PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The potential alternate NFL universe if Marlon McCree doesn't fumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of thinking about that 06 divisional game vs. San Diego. It is probably one of the most unique playoff games of the BB era, and it might possibly be the most impressive, considering the major flaw we had at WR. It's easy to forget, but that Chargers team that year was incredible.

But what could the NFL universe potentially have looked like if he holds on to that football late in the game, and SD goes on to close the game out? Here's what I think:

-San Diego would've gone in and beat the Colts the next week, no doubt about it. For one, Indy would've been on the road, and had a historically bad run defense. The Chargers also just happened to have LT, who was having quite possibly the best season for a RB of all time. It's like mixing pop rocks and Coke, Indy's run D would've been absolutely torched. San Diego would've then gone on to win the SB against Chicago. (Grossman? Lol) Which means a multitude of things...

No ring for Manning: Manning would not have ever gotten his first ring, which completely changes his legacy back into the guy who was completely allergic to winning championships. As the years went on, Peyton's teams would deteriorate, especially after losing to the Saints in 09.

This also means that the Colts never move on from the Galactic Forehead, due to ownership desperately wanting to get him a ring. His teams slowly fade into mediocrity due to hanging around the incompetent era of Grigson and Pagano, and he never gets the talent surrounding him for a ring. All he accomplishes is filling the stadium with conference championship banners.

All of this also means that the Colts are never bad enough to "Suck for Luck", and Luck ends up being drafted by Cleveland, the original holders of the #2 pick in the 2012 draft, which now becomes the #1. (But that's a whole 'nother story.Plus we know what horrible things Cleveland would have done to his career. ;) )

As for the Chargers? They don't end up leaving San Diego due to them bringing home a Lombardi, which leads to the city of San Diego and the team compromising more into a deal for a new stadium. (Keep in mind that even ten years ago they were trying to pass a new stadium in the city, a SB win would've likely greased the wheels into a new palace.) This also drastically changes a few legacies, as Philip Rivers is now considered a HOF QB, and Marty Schottenheimer's playoff legacy becomes a bit less pathetic with a ring on his finger.

As for us in all of this? No worries, we only continue to dominate as per ususal. :rolleyes:

What would have happened if Walt Coleman upheld the call on the field of fumble?

I love that game.

That was the football equivalent to Ward/Gotti.

Pats weathered haymakers all day and multiple standing 8 counts and won on a split decision.

The part about Indy having an awful run defense isn't true, they turned it around in the playoffs and became one of the best defenses in the league. Nobody was able to run on them in the playoffs.

The part about Indy having an awful run defense isn't true, they turned it around in the playoffs and became one of the best defenses in the league. Nobody was able to run on them in the playoffs.
LT in 06 regardless would've been a whole new test for them, not to mention if there was any other team that constantly gave Manning fits back then, it was the Chargers. (I.E. The 6 INT game, and knocking him out of the playoff the next two years after that.)

Alright, so that's an interesting scenario for how Peyton could have zero rings.

Let's take a more positive approach and see another hypotehical........

If Drew Bledsoe throws the ball away instead of taking the hit from Mo Lewis then he doesn't get hurt. He stays the starter while Brady's talents remain untapped on the bench.

The Patriots aren't good to enough to make the playoffs and prevent Manning from winning it all in 2003 and 2004.

Therefore, without Mo Lewis' hit Manning could have 4 rings and be hands down regarded as the greatest quarterback of all time.

LT in 06 regardless would've been a whole new test for them, not to mention if there was any other team that constantly gave Manning fits back then, it was the Chargers. (I.E. The 6 INT game, and knocking him out of the playoff the next two years after that.)
Good chance the Chargers win but, Bob Sanders had single handedly turned that defense around.

What if the Patriots beat the Colts and beat the Bears in SB41?

What if.....

...Whatever. I'm quite happy with how things have turned out. No complaints here.

Alright, so that's an interesting scenario for how Peyton could have zero rings.

If Drew Bledsoe throws the ball away instead of taking the hit from Mo Lewis then he doesn't get hurt. He stays the starter while Brady's talents remain untapped on the bench.

The Patriots aren't good to enough to make the playoffs and prevent Manning from winning it all in 2003 and 2004.

Therefore, without Mo Lewis' hit Manning could have 4 rings and be hands down regarded as the greatest quarterback of all time.
I wonder if Manning beats Carolina in 03, or Pittburgh in 04, though.

What if.....

...Whatever. I'm quite happy with how things have turned out. No complaints here.
Oh, definitely. It's just fun to think about these things.

I always considered Marty's firing after the loss as one of the more bizarre happenings in NFL history. Not only that, but no other club ever offered him the position of head coach - after a 14-2 season! I know his playoff record is pitiful, but Marvin Lewis has yet to win a playoff game in 14 years and still has a job. Schottenheimer was a good coach, definitely better than the average, who just played too conservatively in the playoffs.

I always considered Marty's firing after the loss as one of the more bizarre happenings in NFL history. Not only that, but no other club ever offered him the position of head coach - after a 14-2 season! I know his playoff record is pitiful, but Marvin Lewis has yet to win a playoff game in 14 years and still has a job. Schottenheimer was a good coach, definitely better than the average, who just played too conservatively in the playoffs.
Andy Reid Sr., really.

I never understood the firing either. I can't imagine what was going on in that FO.

Peyton as the Goat. No Brady. This scenario is too dark for me to even hypothetically consider lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back