PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Schefter - Denver Trades for Vernon Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why people are panning this move. Low risk, high reward type of move and he has the potential to add a completely new dynamic to that offense. The only reason why they would fail as a team now is the same reason why they would fail as a team before - quarterback.

They got the guy for a bag of footballs so risk/reward is in their favor. Davis has been a complete nonentity for the past 1.5 seasons. It's fair to wonder if his lack of productivity is due to the SF QB situation or to Davis having little or nothing left.

You'd have to imagine that the player was offered around the league and this was the best offer the the 49ers got, so it seems that the consensus around the league is that Davis is yesterday's news.

Horseface does like the big names though. I guess we'll see.

In the meantime, it will be getting colder and windier in Denver and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Elway loves "marquis" names.
Buffalo loves "marquis" names.
Yawn.
Vernon Davis have been a non factor for three years and did nothing to raise Kapperstink's level of play......yet he will now raise Flutterball Mannings?

I could argue the reverse of this is true.

I don't expect Vernon Davis to be the best TE in the game suddenly, but he's better than what they had, Denver got him for virtually nothing, so he makes them a better team.

I don't understand why people would **** on this trade.

I could argue the reverse of this is true.

I don't expect Vernon Davis to be the best TE in the game suddenly, but he's better than what they had, Denver got him for virtually nothing, so he makes them a better team.

Because they're jealous we didn't make it and fearful that the Broncos may beat us.

It all comes down to Manning. If he can play like yesterday they will be tough to beat. If he plays like rest of the year I'm confident that Brady and the offense will outscore them.

But either way homefield advantage would be so important against Manning. Can't see him playing well in Foxborough in January when it's ice cold

Wow...Elway just goes for it, doesn't he?

Yea, and I'm still dumbfounded at how hes been able to secure so many top talent players while giving out some pretty substantial contracts

From the San Francisco Message Board:

"I wish him all the best. In reality, both he and Manning are very near the end of their careers..."

"Another factor. You're trading for 8 games worth of a guy who hasn't exactly been lighting the world up."

"On NFL Network they brought it up repeatedly, that his contract was going to be the main factor that would keep a lot of teams from trading for him."

"I wonder how the Denver fans are going to react once they see Vernon alligator arming it and not fighting for extra yards."

"HaHa....Davis hasn't been a factor for 23 games at least."

"We were not going to resign Davis this offseason. No team was going to offer more then a 6th round pick for Davis. Get somthing for him and let the young guys get playing time experience"

"Considering his production over the last almost 2 years and future outlook we got a good deal."

"I'm looking forward to seeing how Vernon responds when Manning is yelling at him because he doesn't run routes correctly."

"So long captain torpedo"

"Still, goodbye to a selfish player that quit on his team over a year ago. Why he was still on the roster after last season I will never understand"

"Makes decent coin for last half of season, pending free agent. s**t stats last year and a half. Poor hands and effort especially lately. Add it all up and that's a late round pick if I've ever seen one."

"Good riddance"

"More like dropping the ball out of his hands. We got the better end of this deal."

"A TE that can't run routes going to play with a QB that struggles to throw it beyond 15 yards. Its a perfect match"

"Had to cut ties with Davis, he was simply not earning his paycheck"

"Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 5m5 minutes ago
With the #49ers trade of TE Vernon Davis, the #Broncos will now pay him his remaining scheduled $2.51 million in salary and bonuses"

"That's actually a lot more than I thought they'd get."

"
bigsmile.gif
I love this move!"

Vernon Davis ***Traded to Denver*** | Page 378

Last edited:
Absolutely. This is probably the final year of Peyton and the GM will buy what it takes to get Peyton another SB ring.
Which is why it is crucial for us to get HFA and make sure the correct teams win every week. I dont want to go into Denver for the playoffs granted it will be cold and Manning wont like it. But there is too much riding on this season. Cant have PM get a second ring. Imagine how much more we would have to see of him?

Guy won one SB 9 years ago against a crap team and has many one and dones and you see him on TV more than Jimmy Fallon.

A classic low risk high reward deal.

Hard to point out anything wrong with moves like that even if they don't pan out.

The Broncos now have two pass catching TEs that the Patriots will have to find a way to defend, and they still have a top 5 type WR (Thomas) and a cat quick WR (Sanders). In all likelihood, they just improved at almost no cost.

2 pass catching TEs that suck at blocking, making their versatility limited and predictable.

Jamie Collins will smother Vernon Davis, I'm not worried about this at all. Davis gets traded and people are suddenly acting like the guy is a world beater TE.. hes been pretty average for awhile now

He caught 4 passes while being targeted 11 times. Pats won that matchup.

Yeah, okay, sure, Pats won the matchup even though Daniels caught a touchdown which gave the Ravens a lead and further let them balloon it to 14 after halftime, as well as also keeping the game alive for Baltimore on 4th down on the final drive with a clutch catch, giving Flacco another shot to possibly get them in field goal range to tie. Thankfully they didn't, but Daniels importance in that game can't be understand by what you perceive as definitive stats to disparage him.

You can call that a win, I call it a wash. Either way, the guy isn't a JAG and was and still is a thorn for the Pats. Adding Davis only makes him even more dangerous.

Daniels torched the Pats in the playoffs last year with the Ravens. Him, Smith and Forsett walked up and down the field against our D, with an added Revis and Browner to boot. He's certainly no Gronk, but far from a JAG and matches up well against our secondary.

Gronk is a matchup nightmare for every team much like Thomas/Sanders, but Denver's D certainly has an edge over ours at the time being. Miller/Ware on Flemming/Canon gives me chills. Our game plan may mean little if Brady is pressured consistently.

We'll see. Honestly should be the game of the year.

These are honest questions for people with your viewpoint.

Does Ware disappear/slow down every season after mid November?
How about Von Miller?
What about Talib staying healthy?
Did the Broncos NOT whine about having to possibly play in NE last year?

Finally, what major addition to the Denver defense do they have that they didn't last season?
The Patriots lost to them right?

How quick people forget history. It's actually a bit troubling.

LOL, because we didn't make it of course! I wish there was a corner out there we could pick up for 2 6th rounders...

I don't care about the wins. They were going to do that anyway. What I care about is that, in a matchup of Broncos/Patriots they just found a player who will likely result in more pressure on the Patriots defensive weakness*.

*always assuming health

We have 4-5 players on this team that can cover Vernon Davis without breaking a sweat

Fact is Pats might need 16-0 for home field...Only tough game Denver has (outside of home vs NE) is at Pittsburgh

Denver plays Cincinnati and Oakland as well.

Indeed the Broncos have nobody who can cover Gronk. But they do have a couple of guys who will shamelessly take cheap shots at his knees. That genuinely worries me.

last year TJ Ward aimed straight at his surgically repaired knee... on the replay, hes like 10-15 yards back and his eyes are locked on Gronk's knee the entire run up to him.. luckily Gronk has been changing the way he runs in the open field and is protecting himself, because Ward nearly ended his season again the same way he did the year before

The Seahawks are the only team that I've seen actually play Gronk straight up and make tackles the way you're suppose to make tackles.. they didn't resort to any cheap shot ******** by going low

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back