PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

Based on talent on the roster, every year for the last five years it should have been the Cowboys and the Chargers in the Super Bowl.

I think the Pats need a healthy Brady and Moss more than anything else this year. The draft and second free agency period will be key too though.

The Cowboys and Chargers never had the #1 ranked defense,thats where the scary thing is.. with the exception of a player or two,the Jets virtually have every defensive player from the 2009 team returning and now they have a bonafide passing game on the other side.

Brady and Moss don't play defense,Brady and Moss didn't give up gifts in the 4th quarter way too often last season

With every move the Jets make,the Pats are having to play catch up - we need some work

Last edited:

talk about collecting a gaggle of knuckleheads. what are the jets doing ? like "lap-band larry's" gonna be able to control that crew. from the players to the fans, i fear for any women in section c at the new hell hole.

Personally, I have to wonder why the Steelers were willing to trade him for so little. . . .

The reason is obvious. No one was willing to give up more than a 5th rounder. I think front offices are staying away because of bad PR. It's convenient that some guy stepped up and said he threw the glass. I wonder if that guy's bank account looks a little fatter this month. It wouldn't be the first time that sort of thing has happened.

No, what is wrong with you people! Reflex's post gave credit to the Jets. Then he predicted they would not have a good season, but he gave them credit for the offseason. What is with people? Jeez.
I agree, the anti-Pats "Pats fans" here don't even realize they are more rigid and unthinking than the "homers" they are so quick to criticize. They won't even consider that an opinion other than theirs could be legitimate (whether or not it is ultimately proved correct by the future).

Just a healthy Brady and Moss is not going to do much other than what happened last year. Not being able to beat the good teams and end up by losing early the the playoffs. The offense needs to add a quality WR that can immediately contribute and get some solid contributions from the running game. Also, the offensive needs another TE.

Defensively we need to add a OLB/DE that can get after the QB and possibility add another CB. The team still has many holes to fill. Just a healthy Brady and Moss is not going to get it done, they have other issues that need to be resolved.

Agree with everything Dynasty just said. We need to add a reliable WR opposite Moss. Would love to add Dennis Pitta to this offense at TE as i think he is the most NFL ready right now to contribute.

Huge draft coming up for us

With Santonios blatant disrespect of women,Myra probably never would have allowed him coming here anyways...

What a steal by the Jets (assuming he plays this season). Jets fans should be excited.

Last edited:

with the exception of a player or two,the Jets virtually have every defensive player from the 2009 team returning and now they have a bonafide passing game on the other side.
A *lot* hinges on Sanchez... he certainly has a chance to become a good or even great QB but many of the analyses of the Jets this offseason take that for granted.

Ultimately this move may make Sanchez's job easier but if he doesn't take advantage of it the Jets will still be scrambling to make the postseason.

The Cowboys and Chargers never had the #1 ranked defense,thats where the scary thing is.. with the exception of a player or two,the Jets virtually have every defensive player from the 2009 team returning and now they have a bonafide passing game on the other side.

Brady and Moss don't play defense,Brady and Moss didn't give up gifts in the 4th quarter too often last season

Even with the addition of Holmes, you don't know if they will have a bonafide passing game. He will make it better, but will it be any more than average? Last year it was one of the worst in the league (31st). Sanchez has yet to show that if he throws for more than 20 times a game he will stop making the stupid mistakes he made last year. Even if Holmes vastly improves the passing game, it might not make it more than middle of the pack. Could be more than enough if the defense is dominant. But if the Jets are throwing more and they have more turnovers because of it; the defense might not be able to make up for that.

As for defense in general, the defense is meaning less and less. The Colts don't have a great defense (ranked 18th) and they beat the the Jets in the AFC Championship game. The Saints defense was even worse than the Colts' (ranked 21st) and they won the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

I select none of the above. Don't like Cromartie. You don't judge a CB based on INTs, but it is a big indicator. So is pass defenses. Other than 2007, Cromartie did poorly in both categories.

Cromartie is an upgrade over Sheppard who I thought sucked too. But an upgrade over Sheppard doesn't mean he is all that good.

Holmes was a great pick up especially with what they gave up. I just don't like all their other moves nearly as much as a lot of people. They are more names over production.

The only negative I have said about Holmes' deal is the looming suspension and the unknown of Sanchez and whether he will progress or regress his second year. Otherwise, there is little downside to giving up a fifth for a 1200 yard WR.

I just think people aren't always fully objective b/c of their love for the Pats. There's nothing wrong with it b/c that's what fans do, but it does slant their views.

Cromartie is a talented corner whose style of play is a perfect fit for the Jets defense. He is at his best in press man coverage with a team that gets after the QB a lot. It's been said he was unhappy with Rivera playing a lot of zone during the last two years. Having Cromartie as your #2 CB and only giving up a 3rd rounder for him is a very good deal IMO.

Holmes is a steal regardless of the suspension. The only good thing about it is that Marshall won't be going to NY, which I didn't expect anyway.

Last edited:

Jets appear to be making all of the right moves. They gave third round for Cromatie (2011) and fifth round pick for Holmes (2010), it is difficult to be critical of their moves especially when the Patriots gave 3rd and 5th for Burgess for one season.

Let's face it... The Jets got Santonio Holmes for the playoffs ....

Great trade for the Jets.

Holmes has done far more in the playoffs, than Randy Moss.

Now both of their top receivers ( Edward & Holmes ) will be playing for
a contract.... Both are UFA after next season.

No, just no. When a single team goes in to a game saying "we have to stop Santonio Holmes" let me know. Moss could catch one pass (a la Jacksonville playoff game) and still have a huge impact on a game.

I'm surprised that people are surprised he was traded so cheaply. Holmes is a PR nightmare. Most owners are scared of his history. It's the one thing that would make any owner worry about his business.

damn as a pats fan. i would have given up a 4th for him, suspension or not. Holmes would be great in our offense. Jets will be tough this year
I think the Steelers have gone up against the Pats often enough they wouldn't even consider trading him here. Whereas they may look at the Jets and see a flash in the pan. Don't forget, the Steelers saw Rexie twice a year for 10 years and may not be particularly scared by him.

I think the focus on how good the Jets will be in 2010 is on the running game,elsewhere they appear stacked.

We all know the Jets should once again have an outstanding defense and they have a very good OL but what we have yet to find out is if.....

Leon Washington will come back strong and contribute?
Is Shonn Greene ready to take on a bigger role?
Is LdT going to be able to adapt to a new team and have his share of positive carries?

Thats where the Jets might have a weakness,if the running game is lackluster then more pressure relies on Sanchez and he could be forced to save the offense which could be tough for him to do.

The Jets running game will make or break thier team,if the RBs contribute, the Jets are a serious SB contender.

I just think people aren't always fully objective b/c of their love for the Pats. There's nothing wrong with it b/c that's what fans do, but it does slant their views.

Cromartie is a talented corner whose style of play is a perfect fit for the Jets defense. He is at his best in press man coverage with a team that gets after the QB a lot. It's been said he was unhappy with Rivera playing a lot of zone during the last two years. Having Cromartie as your #2 CB and only giving up a 3rd rounder for him is a very good deal IMO.

Holmes is a steal regardless of the suspension. The only good thing about it is that Marshall won't be going to NY, which I didn't expect anyway.

Still think Cromartie is way overrated. Always have. Not really impressed.

Holmes was a good deal. Never said otherwise.

Still think Cromartie is way overrated. Always have. Not really impressed.

Holmes was a good deal. Never said otherwise.

Time will tell.

Does this affect the Jets' ability to sign JT under the final 8 rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes