue chip - Shane Ray is not on that list )

I like Gurely too but if a Top 20 CB, pocket-collapsing DT or road-grading OL/G drops to the Pats I'd rather make those choices.

Gronk is a Patriot because of a trade up as well. Some of our best players are direct results of trading up.

I could see the Patriots trying to trade up this year to jump the Colts for Eddie Goldman. Not saying it will happen but I have been getting that feeling this week. If Goldman is gone it would take another exceptional player dropping to make then try to trade up.

I feel like a marooned football fan crawling on my belly dying of thirst in the Saharadell desert while mirages of an oasis of fresh player picks dance tantalizingly on the horizon,

Back when this site was in its infancy, I traveled to North Carolina to watch the draft with Dolphin, Jet and Bills fans I met online at the Miami Herald board, NY Times board and the unofficial NEP.com. I brought down a crate of lobsters and a couple of bushels of shellfish and partied with a bunch of wackos whose primary love in life, besides their families, was NFL football. We busted chops all day and night, ate like kings, drank home made shine and raised our beers to the best damn league on the planet.

Now look at it. It's a mangled bastardization of corporate greed overkill being squeezed like a year old lemon of its last drop of juice...in FREAKIN' MAY!

You make me want to laugh and or blow a League office up in the same goddamn posts lately.

This info would be more credible is Howe clarified how many of these trades occurred round by round, do not recall that many trade ups in the first round.. if my beleaguered memory serves me well this occurs primarily after the first round..

So it does not mean all that much..

Not sure Loomis would be welcomed here all that much, many Saints fans I know are ready to start calling them the "Aints" again and there is a run on paper bags in NOLA... they are really pissed off about the Jimmy Graham trade.. my nephew threw out all of his Saints gear.. and is now a died in the wool Pats Fan.

It means plenty. And I've already given 2 examples of them trading up in the first round. The specific numbers aren't nearly as important as the fact that it's been done. You may have missed this line in the OP, with regards to Loomis:

8 were trades up, with 3 involving moving up in the 1st round.

We're not talking about something that happens every year, here, for Loomis, Belichick, or anyone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back