PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

the Jets have THREE runningbacks and Greene is the number one. why does everyone other than Jets fans think LT replaced Jones? you guys are idiots. It is going to be a THREE runningback system with Greene being the number ONE back, LT and Washington with every back splitting time to stay fresh

Washington hasn't signed his tender and has let it be known that he does NOT want to go back to the Jets.

no you are wrong like usual. what happened to Jones in 07?

He got over 1,100 yards. And what happened to Jones in 2005 when he was with the Bears and rushed for more than he did in 2008 behind the Jets o-line?

Jets fans must be feeling a little bit queasy this morning... every year they and the Redskins contend for the "Best NFL Upgrades on Paper" Award.

Every year they both fall FAR short of the Super Bowl.

Picking up LT and Holmes must have them feeling like this is Groundhog's Day with the same outcome looming once again. I'm more than happy to give them the award for most improved team on paper - knowing that no games are played on paper.

But overall I don't think this is a bad trade... they've rented a talented player, and a turd of a person, for 12 regular season games in return for a 5th round pick. Given his 4 game suspension, off-field issues and expiring contract I'd say the Steelers did ok.

Although I don't see Holmes assaulting Jet players the way he did the mother of his children, his "wake and bake" work ethic could have a negative impact in the locker room - but seeing as he's entering a contract year he'll probably be well behaved.

Highlighted all of the players that will require some contract action after this season (assuming a CBA and a return to 4 years for FA).

and your point? The Jets have the money to sign these guys. Braylon or Holmes or possibly both of them will be resigned. Mangold, Revis, and Harris will be locked up before this season is over. If Cromartie plays like he should he will also get resigned and Poole isn't going to ask for much anyway. Tannenbaum without a doubt is going to lock up these core players

Washington hasn't signed his tender and has let it be known that he does NOT want to go back to the Jets.

who the hell cares what he wants? what is he going to do retire? i pray he gets traded for a second then we could just draft a better RB in the 2nd round. theres a lot of talent in this draft at the RB position.

Sure. Look, I'm not saying that their rushing attack is going to be a reprise of the 2002 Chiefs.

So, are you telling me "two pushes and a slight advantage" is correct. You agree with that? I don't see it. Not remotely.

EDIT to note that the offeason isn't exactly over. Maybe the Pats take a top RB with one of their first few picks who turns into the second coming of Curtis Martin, and an OLineman who is the second coming of Logan Mankins. Plenty of time left to see what happens. But right now, on April 12, I don't see two pushes and a slight advantage being a correct comparison.

Again, I never commented on the comparisons. I said that I wasn't commenting on the Pats RB situation when I said the Jets' running game is a question mark.

Personally I find these comparisons a little ridiculous and misleading. You look at the Colts and they lose most position battles to the Jets too except for the most important one (QB) and yet the Colts crushed the Jets in second half of the AFC Championship game. When the Pats won the Super Bowl in 2001, I don't know if there was a position group that the Pats were clearly better than the Rams either and that didn't stop the Pats from winning the Super Bowl.

He got over 1,100 yards. And what happened to Jones in 2005 when he was with the Bears and rushed for more than he did in 2008 behind the Jets o-line?

haha he had 310 carries and only 1119 yards. that is an embarrassing 3.6 yards a carry average.. and he had 1 rushing touchdown. exactly what a joke.

haha he had 310 carries and only 1119 yards. that is an embarrassing 3.6 yards a carry average.. and he had 1 rushing touchdown. exactly what a joke.

Ummm... Are you going to completely ignore his years in Chicago?

The Jets had a horrible o-line in 2007 which was almost completely turned over except for Mangold (who had a good year in 2007) and Ferguson (who really didn't). I think the fact that he got 1,119 yards behind that line which was one of the worst in the league is a testiment to how good he was.

Of course you want to revise history.

and your point? The Jets have the money to sign these guys. Braylon or Holmes or possibly both of them will be resigned. Mangold, Revis, and Harris will be locked up before this season is over. If Cromartie plays like he should he will also get resigned and Poole isn't going to ask for much anyway. Tannenbaum without a doubt is going to lock up these core players

Revis will cost $5M in 2011 and $15M in 2012 guaranteed (it is the buyback in his contract). Now give Edwards, Holmes, Mangold, Harris, Cromartie, Ellis and Washington market deals. Now add that to the $100M the Jets already have committed to 2011. Are you assuming that there won't be a cap in 2011 or that the cap will increase at the same rate that caused the owners to opt out of the last CBA?

Do you have a link that states Leon wants out of NY?

I heard he wants to receive a better contract but have heard nothing about wanting to leave the Jets

really? everytime i read this message board you guys somehow make dumber and dumber posts

Brady or Sanchez.. how many more years does each player have?? Number of years left doesn't matter. Brady will be the better QB during that time.

Moss and crippled welker or Braylon Holmes and Cotch? Jets WR core has a lot more GOOD years left... you can't really get a much better trio than that
You forgot Edelman for the Pats.. And Welker is injured, not crippled. Only a Jets Homer would ignore Edelman.

Crumpler (LOL) or Keller- again is this really a question? Keller is one you lucked into.. Good player and yes, he's better then Crumpler.

Fred Taylor and Morris or Greene, Leon, and LT you guys think you can compare with the Jets RB? hahahah that is funny. Funny how you forgot Maroney and Kevin Faulk.. You also forgot that Washington hasn't signed his tended and has said he wants out.

NE O-line or Jets no comment again. Jets are going to be one of the best Olines for years to come. With an over-weigh and aging Woody and an aging Faneca? As others mentioned Mangold has a contract that you have to contend with at the end of the year.

Jets D
Secondary- Revis, Cromartie, Poole, Leonard, and Lowery ALL YOUNG and dirty. Cromartie hasn't been the player he was as a rookie. The hip injury he suffered has hampered him. And the paternity woes of his have just started.. Brodney Poole is concussion away from being a vegetable. He missed the last 4 games of the season last year because of it.

Linebackers- Pace, Harris, Scott, Thomas, soon to be Taylor, and Gholston who is looking like a bust but still young.. All of them besides Taylor have many great years left in them. It's funny how Jets fans claim that the Pats defense is getting old when their players hit 30, yet for the Jets, a 30 year old is considered young. Calvin Pace turns 30 this year. Bryan Thomas will be 31. Bart Scott also turns 30 this year.
DLine- SOLID. the Jets have a very solid D-line as you could tell when our best D player behind Revis went down, Jenkins, the Jets didn't miss a beat and still were #1 D.. Devito and Pouha are young and solid. Ellis is very underrated and has another 2 good years.
We have NO needs.. we are going to draft a Pass rusher or big DT and be set up for the future.

and keep dreaming about your AWFUL RB's and keep drafting awful

The Jets have PLENTY of needs. It's called DEPTH. Something that they were shown to be lacking in the play-offs.

The Pats RBs aren't awful. What is scary is that for as "bad" as they were, they were ranked 12th in the league last year. Not bad for our "awful" Running backs and the fact that we ran the ball 141 times less than the Jets.

Revis will cost $5M in 2011 and $15M in 2012 guaranteed (it is the buyback in his contract). Now give Edwards, Holmes, Mangold, Harris, Cromartie, Ellis and Washington market deals. Now add that to the $100M the Jets already have committed to 2011. Are you assuming that there won't be a cap in 2011 or that the cap will increase at the same rate that caused the owners to opt out of the last CBA?

This is true. If all the players perform well, there's no way the Jets can keep all of them.

Again, I never commented on the comparisons. I said that I wasn't commenting on the Pats RB situation when I said the Jets' running game is a question mark.

Personally I find these comparisons a little ridiculous and misleading. You look at the Colts and they lose most position battles to the Jets too except for the most important one (QB) and yet the Colts crushed the Jets in second half of the AFC Championship game. When the Pats won the Super Bowl in 2001, I don't know if there was a position group that the Pats were clearly better than the Rams either and that didn't stop the Pats from winning the Super Bowl.

True, though there is at least the benefit of comparing the talent on a stand-alone basis. What benefit you ask? It's April -- what the hell else are we gonna talk about? :D

has anyone posted this yet?

Hard Knocks should be epic this year.

Attachments

• SANTONIO-HOLMES-TWITTER-TWEET-FAN-KILL-YOURSELF.jpg
    SANTONIO-HOLMES-TWITTER-TWEET-FAN-KILL-YOURSELF.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 168

You're kidding? The Jets averaged 4.5 yards per rush. Pats were at 4.1. Pats have three RBs over 32, and the chances of one (or more, god help us if it's Kevin Faulk) breaking down are quite high. And our TE situation is among the league's most mediocre. Don't give me two pushes and a "slight advantage", it's a joke.

The more rabid Patriots homers are in a sad state right now. They used to be able to ignore the doubters, because the team was so very good. Anything negative could be answered with some variant of "scoreboard!". That's no longer the case. They ignored all signs of problems, so this is a shocking new development for them. They defended every move by BB, so every problem is a player problem (overlooking, of course, that BB was the one acquiring the players). They're still trying to deal with it by just calling out anyone who questions the team, rather than admitting to the problems. Hell, some of them still defend the Burgess trade.

Today, it's not just the lunatic fringe that is questioning the team and pointing out problems. It's rational people, former 'homers', and the team front office itself coming public with admissions of problems. It's team members, and the more accepting reporters (SMY, MR, etc...). Those rabid homers are now sticking their fingers in their ears and singing "La La La! I'm not listening". Everything is overvalued if it's from NE, and completely diminished if it's from anywhere else:

Cromartie's a stiff who can't play, but Lewis is going to make the transition to 3-4 DE and really anchor the line.

Keller is overrated and not that good, but 54 year old and 765 pound Crumpler just might be the best tight end in the history of the universe.

Greene is overrated and LdT is done, but Fred Taylor will be back strong, Morris will be a monster, and BJGE is an All Pro just waiting for his opportunity.

Then, on the flip side, you've got those who've panicked in the opposite direction and are doing things like already predicting the Patriots to go .500 or less for the season.

Welcome to this year's offseason here at Patsfans.com.....

Last edited:

who the hell cares what he wants? what is he going to do retire? i pray he gets traded for a second then we could just draft a better RB in the 2nd round. theres a lot of talent in this draft at the RB position.

Typical Homer.... No one is going to trade a 2nd round pick for a guy coming off a severely broken leg the way that Washington is..

And, he doesn't have to retire.. he can hold out until week 10 of the season, come back and collect his paycheck and then blow off the Jets after the season.

Also, there aren't backs who have the skill set and experience that Washington has in this draft.

The more rabid Patriots homers are in a sad state right now. They used to be able to ignore the doubters, because the team was so very good. Anything negative could be answered with some variant of "scoreboard!". That's no longer the case. They ignored all signs of problems, so this is a shocking new development for them. They defended every move by BB, so every problem is a player problem (overlooking, of course, that BB was the one acquiring the players). They're still trying to deal with it by just calling out anyone who questions the team, rather than admitting to the problems. Hell, some of them still defend the Burgess trade.

Today, it's not just the lunatic fringe that is questioning the team and pointing out problems. It's rational people, former 'homers', and the team front office itself coming public with admissions of problems. It's team members, and the more accepting reporters (SMY, MR, etc...). Those rabid homers are now sticking their fingers in their ears and singing "La La La! I'm not listening". Everything is overvalued if it's from NE, and completely diminished if it's from anywhere else:

Cromartie's a stiff who can't play, but Lewis is going to make the transition to 3-4 DE and really anchor the line.

Keller is overrated and not that good, but 54 year old and 765 pound Crumpler just might be the best tight end in the history of the universe.

Greene is overrated and LdT is done, but Fred Taylor will be back strong, Morris will be a monster, and BJGE is an All Pro just waiting for his opportunity.

Then, on the flip side, you've got those who've panicked in the opposite direction and are doing things like already predicting the Patriots to go .500 or less for the season.

Had to laugh at that one :)

Our magic wand is Brady. If he comes back to form, we'll be alright.

really? everytime i read this message board you guys somehow make dumber and dumber posts

Brady or Sanchez.. how many more years does each player have??

Moss and crippled welker or Braylon Holmes and Cotch? Jets WR core has a lot more GOOD years left... you can't really get a much better trio than that

Crumpler (LOL) or Keller- again is this really a question?

Fred Taylor and Morris or Greene, Leon, and LT you guys think you can compare with the Jets RB? hahahah that is funny.

NE O-line or Jets no comment again. Jets are going to be one of the best Olines for years to come.

Jets D
Secondary- Revis, Cromartie, Poole, Leonard, and Lowery ALL YOUNG and dirty.
Linebackers- Pace, Harris, Scott, Thomas, soon to be Taylor, and Gholston who is looking like a bust but still young.. All of them besides Taylor have many great years left in them.
DLine- SOLID. the Jets have a very solid D-line as you could tell when our best D player behind Revis went down, Jenkins, the Jets didn't miss a beat and still were #1 D.. Devito and Pouha are young and solid. Ellis is very underrated and has another 2 good years.
We have NO needs.. we are going to draft a Pass rusher or big DT and be set up for the future.

and keep dreaming about your AWFUL RB's and keep drafting awful

LOL The JETS trolls are what Woody consistently panders to when signing HC's or players...that's when they crawl out of the woodwork here...

:trolls:

Our magic wand is Brady. If he comes back to form, we'll be alright.

Brady being Brady will cure a lot of ills, no question in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes