PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Texas Tech fires Mike Leach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Texas Tech fires Mike Leach

Feel free to actually read the posts.

I did. What i see is that you made a ridiculous strawman argument and I responded.

So, can we fire everyone in districts that use "detention" as a school policy?

Depends if the kid has a concussion.

I did. What i see is that you made a ridiculous strawman argument and I responded.

If that's what you see, it's time for you to take an English comprehension course.

So, can we fire everyone in districts that use "detention" as a school policy?

God I hope so. Let's institute this policy ASAP. I hated my detention teacher. I propose said policy be retroactive.

;)

Having seen Mike Leach on 60 Minutes last year, Leach reminds me, in terms of his focus on the actual game aspects of football, of BB himself. According to Cowherd, he didn't really care for any of the "schmoozing"/"kissing up" aspects of the job, and didn't really do much to make friends in the administration (other than winning football games, of course).

That's all well and good, but BB works for Kraft in the NFL.

Leach coaches at a university. Big difference. BB can say things like, "The players are listening to their fat little girlfriends too much," and that might not go over well with some in the Patriots' organization (Mrs. Kraft) but it would not offend a huge chunk of the Patriots organization. Not so at Texas Tech. two different stories.

If that's what you see, it's time for you to take an English comprehension course.

OK, so now you're onto personal insults because you can't argue the merits.

Par for the course.

Having seen Mike Leach on 60 Minutes last year, Leach reminds me, in terms of his focus on the actual game aspects of football, of BB himself. According to Cowherd, he didn't really care for any of the "schmoozing"/"kissing up" aspects of the job, and didn't really do much to make friends in the administration (other than winning football games, of course).

Sorry, I've seen a few Leach pressers.

His schtick is to be a quote-a-minute machine - - the comparison would be more apt to a Parcells wannabe.

Last edited:
Exaggerations aside, I still have a few huge questions.

Was James being punished? If yes, then what for? Did he have a concussion? If yes, then why was Leach leaving the kid secluded anywhere for 3 hours.

Why did Texas Tech fire Leach so quick? A man who is the programs greatest coach in school history. A coach who was bringing in the #24 ranked recruiting class in 2010. Why would Tech give that guy the axe? Not to mention the amount of money they're leaving on the table by firing him.

Very bizarre.

They had to conduct an investigation.

Then Leach sued the school.

If you sue your employer, and then they find cause, well, you might get fired.

Why did Texas Tech fire Leach so quick?

I read online that Leach's contract called for him to receive an $800K bonus if either he was still their coach on 12/31/09 or if he coached a Bowl game (of the two of these, I think the latter makes more sense.) That is probably why he was fired today - though it can be argued that they may lose a lot more than the $800K they saved with this move if there's a lawsuit, which there probably will be.

I read online that Leach's contract called for him to receive an $800K bonus if either he was still their coach on 12/31/09 or if he coached a Bowl game (of the two of these, I think the latter makes more sense.) That is probably why he was fired today - though it can be argued that they may lose a lot more than the $800K they saved with this move if there's a lawsuit, which there probably will be.

You mean from Leach? The James' family probably won't sue as the issue has been resolved.

OK, so now you're onto personal insults because you can't argue the merits.

Par for the course.

What merits? The post I responded to was dealing with detention:

it doesn't matter whether it was the Superdome if he was locked into it and not allowed freedom to leave

Your comments, besides being one-sided and ignorant, were simply not relevant to the specific point involved.

Last edited:

I watched that 3 hours ago.

You have to love the lawyer pointing to an 8 nfoot ceiling and calling it a 20 foot ceiling, or pointing to the exhaust and calling it a fan.

Not to mention that the press room he went into had a closet to the left when you walked in, and in that interview the lawyer claimed that because the team doctor said the player should stand on the sidelines with sunglasses it was ok to put him in a dark room for 2 or 3 hours and not allow him to sit.

That and the coaches emails back up the fact that Leach was totally in the wrong.

What merits? The post I responded to was dealing with detention:

Your comments, besides being one-sided and ignorant, were simply not relevant to the specific point involved.

A strawman argument. The detention was of a player with a concussion. If that's not spelled out in each and every post by other posters, it doesn't mean that everyone just forgets about the reality of this case.

He was in a locked room with a concussion.

Regardless, people are making this more complicated than it is. The player had a concussion, he was locked in a dark room for 2 hours (according to Leach's lawyer) or 3 hours (according to James) and wasn't allowed to sit (all agreed that he wasn't allowed to sit. That's punishment, isn't it?

Upstater is spot on.

This is getting to be a clear case of blaming the victim.

We used to see it all the time (and still do) in rape cases. The ol' "Well, she shouldn't have been out at midnight wearing a mini skirt" defense.

Facts are facts, and no matter how you slice it, you don't lock a player with a concussion in a dark room for 2 hours. Anyone who defends this practice is certfiably insane. This is college football, not Gitmo folks.

A strawman argument. The detention was of a player with a concussion. If that's not spelled out in each and every post by other posters, it doesn't mean that everyone just forgets about the reality of this case.

He was in a locked room with a concussion.

It was not a strawman argument. It was a response specifically to the detention aspect of the discussion, and your response was irrelevant to that because your focus was on other aspects. When you realize that, I'll be here for your mea culpa.

What do the Patriots do with players who can't practice?

When players can't practice due to injury, aren't they often required to attend the practice, nonetheless, and stay in a particular area? I know that I had such requirements beginning in Little League sports, all the way through college, and beyond.

Last edited:
You mean from Leach? The James' family probably won't sue as the issue has been resolved.

No, I mean Leach is probably going to sue Texas Tech for wrongful termination or some other thing, and the school will probably spend more than $800K on legal fees and/or a settlement.

Feel free to actually read the posts.

You might want to try that yourself first.

Edit: Oh, now I get what can laughably be called your "reasoning". Had you said you were disputing Shmessy's version of the facts -- specifically on the matter of "locking" -- you might have a leg to stand on. However, you didn't, and hence you don't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back