PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: TO gets contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Looks like the Cowgirls are getting ready for that uncapped year.

Cowboys give Owens new 4-year, $34 million deal
ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 2, 2008, 8:12 PM ET

This is definitely not the same T.O.

Without the controversy that led to his departure from Philadelphia, Terrell Owens quietly received a new contract with the Dallas Cowboys on Monday, team sources told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The wide receiver was slated to earn $7 million this season in the last year of his contract, but he now receives a four-year, $34 million deal. Owens is slated to earn $27 million over the next three seasons, making him -- along with Randy Moss, Javon Walker and Larry Fitzgerald -- one of the highest paid wide receivers in the league.

Owens will receive $12.9 million to sign and $100,000 of his $830,000 2008 base salary guaranteed, for a total of $13 million guaranteed. He is now under contract through 2011.

In 2004, Owens was heading into the second year of a seven-year, $48.97 million contract with the Eagles when he began squawking about a new deal. He showed up for training camp wearing camouflage, signifying he was at war with the organization, and wound up getting sent home, leading to the bizarre scene of him giving interviews while doing sit-ups in his driveway. The saga dragged on for months, ending with a suspension, then his release.

He signed a three-year, $25 million contract with Dallas in March 2005 and has certainly lived up to it, leading the team in receiving both years while piling up club records. His 28 touchdown catches over the last two seasons are more than any other receiver, and that includes Moss, who set the league record for TDs in a single-season last year.

The guy is going to be 35 in December. He might hit the age wall before the first year of his extension even starts. WRs usually hit the age wall hard and fast in their mid 30s. All you have to do is look at guys like Rod Smith, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Isaac Bruce, Eric Moulds, etc.

The guy is going to be 35 in December. He might hit the age wall before the first year of his extension even starts. WRs usually hit the age wall hard and fast in their mid 30s. All you have to do is look at guys like Rod Smith, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Isaac Bruce, Eric Moulds, etc.

If he was 30, I'd have said this deal was very dallas friendly.
Given that he's 35, and its a 3 year 27 mil add on (since he would've been paid 7 mil this year without that); I see the first 2 years as being 'safe bets', and the last 2 being huge risks on Dallas's part.

I'm also not sure he would've gotten that kind of money next offseason from another team as he still hasn't proven that his 'nice teammate' thing is transferable

Given that he's 35, and its a 3 year 27 mil add on (since he would've been paid 7 mil this year without that); I see the first 2 years as being 'safe bets', and the last 2 being huge risks on Dallas's part.

I'm also not sure he would've gotten that kind of money next offseason from another team as he still hasn't proven that his 'nice teammate' thing is transferable

I don't even know if the first two years are a safe bet. I don't know if I would bet the farm that TO will not hit the age wall this year. Smith went from 1106 yards and 6 TDs in 2005 to 516 yards and 3 TDs in 2006. Cris Carter went from 1275 yards and 9 TDs to 871 yards and 6 TDs the next. There is not usually a slow decline with WR. It happens fast and hard.

well dont forget, he now has Moss on his team. Oh wait, that was another one of them things that was gonna happen, but didnt...imagin that?

This much money for a 35 year old receiver? Is Jerry Jones paying this much cash because he thinks TO will continue to produce at the same level for two more years? Or is it a fee to keep him from becoming the distraction he has been elsewhere, and was starting to hint he would be once again?

This much money for a 35 year old receiver? Is Jerry Jones paying this much cash because he thinks TO will continue to produce at the same level for two more years? Or is it a fee to keep him from becoming the distraction he has been elsewhere, and was starting to hint he would be once again?

The latter sounds much more likely.

In our flag football league, whenever anyone drop a pass we're like "dont pull a T.O. now" Good reputation to have.

Jones knows after the lockout year he won't have to pay.

Jerry Jones and TO both deserve what they are getting: each other, and no SB rings. And SonofaBum Phillps as their HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News