Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT Tim Tebow to Stay at Florida

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by maverick4, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

QB Tim Tebow to bypass draft, remain at Florida - ESPN

I have mixed feelings on this. Tebow is only the 5th player ever to win the Heisman and 2 national titles, and he still has one more year to play. I am generally FOR players finishing all 4 years, and I can see the rationale that he could use the extra year to become a better pocket passer, BUT...

Look at these numbers:
    Tim Tebow Stats, News, Photos - Florida Gators - NCAA College Football - ESPN

I really don't see what else the guy can improve upon by staying in college ball. He has already won the big one twice, plus the Heisman. The last two seasons he's passed 32td/6int and 30td/4int, an incredible ratio.

I think he's making a mistake, and could learn much more next year with a pro team, learning the pro system. Oh well, it worked out great the last time this happened for Matt Leinart!!!

2. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +88 / 5 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think this is the best thing he could do. With a chance to win another Heisman and championship, he could accomplish more in college than anyone in history.

3. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

plus he isnt getting drafted anywhere near where he wanted to

4. Real American Hero

Real American Hero Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Matt Leinart played in a pro system and came just short of winning a piece of 3 straight national championships in a game where the last team with the ball and time on the clock was going to win. He may have gone earlier the year before, but he was still a first round pick either way. A gamble that didn't pay off but didn't destroy him.

Tebow plays in a gimmick offense and is a second day pick for any team that isn't reaching. Maybe he improves that status next year if he wins a second Heisman? His signing bonus may be the biggest pay day he ever receives.

5. dhamz

dhamz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No comparison between Leinart and Tebow. Leinart ended up going from the undisputed top pick to out of the top 10. His draft status could only stay the same or go down when he stayed in school.

Tebow is a mid round pick today. He'll probably be a mid round pick at this time next year. It is doubtful that gets worse and could possibly get better. In the meantime he gets to continue what has a chance to be the all time best college career if the season goes right for him.

6. Grenouille

Grenouille Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I pretty much agree with what you guys have said about his pro prospects.

Now as a Gators fan, I'm excited to see him come back and hopefully get 3 National Titles in 4 years.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  7. Gator Mike

Gator Mike On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

Worth noting that Florida hired a QB coach with NFL experience presumably to straighten out Tebow's mechanics.

8. PJM

PJM On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd love to know if Tebow got any promises from Florida that they would coach him to play more like a pro. He is a college football legend but he does so many things that make you think he would be crushed by a pro defence.

9. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm nervous for him, but happy. It's what he wants to do. Plus, did you see that presentation he gave to the student body? He's a god in Gainesville. Not the worst experience in the world.

At the very least, he's a candidate for a Dolphin QB: Florida boy running the Wildcat.

10. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +306 / 11 / -3

I watch all 3 levels of football. High school. College and Pro. I just don't get all of
    the hating on Tebow. He's a great kid. Loves college football. Might be the best
    damn college player I've ever seen. Isn't the greatest pro-prospect. Wants to finish
    his college career. Hope he stays healthy and accomplishes as much as he can.

11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +155 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

If (insert name)* can get a starting job, so can Tebow. Having said that, as a Florida alum, I am ecstatic about his decision.

Tavaris Jackson
    Dan Orlovsky
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Any of the McCowns
    Tyler Thigpen

And the guy has infinite more talent than Matt Lienhart and actually takes the time to study film and work on his game.

12. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,780 / 9 / -2

#50 Jersey

I agree...here on an NFL messageboard it's easy to think of the NFL as the goal of college football, but it's not that way for every player. Tebow is hardly a lock to make mega-millions in a fabulous pro career, but he is a lock to be the biggest thing in college football next year, and he has a real chance of becoming one of the true legends of his game, something that lasts you a lifetime (ask Doug Flutie!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.