PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Schefter - Denver Trades for Vernon Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
. I dont want to go into Denver for the playoffs

I don't know they've lost to Baltimore and Indy in the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years. If NE would have lost at home 2 out of the last 3 years we'd hear about it. Like we still hear about how NE lost at home 3 out of 4 years from '09-'12

Denver does not have an easy schedule. Cinci is going to have to work for 16-0 as well. And we do too.

last year TJ Ward aimed straight at his surgically repaired knee... on the replay, hes like 10-15 yards back and his eyes are locked on Gronk's knee the entire run up to him.. luckily Gronk has been changing the way he runs in the open field and is protecting himself, because Ward nearly ended his season again the same way he did the year before

The Seahawks are the only team that I've seen actually play Gronk straight up and make tackles the way you're suppose to make tackles.. they didn't resort to any cheap shot ******** by going low

That was the last time they did that against the Broncos too. I remember that play distinctly. As far as the Seahawks, the 4th quarter sideline catch Gronk made on Wright. Wrightt wrapped him up and Chancellor came in and hit him mid chest to knock him down. Could have easily gone low but didn't.

2 pass catching TEs that suck at blocking, making their versatility limited and predictable.

Jamie Collins will smother Vernon Davis, I'm not worried about this at all. Davis gets traded and people are suddenly acting like the guy is a world beater TE.. hes been pretty average for awhile now

And it's not like NE sucks against TEs this year. They've been pretty good against them. I read TEs are only averaging 3 catches for about 30 yards a game this year against them and have 0 TDs.

Denver right now's a team that can keep us from getting to the superbowl. You can't deny that. Tommy's gonna have to do what he always does, put his team on his back.

San Diego as well. At San Diego.

Yep, those divisional games should never be overlooked like KC and SD. I just included those with winning records who are in playoff contention. Good catch.

These are honest questions for people with your viewpoint.

Does Ware disappear/slow down every season after mid November?
How about Von Miller?
What about Talib staying healthy?
Did the Broncos NOT whine about having to possibly play in NE last year?

Finally, what major addition to the Denver defense do they have that they didn't last season?
The Patriots lost to them right?

How quick people forget history. It's actually a bit troubling.

Miller and Ware are still dangerous, not sure how them slowing them is a common occurrence. People say the same thing about Chandler Jones, doesn't mean he can't pressure the QB.

As far as Talib goes, his past injury history has little barring on this season. And also with Denver complaining, if they beat the Pats, they don't have to worry about coming to Foxboro, so there's that, for whatever that's worth.

In terms of additions, it's not what the Broncos added, it's what the Pats lost and that's a lockdown secondary.

Last season means very little this season.

I don't know they've lost to Baltimore and Indy in the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years. If NE would have lost at home 2 out of the last 3 years we'd hear about it. Like we still hear about how NE lost at home 3 out of 4 years from '09-'12
Well that is true. They are beatable there, no question. What helps is the weather. Jan Denver weather helps us tremendous. I think most of that is PM just wearing down at the end of a long year - plus the weather. Plus the best teams are in the tourney.

This year is interesting, no question.

I could argue the reverse of this is true.

I don't expect Vernon Davis to be the best TE in the game suddenly, but he's better than what they had, Denver got him for virtually nothing, so he makes them a better team.

I don't understand why people would **** on this trade.

Don't think anyone is ****ting on the trade, but people are getting a bit ridiculous talking up Vernon Davis as if he's Shannon Sharpe in his prime or something. The guy has been the definition of average for many years now.. If he was such a world beater, he would have made more plays on the 49ers.. but opposing teams never really had much of a problem covering him

I mean he is an upgrade at TE for them, but that isn't saying much considering the total garbage they have remaining after Julius Thomas moved on. Davis is no Julius Thomas and the Patriots have quite a few guys on defense that can deal with him when it comes to matchups, so I'm not worried about this tradw

Nice move for the Broncos, their TEs have been absolutely awful and the cost was minimal.

I'm skeptical that he's any good, since he hasn't been relevant in a year and a half, but as recently as 2013 he was one of the best in the league. I really think that hit he took from Kam Chancellor was career-altering, though. I've seen a lot of 49ers games over the past couple years, and he still gets targeted a lot. He just doesn't really go up for contested balls anymore, and his hands aren't great. Kinda reminds me of late-career Welker in that sense.

There's also a lot of rumors out there re: how he's kinda mentally checked out on the game, and doesn't seem to be giving it his all. Pretty much just collecting paychecks at this point. If this trade flips that switch and he gets back to caring about football, we might see someone a lot more like 2013 than 2014 Davis. If so, this could be a great pickup.

If they can get even a couple good months out of him, it's still worth it. In his diminished state he's still an upgrade over Owen Daniels and Virgil Green. Even if his hands are questionable and he's not much of a blocker (he never was), he's still a really good athlete who can get open against most LBs.

it's not what the Broncos added, it's what the Pats lost and that's a lockdown secondary.

Ironically the Pats have a better D this year and of course better team too. Who knew.

Last edited:
Miller and Ware are still dangerous, not sure how them slowing them is a common occurrence. People say the same thing about Chandler Jones, doesn't mean he can't pressure the QB.

As far as Talib goes, his past injury history has little barring on this season. And also with Denver complaining, if they beat the Pats, they don't have to worry about coming to Foxboro, so there's that, for whatever that's worth.

In terms of additions, it's not what the Broncos added, it's what the Pats lost and that's a lockdown secondary.

Our front 7 has been playing well. They will have to be very good against the donkeys. People have been praising logan ryan but he still scares me in a big spot.

Denver right now's a team that can keep us from getting to the superbowl. You can't deny that. Tommy's gonna have to do what he always does, put his team on his back.

Well he seems to always come though. But its not like he dosent have a very deep and proven set of weapons. Plus a D that is clearly tracking better than last year.

You act as if TB is surrounded by ****.

Well he seems to always come though. But its not like he dosent have a very deep and proven set of weapons. Plus a D that is clearly tracking better than last year.

You act as if TB is surrounded by ****.

I didn't say that. Our defense's better upfront. No doubt

Nice move for the Broncos, their TEs have been absolutely awful and the cost was minimal.

I'm skeptical that he's any good, since he hasn't been relevant in a year and a half, but as recently as 2013 he was one of the best in the league. I really think that hit he took from Kam Chancellor was career-altering, though. I've seen a lot of 49ers games over the past couple years, and he still gets targeted a lot. He just doesn't really go up for contested balls anymore, and his hands aren't great. Kinda reminds me of late-career Welker in that sense.

There's also a lot of rumors out there re: how he's kinda mentally checked out on the game, and doesn't seem to be giving it his all. Pretty much just collecting paychecks at this point. If this trade flips that switch and he gets back to caring about football, we might see someone a lot more like 2013 than 2014 Davis. If so, this could be a great pickup.

If they can get even a couple good months out of him, it's still worth it. In his diminished state he's still an upgrade over Owen Daniels and Virgil Green. Even if his hands are questionable and he's not much of a blocker (he never was), he's still a really good athlete who can get open against most LBs.

I've heard from 49ers fans that he has alligator arms.. I wonder how he'll feel the first time Manning lobs a duck across the middle and gets him annihilated

Let's see. Past historical performance season after season as an older player (Ware) has no bearing? Okay.
The complaining about venue shows mental weakness.
I am referring to the Broncos defense, not the Pats defense. Last year Manning was more Manning than he is this year as well.

Last season has every bit as much to do with this season. To say it doesn't is ridiculous.

Vernon Davis has not scored a TD since Week 1 2014, a stretch of 19 games.

Last 19 games
Davis 40-395 0 TD
Larry Donnell 67-610-4 TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back