OT: Tannenbaum: Gholston will be back

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 - 10-6
2006 - 12-4
2007 - 16-0
2008 - 11-5
2009 - 10-6

That regular season record since 2005 stands at 59-21. Zero mystique whatsoever...:rolleyes:

There's no need to cover old ground as we've gone through the Patriots issues in other threads time and time again. I don't think the demise is as bad as some profess.

You completely missed the point, but that's okay.

if they keep him i would assume they would deal with his contract the same way alex smith did when singletary became the HC for the 49ers

No reason to. Smith was already entering year 5 of his 6 year deal and had little or no more guaranteed money due him, just salary which would disappear if he were cut, and he wanted to have another shot at proving in SF he is a starting QB. So he essentially restructured for peanuts in salary on the backend of his deal. I get the sense Gholston is somewhat like JaMarcus in that he doesn't get it but you can't goad or embarass him into getting it either. And both are still owed substantial portions of their guaranteed money, which someone has to pay them even if in salary, so the only way for their teams to get off the hook would be a trade...if anyone wanted to assume the balance of what they're guaranteed...which isn't likely.

If you can't get rid of these guy on the cap, no reason to get rid of them at all unless they cause locker room problems. At worst they become very expensive backups or third stringers you had to pay anyway...at best they show some small spark at a time when someone else has a need and you get to unload their contract even conditionally.

Sorry buddy, but the Pats don't have that "mystique" anymore. That haven't been able to take "Joe Schmoe" off the street and turn him into a player since 2005. If he can't make it in Ryan's system, he won't make it in any system. The guy is just a monumental bust that most draft analysts predicted would happen (McShay being one of them). But I'll admit it, I was extremely high on Gholston and thought the Pats blew it by not taking him.

First of all, what is this mystique crap? The Pats haven't turned any Vrabels or Bobby Hamiltons in receont years, but they did do a good job with Wes Welker (well, he actually may be the best case of the Pats taking a Joe Smoe and turning him into a superstar), TBC (10 sacks this year), Leigh Bodden, Brandon McGowen (at least for most of the season), Mike Wright, Sebastian Vollmer (everyone had the guy pegged as a sixth round pick), Julian Edelman, and several others. Let's not make it sound like the Pats can't make unremarkable players play above at least their perceived talent level.

Second of all, although I have never been high on Gholston, he does have a lot of raw talent to work with. A change of scenery could do wonders for the guy. Personally, I think the guy is a bust and will always be a bust, but I wouldn't be shocked if after he is cut that he hooks up with another team and becomes a productive player.

I know guys like you like to make Belichick and his staff look like the Keystone Cops, but the fact of the matter is that they still coach up a lot of players. Their problem is more the devoid of savvy veterans who can set the tone for the team like a Bruschi or Harrison, not guy who failed elsewhere and play above their abilities with the Pats.

You completely missed the point, but that's okay.
No I haven't missed any point. Whilst Belichick is coaching and whilst Brady is here, no matter what anyone says there is still the mystique that this team can turn OK players into good players.

The Patriots are smack bang in the middle of a team transition. Perhaps you have missed the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft