PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Raiders just lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. He'll keep maneuvering and accumulating to ensure he can do what he wants in the future.

People will say BB "never".......I think it depends. If there is a new $ ceiling on #1, then all things historical are out. If there is a defensive player who BB covets, I think he moves up regardless of any cap. For instance, if we have the #5 pick, and a defensive playmaker is available who is a future HOF'r (in BB mind), he moves up.
When its all said and done, essentially, the Pats have 3 # 1's next year.

Looks like McFadden is hurt and the Chargers are coming up next week. Get ready for 1-4, Raiders fans.

Looking at the Raiders' schedule, there is only one game I see where they might be favored (San Fran).

Oh happy days :]]]

Looking at the Raiders' schedule, there is only one game I see where they might be favored (San Fran).

The 49ers will come around,don't see the Raiders beating them

imgres

You got to play the games but i am hoping for a 4-12 record or 5-11.

BB will do what he always does. Trade down for value and further strengthening his draft position by accumulating future picks.

I hope we're able to pick up some immediate impact players on both sides of the ball in either free agency or the draft.

Any complaints about Jerod Mayo?

Neither did he move back when Vince Wilfork slid into our laps at 21. Belichick maneuvers around teh draft board better than anyone I have seen. You can fault some of the PICKS that actually get used, but hte concept of sliding back to accumulate picks because there are a bunch of guys on the board with similar values is not to be argued with.

But after missing the boat on a Clay Mathews and a few other picks I hope we go for a game changing player..

You do get that Belichick & Co. don't know, or even THINK, that they are moving away from "game-changing players", right? It's not like he's sliding back going "well, I could have this Pro Bowler, but instead I want JAG plus an extra 5th rounder".

Instead, they look at their board, and they determine either that they have a bunch of guys with very similar grades, or someone with a higher grade that is very much NOT likely to be taken before they go again, and then they slide back a few slots, pick up "extra value" and then get the guy they wanted all along, or another guy with the same grade.

Let me give you an example: You have the #1 draft in the proverbial all-time NFL draft. Any player, any era. You can take Montana, Brady, Manning, Elway, Unitas, Jim Brown, Butkus, etc. etc.

The guy with the #3 pick calls you up and says "I'll give you my first and third round pick for you #1. Do you take that deal? Of course you do. Why? Because is there really THAT much of a difference between whichever QB you want to take at the top of the draft board? No, not really.

That's what Belichick does every time he's sliding back. Getting more vlaue than the difference between the players available NOW, and the players likely to be available when he drafts again.

Aaron Hernandez and Gronk say "Hi".

I assume he meant more specifically the running back position, because other than a few misses (Jackson, Johnson, Watson is you want to count him), we've been pretty solid finding offensive players:

Gronk
Hernandez
Our entire O-Line
Graham
Tate (maybe)
Edelman
Cassel
Hoyer
Green-Ellis (not drafted)

And the jury is still out on long term value of guys like Price, Ohrnberger, etc.

The jury is still out on this team when it comes to the draft.If u get a top 6 pick dont play around and use the damn pick and get a game changing player on defense!!!

The jury is still out on this team when it comes to the draft.If u get a top 6 pick dont play around and use the damn pick and get a game changing player on defense!!!

Again, like they've done both times that they've had a top ten pick. Unless you're honestly complaining that we moved back 3 spots to pick up Mayo.

Its going to be interesting to see if there is a rookie scale put in place, what the patriots will do. Because now, a top 5 pick will be at a premium and teams won't worry about the large price tag that comes with it.. IN theory, the picks will be worth more than previous years..

But after missing the boat on a Clay Mathews and a few other picks I hope we go for a game changing player..
While obviously it would be nice if Matthews were on the Pats' roster, you can't just look at that pick in a vacuum. It's not as simple as adding Matthews and losing no current player, or even trading Matthews for Chung. In exchange for Matthews the Patriots ended up with Butler, Tate, Edelman and Gronkowski. Time will tell who got the better value, but my guess is that if the two teams made that trade today that many Pats fans would be screaming that the team gave up far too much for him.

Similarly, regardless of how his career unfolds, one cannot simply ponder how the team would be with the addition of Dez Bryant. In reality the Pats got Devin McCourty, Taylor Price and Aaron Hernandez in exchange for passing on him. And with the 2009 #89 pick, which Tennessee used to pick TE Jared Cook, the Pats ended up with Brandon Spikes, Zoltan Mesko, and the 2010 #89 pick - which is now that Carolina 2011 2nd round pick.

If we're going to try to evaluate these trades let's look at everything that was obtained in return.

Unfortunately Oakland could be up to 3-3 after this week. Saying Alex Smith looks bad would be a massive understatement.

If the Raiders lose today...

0-5
Bills
Panthers

1-5
49ers
Browns

1-4
Cowboys or Vikings

2-4
Chargers
Cowboys or Vikings
Raiders

And one can assume the Cowboys, Vikings and 49ers will end up with better records than the Raiders. Which would put them in the Top 4 worst.

Unfortunately Oakland could be up to 3-3 after this week. Saying Alex Smith looks bad would be a massive understatement.

3rd and 7; so he passes to Davis on a 2 yard 90 out!

If the Raiders lose today...

0-5
Bills
Panthers

1-5
49ers
Browns

1-4
Cowboys or Vikings

2-4
Chargers
Cowboys or Vikings
Raiders

And one can assume the Cowboys, Vikings and 49ers will end up with better records than the Raiders. Which would put them in the Top 4 worst.

Why can one assume the 49ers will have a better record than Oakland?

Why can one assume the 49ers will have a better record than Oakland?

More talent and easier schedule than Raiders.

49ers
vs Broncos
vs Bucs
vs Cardinals
vs Rams
vs Seahawks
@ Cardinals
@ Chargers
@ Packers
@ Panthers
@ Rams

Raiders
@ Broncos
@ Chargers
@ Chiefs
@ Steelers
@ Jaguars
vs Chiefs
vs Colts
vs Broncos
vs Dolphins
vs Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back