PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT prospect Brandon Thomas tears ACL. Could he be value now later in the draft?

jsull87

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ex-Clemson OL Brandon Thomas suffers torn ACL - NFL.com

Rumored to be a high 2nd rounder with good versatility. We could have another Marcus Cannon situation. OL is a spot of need for both depth and starters. Could be a steal in the 5th round area.

Anybody here high/low on this guy?

Paging Mayoclinic.

;)
I've already mocked him in. :p This year's Marcus Cannon.

Seriously, Brandon Thomas and Joel Bitonio were my 2 favorite interior OL prospects in this draft. As far as I'm concerned, Thomas is well worth taking at any point on day 3 and stashing away for a year. I and presumed he would be a top 40 pick before his injury.

Brandon Thomas Injury: Updates on NFL Draft Prospect's Knee and Recovery | Bleacher Report

Of course, there are probably a lot of teams thinking the same way.

My "all-ACL" draft:

- Dominique Easley, DT/DE
- Brandon Thomas, OL
- Antone Exum, DB
- Trey Millard, FB/H-Back

We probably don't even have room for CB Aaron Colvin, or he'd probably be on the list, too.

I could see the Jets takin this guy honestly but I'd be happy with him in NE, very happy

The question in my mind is not if you target him but when.

He is going to end up on an NFL team for sure somewhere due to his upside if healthy. The only question is how much capital are you prepared to spend?

No way IMO he goes undrafted so you need to target him with a pick. However I don't think we are currently in position to do it. Pick 140 is way to valuable to use on a guy who can't play in this year in this particular draft. I think we can get a very solid player there knowing how deep this draft is. A 4th rounder even that low is just too much to give up.

However does he last till pick #198? I don't think so. If he does it is a no brainer to take him there IMO. However I think to get him you likely need a pick in the 170 range which we currently don't have. I would say some kind of trade needs to happen for us to get him unless we are very fortunate.

The question in my mind is not if you target him but when.

He is going to end up on an NFL team for sure somewhere due to his upside if healthy. The only question is how much capital are you prepared to spend?

No way IMO he goes undrafted so you need to target him with a pick. However I don't think we are currently in position to do it. Pick 140 is way to valuable to use on a guy who can't play in this year in this particular draft. I think we can get a very solid player there knowing how deep this draft is. A 4th rounder even that low is just too much to give up.

However does he last till pick #198? I don't think so. If he does it is a no brainer to take him there IMO. However I think to get him you likely need a pick in the 170 range which we currently don't have. I would say some kind of trade needs to happen for us to get him unless we are very fortunate.

Just for comparison, the Pats took Marcus Cannon at pick #138 in 2011. They took Brandon Tate at pick #83 in 2009. San Francisco took Marcus Lattimore at pick #131 last year. A 4th round comp pick is about the right range for me to take a shot at a legitimate long term starter who is only available because of injury, and I've got Thomas penciled in at 140 for now - it's essentially a 5th round pick. I agree it is unlikely that Thomas will fall to 198, and I think there are lots of teams that will start looking at him in the 5th round. I understand the argument that this is a strong draft, but I still think Thomas is likely to be a better value than anyone you can get at 140.

Just for comparison, the Pats took Marcus Cannon at pick #138 in 2011. They took Brandon Tate at pick #83 in 2009. San Francisco took Marcus Lattimore at pick #131 last year. A 4th round comp pick is about the right range for me to take a shot at a legitimate long term starter who is only available because of injury, and I've got Thomas penciled in at 140 for now - it's essentially a 5th round pick. I agree it is unlikely that Thomas will fall to 198, and I think there are lots of teams that will start looking at him in the 5th round. I understand the argument that this is a strong draft, but I still think Thomas is likely to be a better value than anyone you can get at 140.

I agree, 140 would be a really solid spot for Thomas. He would almost be ideal for us where he could sit out 2014 and rehab his injury, but still be around the team, learn how the be a pro and learn the system to maybe take over from Mankins at LG in 2015.

That completely sucks. I feel for the kid.

Regarding Colvin with the aggressive system we're all pushing I see him as a safety conversion. I think he'll get drafted by a Tampa-2 team or a team that plays more of a man-off scheme.

Well I guess it depends on who you think falls to 140. IMO if one of Exum - SS/Christian Jones- LB/Hubbard - OLB/DE is there it would be hard for me to pass on them for a guy who is going to have to miss this year.

However nothing is saying we can not trade up to get him if that happens. I would just rather not use pick 140 unless no players are on the board I think can impact this year. Obviously I think someone decent will fall there.

I agree, 140 would be a really solid spot for Thomas. He would almost be ideal for us where he could sit out 2014 and rehab his injury, but still be around the team, learn how the be a pro and learn the system to maybe take over from Mankins at LG in 2015.

Conceivably, the Pats could get someone like Trai Turner in the 93-130 range (though there are reports of Turner rising) and Thomas around 140. Turner would plug in immediately at RG, allowing Connolly to move to center and Cannon to play a swing tackle/guard role. Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Turner-Vollmer with Cannon and Wendell for depth would be a very good OL. Thomas could then move to LG in 2015, and the Pats would have solid young bookend guards at low cost.

The Patriots have only 8 draft picks with some holes to fill. A
team with a lot of draft picks like S.F. will over pay for Thomas.

Conceivably, the Pats could get someone like Trai Turner in the 93-130 range (though there are reports of Turner rising) and Thomas around 140. Turner would plug in immediately at RG, allowing Connolly to move to center and Cannon to play a swing tackle/guard role. Solder-Mankins-Connolly-Turner-Vollmer with Cannon and Wendell for depth would be a very good OL. Thomas could then move to LG in 2015, and the Pats would have solid young bookend guards at low cost.

I think Turner will be well out of reach for the Pats liking (unless they want him at 29). I think he will be the 1st interior OL taken in the draft and potentially a 1st round pick. Although I do love the idea of taking a RG in the first 3 rounds and Thomas as the eventual LG in the late 4th/5th rounds. Maybe someone like David Yankey (who I could see falling to the 3rd) or Gabe Jackson would be good fits at RG for the Pats.

I think Turner will be well out of reach for the Pats liking (unless they want him at 29). I think he will be the 1st interior OL taken in the draft and potentially a 1st round pick. Although I do love the idea of taking a RG in the first 3 rounds and Thomas as the eventual LG in the late 4th/5th rounds. Maybe someone like David Yankey (who I could see falling to the 3rd) or Gabe Jackson would be good fits at RG for the Pats.

Any of those guys would be good fits, as would Dakota Dozier or Travis Swanson. The point is that I think the Pats can get a good OL around 93 or even 130, and then double up with Thomas at 140, and address the interior OL for the next 4-5 years at reasonably low cost. I wouldn't take an OL at 29, and probably not at 62, but I would double up on the position between 93, 130 and 140, and I'd make Thomas part of that. The Pats probably don't want to start 2 rookies anyway, so his ACL injury just allows him to be phased in.

The Patriots have only 8 draft picks with some holes to fill. A
team with a lot of draft picks like S.F. will over pay for Thomas.

San Francisco has 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. It will be interesting to see how many, if any, they trade away. With picks in the 4th and 5th rounds as well, SF will be a prime candidate for waiver/cut raids if they make all those picks.

I third this. I'd absolutely take him at 140. It's too easy to view the draft as a one year thing but we could be talking about a LG for the next ten years in Thomas and I'm prepared too sacrifice whatever 140 might be (unless it's a binky :) ) for that potential future.

My "all-ACL" draft:

- Dominique Easley, DT/DE
- Brandon Thomas, OL
- Antone Exum, DB
- Trey Millard, FB/H-Back

We probably don't even have room for CB Aaron Colvin, or he'd probably be on the list, too.

I had Thomas as one of my Pats picks before the injury and Id love to get him with one of our 4th Rd picks. Colvin is also a day 3 pick.

Thomas may fall as low as the 6th or 7th round because of the ACL injury. Think he would be Perfect pick as the second OL in the draft and could see the Pats pick Yankey, Jackson or possibly Su'a-Filo in the 2nd or 3rd and then pick Thomas. He would be a perfect project type of player for the Pats to groom and prepare for next year.

I'd be fine using a 5th, 4th, or even 3rd on this guy if he really Is that good... 1st round talent on day 2 is exactly how BB drafts.
Also gives us roster flexibility (we stash one more player in sept...)

These are the moves that I love .

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back