PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Texas Tech fires Mike Leach

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is that Leach only got fired because James's dad does work for ESPN and intervened PUBLICLY on his kid's behalf.

Don't think for a minute that this doesn't has everything to do with MONEY. TV revenue/exposure=bigtime $ for the university. All Adam's daddy had to do was put in a phone call to the Chancellor, good ole boy politician Kent Hance, and everything is taken care of--ESPN/ABC coverage and money keeps coming as long as you don't embarass the Bristol boys.

Do you think guys like Woody Hays, Bo Schembeckler, or Bear Bryant ever did anything like this to motivate their players? I'm sure some of the stuff they did would warrant a lynching in this day and age.

I don't agree with what Leach did, I just think there's a lot more to this story than meets the eye.

As someone who works at a school, and who has had to answer pissant complaints after my bosses start an inquiry--Yes, I do think any father of a football player could have launched the same complaint. And the university would need to take it seriously. There's an official process for doing this.

On the other hand, the process doesn't say you need to suspend anyone.

The problem is that Leach didn't like being questioned formally on this. I ca sympathize. neither did I. But rather than tell my bosses to stick a pin in their eye, I explained myself as part of the process, and the administrator didn't even bother answering me, he just cc'd the parent complaining my explanation (apparently, I had offended little Johnny with my bad language).

I'm not saying that the administrators didn't have it out for him, but he gave them a lot more ammunition than they needed. James can't sit back just because he works at ESPN.

This is the best explanation I've seen. From Barstoolsports.com
btw - my best friends brother goes to TT and says that Adam James is a huge douche who nobody likes...fwiw.

"I wanted to quickly weigh in on all this Mike Leach sh!t that has been going on the last couple days. Surprisingly I think he deserved to get fired. But it has nothing to do with locking Adam James in a utility closet. Obviously James was faking it with that “slight concussion” bullsh!t. Kid is just a silver spoon ****y who didn’t want to practice that week. So Leach stuck him in a closet to prove a point about playing hurt. That’s what football coaches do. They send messages like this all the time. It’s not like Mr. Joshua was in there terrorizing him or anything. He had to just sit there while the team practiced. Big deal. If this kid wasn’t a punk and his dad wasn’t Craig James this would have been an absolute non story. But where Leach went wrong is when he refused to help the school diffuse the situation. Because by all indications Texas Tech didn’t want to fire Leach. They just wanted him to basically help with damage control and say it wouldn’t happen again. This was going to be a huge story no matter what because of who it involved. Leach owed it to the school to help give the appearance they cared about this situation. Instead he just said “eff you” to his boss and dared them to fire him. In other words he left them no choice. It’s not about putting Adam James in a closet. It’s about thinking you don’t have to answer to anybody. That’s what got him canned and rightfully so."

Last edited:
btw - my best friends brother goes to TT and says that Adam James is a huge douche who nobody likes...fwiw.

"I wanted to quickly weigh in on all this Mike Leach sh!t that has been going on the last couple days. Surprisingly I think he deserved to get fired. But it has nothing to do with locking Adam James in a utility closet. Obviously James was faking it with that “slight concussion” bullsh!t. Kid is just a silver spoon ****y who didn’t want to practice that week. So Leach stuck him in a closet to prove a point about playing hurt. That’s what football coaches do. They send messages like this all the time. It’s not like Mr. Joshua was in there terrorizing him or anything. He had to just sit there while the team practiced. Big deal. If this kid wasn’t a punk and his dad wasn’t Craig James this would have been an absolute non story. But where Leach went wrong is when he refused to help the school diffuse the situation. Because by all indications Texas Tech didn’t want to fire Leach. They just wanted him to basically help with damage control and say it wouldn’t happen again. This was going to be a huge story no matter what because of who it involved. Leach owed it to the school to help give the appearance they cared about this situation. Instead he just said “eff you” to his boss and dared them to fire him. In other words he left them no choice. It’s not about putting Adam James in a closet. It’s about thinking you don’t have to answer to anybody. That’s what got him canned and rightfully so."

While I agree with this reading of why he was fired, James did indeed have a concussion, as he was treated by a doctor who made that diagnosis.

The problem is that Leach didn't like being questioned formally on this.

I appreciate your take as someone who's been in a similar situation. However, you got that part backwards. Leach totally wanted to get everything out in the light as soon as possible. Right before his suspension hearing started, Tech got word that the judge was going to temporarily lift the suspension until he could get more information from all parties, which would have allowed Leach to coach in the Alamo bowl. So Tech's lawyer whips a dismissal letter out of his briefcase and viola--no public hearing!

Looks like Leach, a skilled lawyer himself, might end up holding the upper hand when all's said and done. These "good ole boys"--the Regents, Craig James and his SMU cronies, plus the ultimate money men (ESPN/ABC) might end up paying dearly for this one. As a Patriot fan I am reveling in that thought.

Nice find GroganCountry, and well said. Makes Leach sound a lot like another highly successful coach, reviled by the media, who makes no apologies to anyone. ;)

Looks like Leach, a skilled lawyer himself, might end up holding the upper hand when all's said and done. These "good ole boys"--the Regents, Craig James and his SMU cronies, plus the ultimate money men (ESPN/ABC) might end up paying dearly for this one. As a Patriot fan I am reveling in that thought.

Could you explain, "As a Patriot fan" comment. Surely, its not because of James being a former running back with the Pats.

I appreciate your take as someone who's been in a similar situation. However, you got that part backwards. Leach totally wanted to get everything out in the light as soon as possible. Right before his suspension hearing started, Tech got word that the judge was going to temporarily lift the suspension until he could get more information from all parties, which would have allowed Leach to coach in the Alamo bowl. So Tech's lawyer whips a dismissal letter out of his briefcase and viola--no public hearing!

I was talking about what lead up to the suspension. He refused to take part in the investigation of the allegations against him.

I read Leach's contract. at the end of it was standard boilerplate about what it means to work at a college where it's underlined that anything related to sports and the football program takes a backseat to the education and health and welfare of the students.

He really is not going to win this one

I know he's a lawyer and people say he's smart but the way he's conducted himself plus his "fat little girlfriends" thing doesn't really come off as smart to me. And then his fellow coaches and former players compounded things by making his case worse, and you could see his lawyer struggling to portray this as anything but punishment of the player because he knew that it's a losing argument. But all the bashing of James simply reinforces the argument that he was being punished. Maybe he deserved it, I'm not saying he didn't. BUT he was diagnosed with a concussion. Leach royally screwed up.

Could you explain, "As a Patriot fan" comment. Surely, its not because of James being a former running back with the Pats.

Sure, I'd be happy to explain it for you:

Craig James is an arrogant little blue-blooded b!tch who snitched out SMU to the NCAA to aggrandize himself, earning SMU the only "death penalty" in the history of college football. He is scum and he's used his position at ESPN to get special treatment for his little baby boy, and bring down a good coach's career in the process. How's that?

I could not care any less about the fact that he ONCE played for the Patriots. Are you implying that every player who's ever come through here is deserving of adulation just because they once wore the uniform?

Regarding my being a Pats fan comment, in case you don't already know, it has become pretty hard not despise ESPN if you're a fan of this team. but I thought that was pretty self explanatory.

By the way, you guys are referring to the board of trustees, right?

The regents are political figures appointed by state politicians and they oversee a range of Texas universities, not just Texas Tech.

If the Regents were behind this, it would be a fiasco since they probably have more allegiance to A&M or Austin.

Don't forget that the only reason Baylor is even in the Big 12 is because former pol Ann Richards insisted on it.

Craig James is an arrogant little blue-blooded b!tch who snitched out SMU to the NCAA to aggrandize himself, earning SMU the only "death penalty" in the history of college football. He is scum and he's used his position at ESPN to get special treatment for his little baby boy, and bring down a good coach's career in the process. How's that?

I could not care any less about the fact that he ONCE played for the Patriots. Are you implying that every player who's ever come through here is deserving of adulation just because they once wore the uniform?

Regarding my being a Pats fan comment, in case you don't already know, it has become pretty hard not despise ESPN if you're a fan of this team. but I thought that was pretty self explanatory.

You're going off on James because he's defending his kid (I'd do the same if I were in his position) and he also snitched on the crookedest program in college football history? Really?

Not to mention the fact that James didn't snitch on SMU, that SMU went down long after James left there, that he didn't aggrandize himself in that scandal, etc. The guy was a USFL player for heaven's sake.

Where are you getting your info from?

The regents are political figures appointed by state politicians and they oversee a range of Texas universities, not just Texas Tech.

If the Regents were behind this, it would be a fiasco since they probably have more allegiance to A&M or Austin.

Don't forget that the only reason Baylor is even in the Big 12 is because former pol Ann Richards insisted on it.

BINGO--not to mention to the U of Houston, plus the rest of the mega-campus University of Texas system--not just Austin. Let the conspiracy theories begin. :singing:

Last edited:
Game Time: Global Thermonuclear War In Lubbock - Houston News - Hair Balls

Here's a good article-o.

Also I saw the shed/garage in some news reports. I was thinking it was a "closet", but that's not the case. And he was being supervised by trainers. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't have done it.

I don't see what the big deal is...he said he had a concussion, so they told him to go someplace dark and quiet. What were they supposed to do? Just tell him to go home, I guess. It's not like he was imprisoned. It is possible that they doubted his concussion, how do you prove such a thing, and maybe that's not good...you must take a player's word for it, or a doctor's (but the doctor's only know what the kid tells them).

Seems a little bit of an overreaction-aroo on the part of everyone.

I don't think James alone got SMU busted, it was a litany of things they did.

This is essentially about a player who can't handle tough coaching. Concussions are a part of the game. Just like the bumps and bruises the body sustains over the course of the season, the brain takes some lumps as well. Concussions are getting more press lately, and more players are urged to come forth with theirs. Football conditions the player to be both physically and mentally tough. By about week four of the season, the body is in so much pain that the mind takes over. When you get treatment, you have to sign in with the trainers and list the dings. Your coach takes note of this, and typically during stretching will approach you. He'll ask you if you are ok, and there is no other answer but "Yeah, Coach, I'm a little banged up, but I'm good". You feel loyalty to your team, and to your Coach. You don't want to let them down. So, you pop a few advil or high dosage scrip Naproxin and get on with it like everyone else. You are conditioned to hide injury and play through any pain you may experience. It's just the football way.

Concussions are no different. If you get your bell rung pretty good, the trainers will pull you from the game. Seeing stars is a pretty regular occurance, but you know you have one when you are disoriented once you wake up. Then, the nausea sets in. It's the worst nausea imaginable. You try your hardest to remember the word sequence the trainers give you and lie about the symptoms. It's just the way the game goes. Everyone does it. I can't think of many players who play beyond high school that have never had a concussion. The impacts are just too big to not get them.

Now that the long term effects of concussions are more publicized, the more reluctant players are to hide one. That said, there are soft players on every team that can't handle the body pain. I've seen first hand players fake concussions to get out of practice. These guys are simply taking advantage of medical pressures on the program. The fact of the matter is that as a football player, you owe it to your coaches and most importantly your teamates to play if the trainers clear you (and don't give them anything to think you are as hurt as you really are). It's a badge of honor to play through injuries that would sideline lesser men. Your Coaches will respect you, your teamates will respect you. Leaders need to elevate their toughness in order to create a stronger team. Sometimes this means hiding an injury and dealing with the pain. Your teamates know how bad you're hurt, and if they see you play through it they become more motivated. It's the nature of the game. Faking or exagerating an injury is the most dishonorable thing a player can do.

I don't know the situation first hand, so I can't make an accurate assesment as to who was wrong. What I can say is that a player must never sell his Coach out, save for a Varsity Blues situation. If you earn respect, your Coach will make you a better man. He will go to bat for you in times of adversity, he will guide you through critical developmental years, and will render you a tougher, better man in the long run. A player must have the same loyalty to his Coach. The kid's a coward, period.

Each University system has its own board of regents. So, tu's bor has no input into A&M bor, and vice versa.

With that said, anything that f's up tech is a +1 in my book.

I agree with your assessment of Craig James. Sorry, I misinterpreted you last post "as a Patriot fan". In regards to ESPN, I could care less. Still watch it, turn on something else when they annoy me. It's a matter of extremes. Some people here have a cow when a local writer prints an opinion on the Pats which shows them in bad light, while others get a hard on when a picture of Tom Brady appears in print.
For me, I don't eat during games (can't) and don't sleep afterwards (can't), but I do watch ESPN , tho not when James is speaking.

Craig James meddled big time with that coaching staff and his son is apparently a real jerk who feels entitled because of his old man. Baby James was put in a closet as a way to "time out" the whining child.
Tech fired Leach over money. He was owed huge $$$. He'll get most of it with a settlement of a coming lawsuit.

BTW all the ESPN college football commentators I've seen talk on this story have been very soft in their condemnation of Mike Leach. That should tell you something about their "feelings" for fellow analyst Craig James and what a obnoxious dink he (and his kid) is.

Craig James meddled big time with that coaching staff and his son is apparently a real jerk who feels entitled because of his old man. Baby James was put in a closet as a way to "time out" the whining child.
Tech fired Leach over money. He was owed huge $$$. He'll get most of it with a settlement of a coming lawsuit.

You guys simply don't get it. What the coach did, based on all, including his own lawyers statements verges very very closely to false imprisonment. You all get that right?? Added to that, the team doctor had just diagnosed him with a concussion. There is no disputing any of that. You simply can't do that, both the ex-coach and the school will be very very lucky if they aren't sued for huge $$'s. I also wouldn't be surprised if we find out in a few weeks there are criminal charges being filed. Maybe you could get away with stuff like this twenty years ago, but not today, not any more. Heck you aren't even allowed to swear at recruits in basic training anymore. The world has changed

And that in no way means I like the way it changed either, just the way it is.

This is essentially about a player who can't handle tough coaching. Concussions are a part of the game. Just like the bumps and bruises the body sustains over the course of the season, the brain takes some lumps as well. Concussions are getting more press lately, and more players are urged to come forth with theirs. Football conditions the player to be both physically and mentally tough. By about week four of the season, the body is in so much pain that the mind takes over. When you get treatment, you have to sign in with the trainers and list the dings. Your coach takes note of this, and typically during stretching will approach you. He'll ask you if you are ok, and there is no other answer but "Yeah, Coach, I'm a little banged up, but I'm good". You feel loyalty to your team, and to your Coach. You don't want to let them down. So, you pop a few advil or high dosage scrip Naproxin and get on with it like everyone else. You are conditioned to hide injury and play through any pain you may experience. It's just the football way.

Concussions are no different. If you get your bell rung pretty good, the trainers will pull you from the game. Seeing stars is a pretty regular occurance, but you know you have one when you are disoriented once you wake up. Then, the nausea sets in. It's the worst nausea imaginable. You try your hardest to remember the word sequence the trainers give you and lie about the symptoms. It's just the way the game goes. Everyone does it. I can't think of many players who play beyond high school that have never had a concussion. The impacts are just too big to not get them.

Now that the long term effects of concussions are more publicized, the more reluctant players are to hide one. That said, there are soft players on every team that can't handle the body pain. I've seen first hand players fake concussions to get out of practice. These guys are simply taking advantage of medical pressures on the program. The fact of the matter is that as a football player, you owe it to your coaches and most importantly your teamates to play if the trainers clear you (and don't give them anything to think you are as hurt as you really are). It's a badge of honor to play through injuries that would sideline lesser men. Your Coaches will respect you, your teamates will respect you. Leaders need to elevate their toughness in order to create a stronger team. Sometimes this means hiding an injury and dealing with the pain. Your teamates know how bad you're hurt, and if they see you play through it they become more motivated. It's the nature of the game. Faking or exagerating an injury is the most dishonorable thing a player can do.

I don't know the situation first hand, so I can't make an accurate assesment as to who was wrong. What I can say is that a player must never sell his Coach out, save for a Varsity Blues situation. If you earn respect, your Coach will make you a better man. He will go to bat for you in times of adversity, he will guide you through critical developmental years, and will render you a tougher, better man in the long run. A player must have the same loyalty to his Coach. The kid's a coward, period.

Those days are Ovah!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back