PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Texas Tech fires Mike Leach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player reactions:

Starting Center Shawn Byrnes on Leach: “He didnt understand how to deal with people. … Everyone is excited about this to be honest. … Adam James took a stand. How could punish a kid for having a concussion? What could that possibly accomplish?”

Texas Tech defensive lineman Chris Perry on Leach’s firing today and the coach’s treatment of Adam James: “I have no complaints about this decision. (Leach) put Adam in a shed like an animal. Like an animal in a cage. … That was bull. … You call the players. We practiced hard this week. We have our pep back now. We had less stress this week. You know why? Because he’s (Leach) gone.”

Texas Tech defensive back Taylor Charbonnet on Leach’s treatment of teammate Adam James: “I didn’t like it at all. I didn’t agree with it. I don’t know why Leach did that.”

Good for them. 800K for a bonus?!! Hopefully that money can now go for scholarships or to help someone that really needs a hand.

Can't be treating kids like it's 1923. It's flippin 2009 people!

What do you mean about "see no evil?"

And I guarantee you that Mike Leach was not one of the "good 'ole boys" in the Texas coaching ranks.

He put a freakin' player in a shed (garage/ whatever you want to call it) and you say he's not a good ole' boy. I've seen my share of good ole' boys in Texas. If he walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck.
Maybe I missed it where Leach presented himself as a Rhodes Scholar, but as far as I can see, this is Texas Lights.

He put a freakin' player in a shed (garage/ whatever you want to call it) and you say he's not a good ole' boy. I've seen my share of good ole' boys in Texas. If he walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck.
Maybe I missed it where Leach presented himself as a Rhodes Scholar, but as far as I can see, this is Texas Lights.

He graduated from law school. But that doesn't preclude the Varsity Blues angle. The sporting culture is obviously real big on amateur football, and that encourages and enables some coaches to seize authority they shouldn't have and presume knowledge they don't have.

Does anyone really believe he punished a kid for getting injured? There's more to the story that isn't being reported. I don't trust ESPN particularly when this involves a blood relation.

I consider myself a Texas Tech fan. I don't go out of my way to watch every single one of their games like I do the Patriots, but I follow them closest of any college team and do own some Tech gear.

I've been thinking about this one for a while ever since the allegations first came out. This had to be a brutally tough decision for Tech's administration.

It's my opinion that Tech got set back at least 5 years today, possibly more. It's not like there's another Mike Leach out there to come in and run his offense. They have such a Mike Leach specific roster that if the new coach comes in and tries to have any sort of balanced offense they're going to struggle for a while.

In the end, I guess give some kudos to Tech's administration for standing up to Leach if the allegations are true, but this is a day that Tech fans are going to point to for a long, long time as a turning point for their program.

Hopefully that money can now go for scholarships or to help someone that really needs a hand.

Sadly, out of all of the varied opinions expressed in this thread, this is the most wildly unrealistic.

That's the wrong tone, scout. Mess with Texas Tech and Bobby Knight will either choke you out or bring his hunting party by your house for a 21-gun salute through your front window.:)

That's the wrong tone, scout. Mess with Texas Tech and Bobby Knight will either choke you out or bring his hunting party by your house for a 21-gun salute through your front window.:)

That's a bit unfair MassPats.

If Bobby Knight is hunting near your property and accidentally shoots in the direction of your house, as long as you're "polite" about asking him to leave (and videotape the whole encounter) you'll live to tell about it. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2uUavIe0VI

As the video shows though, Knight, can be a reasonable guy--he just doesn't like rednecks. :cool:

Last edited:
Re: Texas Tech fires Mike Leach

So, can we fire everyone in districts that use "detention" as a school policy?

Any school employee who had anything to do with locking a child in a dark room for 2 or 3 hours where that child is not allowed to leave or sit, would be committing a felony of child abuse and would be arrested.

So, if you are trying to compare detention to this, then you must have gone to Catholic school.

Last edited:
As much as I dislike Craig James (and many of the SMU alumni) and believe that his son is probably an apple from that same tree, I got to give a thumbs up to the dismissal. I also have enough experience with Texas football coaches to know a "see no evil" when one presents itself.
The timing was perfect.

Why would anyone dislike Craig James? He seems like a really nice guy and he played hard for the Pats back when they were teh Patsies.

Why would anyone dislike Craig James? He seems like a really nice guy and he played hard for the Pats back when they were teh Patsies.

That's what I was wondering. Admittedly I don't know much about him apart from the stuff I read on his football cards from my collection.

Re: Texas Tech fires Mike Leach

Any school employee who had anything to do with locking a child in a dark room for 2 or 3 hours where that child is not allowed to leave or sit, would be committing a felony of child abuse and would be arrested.

So, if you are trying to compare detention to this, then you must have gone to Catholic school.

1.) I actually did attend Catholic school for a very brief period of time as a child.

2.) AGAIN.... the general comment about "detention" is not the specific discussion of "locking a child...."

First of all, he's overrated, both as a player and as a commentator. Eric ****erson was the man at SMU and in the NFL. Most students at SMU are snobs, he fit in really well. As a running back, he ran behind one of the greatest offensive linemen. I wouldn't call him a tough runner, and certainly not a great one.
He was at an event one time, during an intermission, him and his sidekick (ex-49er) got up to stretch and look around (hey look at me), it was obvious, as many posted about it the next day. It is also why, I somewhat sympathize with Mike Leach (tho, not enough to pardon his act).

How about for using his pull as an ex-player and ESPN commentator to crucify a coach that gave his mediocre son a college football scholarship? Duh.

How about for using his pull as an ex-player and ESPN commentator to crucify a coach that gave his mediocre son a college football scholarship? Duh.

Well, that's Leach's fault.

He shouldn't be doing that to anyone's son.

When you mess with someone's soon, you deserve what you get.

You can't expect James not to defend his son just because he's at ESPN, that's silly.

Well, that's Leach's fault.

He shouldn't be doing that to anyone's son.

When you mess with someone's soon, you deserve what you get.

You can't expect James not to defend his son just because he's at ESPN, that's silly.

The point is that Leach only got fired because James's dad does work for ESPN and intervened PUBLICLY on his kid's behalf.

Don't think for a minute that this doesn't has everything to do with MONEY. TV revenue/exposure=bigtime $ for the university. All Adam's daddy had to do was put in a phone call to the Chancellor, good ole boy politician Kent Hance, and everything is taken care of--ESPN/ABC coverage and money keeps coming as long as you don't embarass the Bristol boys.

Do you think guys like Woody Hays, Bo Schembeckler, or Bear Bryant ever did anything like this to motivate their players? I'm sure some of the stuff they did would warrant a lynching in this day and age.

I don't agree with what Leach did, I just think there's a lot more to this story than meets the eye.

You should be beaten for your insolence.

The OP implied he had a long-standing dislike of hiim before this incident with his son.

You should be beaten for your insolence.

The OP implied he had a long-standing dislike of hiim before this incident with his son.

What are you Kline, about 7? Now "who" was it that implied that "he" had a dislike of "him?" Or do you mean "he" disliked the OP's dad? :confused:

Originally Posted by scout
As much as I dislike Craig James (and many of the SMU alumni) and believe that his son is probably an apple from that same tree, I got to give a thumbs up to the dismissal. I also have enough experience with Texas football coaches to know a "see no evil" when one presents itself.
The timing was perfect

This OP implied he disliked James before this incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes