PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Thoughts on the Draft So Far

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lots written about this draft so far, but I thought I'd add a few thoughts. I'll organize this into 3 sections:

I. The Malcom Brown Pick at #32

- Its been a long time since a Pats' 1st round pick was greeted with such universal enthusiasm. Vince Wilfork in 2004 is probably the last time that I can remember. No one expected Brown to be available, and I'm sure the Pats didn't either. I strongly suspect they were in the process of trading back, expecting Indy or New Orleans to snap Brown up, and then pulled their offer off the table once he slid. BB is probably giddy, or as close to it as he gets.

- My #1 rule is to not take a player above the level where you have him rated. I think that Brown was a 1st round talent, so the Pats got good value in taking him at #32; even more so because he's a good schematic fit and fills an area of need. I would have been much less happy if they had reached to fill a positional need with a player who I didn't consider a 1st round talent (see below).

- Brown makes a ton of sense given his high floor and positional/technical versatility. He's quick enough to 1 gap and strong enough to 2 gap. He can play from the 0/1 out to the 5. Marcus Hardison is even more versatile, but a lot more raw. Grady Jarrett is slightly more explosive and disruptive, but not as versatile, and probably limited to a 1-gap scheme. Eddie Goldman is perhaps stouter as a run stuffer, but less productive and explosive, and probably limited to a 2-gap scheme. Carl Davis was inconsistent and had motor questions, Jordan Phillips was inconsistent with back questions. Even Danny Shelton was limited to a pure NT, and Leonard Williams and Arik Amstead aren't suited to play the 0/1. Hard to fault the pick.

- The pick shows how little difference there is between the top 10 and #32, especially in this draft. I had Brown rated well above Danny Shelton (#12 to Cleveland) and Arik Armstead (#17 to SF). He may not have quite as much of a ceiling as Leonard Williams, but he's probably a better fit given his ability to play the 0/1 tech. No one would have batted an eye if Brown had gone top 15-20. There were bigger reaches in the top 10, IMO (Ereck Flowers).

II. The 1st Round

- It was pretty clear that this draft lacked elite talents but was very deep, so there wasn't much of a trade up market. My guess is that the Pats would have given a discount if they had traded back to #51 with Houston. There were a lot of reaches, IMO, with teams having very different draft boards. I'll comment on a few picks below.

- I like Dante Fowler a lot, but I just don't see any traits that make him a top 3 talent. I don't think he's near the prospect that Khalil Mack was last year. I just don't see elite explosiveness. I love his overall game and versatility, but top 3?

- I feel the same way about Brandon Scherff. Fine prospect, great toughness. But top 5? I think he's a guard, and perhaps better suited to RG than LG. He's no Jonathan Cooper, IMO.

- Ereck Flowers at #9 seems like a huge reach to me. Ditto Andrus Peat at #13. La'el Collins is a better pure prospect than either, IMO. So is TJ Clemmings, though he's a bit raw.

- I was very iffy on Arik Armstead at #17, Nelson Agholor at #20, Cedric Ogbuehi at #21, Shaq Thompson at #25, and Phillip Dorsett at #29 (thank the Gods) and Stephone Anthony at #31. I think that Thompson and Anthony could have been gotten later, but there was probably a lack of trade partners. New Orleans really reached with their 2 1st round picks, IMO.

- Last year I had Greg Robinson as my #1 overall prospect, and Aaron Donald as my #1 defensive prospect. St. Louis took Robinson at #2 and Donald at #13. This year I had Todd Gurley as my top rated prospect. St. Louis took Gurley at #10. That is a very talented team.

- Cleveland has one heck of a talented OL with Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joel Bitonio and Cam Erving.

- I think that Landon Collins is probably about as good a prospect as Mark Barron was in 2012, or LaRon Landry in 2007. But times have changed.

- I was so happy when Detroit took Laken Tomlinson. I love the kid's smarts and character, and he seems strong and tough. But he has such slow feet. I just don't want that. He's only played RG, and his feet just don't seem what we need in a LG. We already have Cam Fleming. I just don't think Tomlinson is a 1st round talent, and I would have been upset to reach to fill a positional need. I'm not on the AJ Cann bandwagon for the same reason, and even less so with guys like Tre Jackson.

III. Day 2

- I know that people are hoping for a CB and OL, and so am I, if the values are there. But in general, I think the best approach is to not reach to fill needs. The Pats have the ammo to trade up if the right guy is available at the right price, but there's no need to come away with any single prospect at a prohibitive cost.

- Guys I like the most in the 2nd round are Eric Rowe, TJ Clemmings, and Ali Marpet. I also wouldn't be unhappy with Tevin Coleman, Jalen Collins, Jake Fisher, Benardrick McKinney or Danielle Hunter.

- Guys I like the most in the 3rd round are Marcus Hardison, David Johnson, Josh Shaw and Quentin Rollins.

- If the Pats don't trade up in the 2nd round I'd consider trading up for Randy Gregory if he slips to the early 3rd round, though I doubt that will happen.

- La'el Collins is the wild card of this draft. It will be fascinating to see if/when someone pulls the trigger (though perhaps that's an unfortunate term given the circumstances). He's a top 15-20 prospect, and the idea of the Pats getting both Brown and Collins in the same draft would have been beyond anyone's wildest dreams a week or two ago. The Pats could potentially trade up for a CB like Eric Rowe in the 2nd round and add Collins later on, and come away with 3 really, really good players.

- As Patchick notes, a deep draft where there's absolutely no consensus on player rankings and evaluation over a 50+ pick range is really a lot of fun, and tailor made for Bill Belichick.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with your entire post except I would take Hunter at 64. I think he's excellent against the run and has the athletic ability to get much better as an edge rusher and can set the edge and play in space.

I wanted to kill the Redskins for taking Brandon Scherff and letting Williams fall to the Jets. Say want you want about the Jets but Williams, Richardson and Wilkerson is a sick DL and likely the best in the league.

I pretty much agree with your entire post except I would take Hunter at 64. I think he's excellent against the run and has the athletic ability to get much better as an edge rusher and can set the edge and play in space.

I think you misunderstood. I said that I "wouldn't be unhappy" (i.e., I'd be fine with) Hunter in the 2nd round.

Ah my bad.

Lots written about this draft so far, but I thought I'd add a few thoughts. I'll organize this into 3 sections:

I. The Malcom Brown Pick at #32

- Its been a long time since a Pats' 1st round pick was greeted with such universal enthusiasm. Vince Wilfork in 2004 is probably the last time that I can remember. No one expected Brown to be available, and I'm sure the Pats didn't either. I strongly suspect they were in the process of trading back, expecting Indy or New Orleans to snap Brown up, and then pulled their offer off the table once he slid. BB is probably giddy, or as close to it as he gets.

- My #1 rule is to not take a player above the level where you have him rated. I think that Brown was a 1st round talent, so the Pats got good value in taking him at #32; even more so because he's a good schematic fit and fills an area of need. I would have been much less happy if they had reached to fill a positional need with a player who I didn't consider a 1st round talent (see below).

- Brown makes a ton of sense given his high floor and positional/technical versatility. He's quick enough to 1 gap and strong enough to 2 gap. He can play from the 0/1 out to the 5. Marcus Hardison is more versatile, but a lot more raw. Grady Jarrett is slightly more explosive and disruptive, but not as versatile, and probably limited to a 1-gap scheme. Eddie Goldman is perhaps stouter as a run stuffer, but less productive and explosive, and probably limited to a 2-gap scheme. Carl Davis was inconsistent and had motor questions, Jordan Phillips was inconsistent was back questions. Even Danny Shelton was limited to a pure NT, and Leonard Williams and Arik Amstead aren't suited to play the 0/1. Hard to fault the pick.

- The pick shows how little difference there is between the top 10 and #32, especially in this draft. I had Brown rated well above Danny Shelton (#12 to Cleveland) and Arik Amstead (#17 to SF). He may not have quite as much of a ceiling as Leonard Williams, but he's probably a better fit given his ability to play the 0/1 tech. No one would have batted an eye if Brown had gone top 15-20. There were bigger reaches in the top 10, IMO (Ereck Flowers).

II. The 1st Round

- It was pretty clear that this draft lacked elite talents but was very deep, so there wasn't much of a trade up market. My guess is that the Pats would have given a discount if they had traded back to #51 with Houston. There were a lot of reaches, IMO, with teams having very different draft boards. I'll comment on a few picks below.

- I like Dante Fowler a lot, but I just don't see any traits that make him a top 3 talent. I don't think he's near the prospect that Khalil Mack was last year. I just don't see elite explosiveness. I love his overall game and versatility, but top 3?

- I feel the same way about Brandon Scherff. Fine prospect, great toughness. But top 5? I think he's a guard, and perhaps better suited to RG than LG. He's no Jonathan Cooper, IMO.

- Ereck Flowers at #9 seems like a huge reach to me. Ditto Andrus Peat at #13. La'el Collins is a better pure prospect than either, IMO. So is TJ Clemmings, though he's a bit raw.

- I was very iffy on Arik Amstead at #17, Nelson Agholor at #20, Cedric Ogbuehi at #21, Shaq Thompson at #25, and Phillip Dorsett at #29 (thank the Gods) and Stephone Anthony at #31. I think that Thompson and Anthony could have been gotten later, but there was probably a lack of trade partners. New Orleans really reached with their 2 1st round picks, IMO.

- Last year I had Greg Robinson as my #1 overall prospect, and Aaron Donald as my #1 defensive prospect. St. Louis took Robinson at #2 and Donald at #13. This year I had Todd Gurley as my top rated prospect. St. Louis took Gurley at #10. That is a very talented team.

- Cleveland has one heck of a talented OL with Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joel Bitonio and Cam Erving.

- I think that Landon Collins is probably about as good a prospect as Mark Barron was in 2012, or LaRon Landry in 2007. But times have changed.

- I was so happy when Detroit took Laken Tomlinson. I love the kid's smarts and character, and he seems strong and tough. But he has such slow feet. I just don't want that. He's only played RG, and his feet just don't seem what we need in a LG. We already have Cam Fleming. I just don't think Tomlinson is a 1st round talent, and I would have been upset to reach to fill a positional need. I'm not on the AJ Cann bandwagon for the same reason, and even less so with guys like Tre Jackson.

III. Day 2

- I know that people are hoping for a CB and OL, and so am I, if the values are there. But in general, I think the best approach is to not reach to fill needs. The Pats have the ammo to trade up if the right guy is available at the right price, but there's no need to come away with any single prospect at a prohibitive cost.

- Guys I like the most in the 2nd round are Eric Rowe, TJ Clemmings, and Ali Marpet. I wouldn't be unhappy with Tevin Coleman, Jalen Collins, Jake Fisher, Benardrick McKinney or Danielle Hunter.

- Guys I like the most in the 3rd round are Marcus Hardison, David Johnson, Josh Shaw and Quentin Rollins.

- If the Pats don't trade up in the 2nd round I'd consider trading up for Randy Gregory if he slips to the early 3rd round, though I doubt that will happen.

- La'el Collins is the wild card of this draft. It will be fascinating to see if/when someone pulls the trigger. He's a top 15-20 prospect, and the idea of the Pats getting both Brown and Collins in the same draft would have been beyond anyone's wildest dreams a week or two ago. The Pats could potentially trade up for a CB like Eric Rowe in the 2nd round and add Collins later on, and come away with 3 really, really good players.

- As Patchick notes, a deep draft where there's absolutely no consensus on player rankings and evaluation over a 50+ pick range is really a lot of fun, and tailor made for Bill Belichick.

I would be all over La'el Collins in the third if he's still available. He's a top 10 talent. If he beats these charges, we have a potential elite level OG. If he gets charged, the team could easily cut bait. If we can pull in him and either one of Rowe, Darby, or Collins in Day 2 to go along with Brown, this team will enjoy the best draft of any team so far and, IMO, the best looking draft since 2010 through three rounds.

Great post per usual. At this point though I would not entirely rule it out... I would be very surprised if they take a DT in the top 4 rounds.

We have Easley, Brown, Branch, Siliga, and Jones. We could potentially use a 6th option but we just shouldn't have a lot of playing time to go around at DT. Never say never of course but it has now fallen to a very low need and IMO if you pick a DT again high he clearly needs to be BPA in the draft which I don't think will is likely to happen.

I quit considering Brown too. He caught my eye in the OU/Texas game. My favorite college game every year. The Sooners were expected to roll. They won the game because of a ok return and turnovers. Texas stuffed OU's running game. Pretty good OL too. And, a back who later ran for 400 against Kansas. They had no answer for Brown. Started to watch him after that.

Texas had turned into a bit of a country club late in Mack Brown's tenure. Brown didn't do much his frosh and soph year. Charlie Strong came in and cracked the whip. Numerous players booted. Brown responded with an All-American season. I think he'll be a great fit with our no-nonsense approach.

I too thought some OL and WR's were over-drafted. I don't think we have a lot of open roster spots. I think we trade up for a cb. I've wanted to address cb and dt first all along. Hope we do it.

I'd take La'el Collins at 96 or 97. You just cut him if he's involved. If he's not involved, he becomes the best pick in the draft. Round 3 is usually a graveyard for us anyway.

I quit considering Brown too. He caught my eye in the OU/Texas game. My favorite college game every year. The Sooners were expected to roll. They won the game because of a ok return and turnovers. Texas stuffed OU's running game. Pretty good OL too. And, a back who later ran for 400 against Kansas. They had no answer for Brown. Started to watch him after that.

Texas had turned into a bit of a country club late in Mack Brown's tenure. Brown didn't do much his frosh and soph year. Charlie Strong came in and cracked the whip. Numerous players booted. Brown responded with an All-American season. I think he'll be a great fit with our no-nonsense approach.

I too thought some OL and WR's were over-drafted. I don't think we have a lot of open roster spots. I think we trade up for a cb. I've wanted to address cb and dt first all along. Hope we do it.

I'd take La'el Collins at 96 or 97. You just cut him if he's involved. If he's not involved, he becomes the best pick in the draft. Round 3 is usually a graveyard for us anyway.

I'm right there with you. I never even mocked Brown to the Pats because I just assumed he wasn't going to be there and was thinking Goldman instead.

I'm right there with you. I never even mocked Brown to the Pats because I just assumed he wasn't going to be there and was thinking Goldman instead.

To show no bias. After my alma mater(PSU), OU has always been my favorite team. Can't stand Texas. But, if you are a college football fan. The Red River War is an awesome scene.

I would be all over La'el Collins in the third if he's still available. He's a top 10 talent. If he beats these charges, we have a potential elite level OG. If he gets charged, the team could easily cut bait. If we can pull in him and either one of Rowe, Darby, or Collins in Day 2 to go along with Brown, this team will enjoy the best draft of any team so far and, IMO, the best looking draft since 2010 through three rounds.

It's never happen (for a number of reasons), but with a "safe" pick in hand in Malcolm Brown, the here's a tantalizing day 2 hypothetical:

- 64. CB. Eric Rowe is probably too much to hope for, but Jalen Collins or Quentin Rollins could be available.

- Trade 96+101 to move up to around 75 in the 3rd if Randy Gregory or Danielle Hunter slips. Both have great length and movement in space. Gregory is far more explosive, Hunter better against the run. An alternate would be to move up if a coveted RB was available.

- Take La'el Collins at 97.

Way too much risk, and not likely that Gregory or Hunter would slip to the 3rd round. But I never really thought Malcom Brown would be within range. That would add major talent at 4 positions, including postentially 3 guys considered top 20 talents just a few weeks ago (Brown, Gregory, La'el Collins and Jalen Collins). Again, it won't happe

Myself I was happy with the pick. Honestly I was hoping at the time that they would grab Clemmings. However you just couldn't lose with Brown either. Both were needs and both were being drafted a lot later then maybe they should of. Either way I thought they were getting a good football player at 32.

You and others were scouting the DTs hard and early. I know Brown,Phillips, Goldman and Shelton were pretty much consensus possibilities as well as Grady Jarrett making a push recently.

Btw, what was Browns 10 yard split? Keep Rewatching his highlights and he seems to have more short area quickness than the rest of the big men.

This defensive front is going to be great real soon. Having Easley back healthy is like drafting two stud DTs along with Brown this year.Thrown in Sheard, Hightower, Collins, Mayo,Nink and Jones and that is a lot of firepower.

Too many possibilities to ponder this afternoon. Impossible, really. Do you move up and grab Rowe or Collins to shore the Cb position? Do you move up for Clemmings and fill the LG position? Stay pat and get Marpet? Lot of moving parts with a lot of picks to shuffle around the board with. Gregory? Talented but my guess is no fawking way. 32 teams passed on him for a big reason.

And yes I am glad I'm not a New Orleans Saints fan today. But I have to remind myself that the 2nd and 3rd round is tonight and I'm really just hoping for names I recognize who can help out. Wilson and Harmon ended up being contributors but we had to dig deep to find them.

There are a couple of players that I would love to see the Pats grab tonight, unfortunately I think these three may or may not be around at 64, will definitely not be there at 96:

Ameer Abdullah- RB, Nebraska, great heart, team leader would fill the 3rd down back void maybe even more talented than Vereen.

Alex Carter, CB, Stanford tall (6'0" corner), need size (height) in the secondary or Eric Rowe

Ali Marpet huge (6'4" 307) guard in the Mankins mold

I'm pretty sure the Pats will trade pick #96, either in a move up in the second of for a second next year. It just makes too much sense with them also having picks #97 and #102.

Later round binkies:

Chris Conley WR, Georgia, super fast, had some injuries plus Georgia ran the ball last year. He could re a real sleeper.

Nick Marshall CB, Auburn- dismissed from Georgia was a RB then CB, then QB for Auburn. BB should just should just say the same thing he said to Edelman, I don't know where we will play you, but you can play!

Darren Waller WR, GA Tech- ridiculous height (6'6") and of course, coming from Tech can block. Could make a great project, if nothing else the Superbowl should show how hard it is to cover a really tall WR.

Nick O'Leary TE, Florida St. kid made so many clutch catches, plus he is the great Jack Nicklaus' grandson!

Durell Eskridge S, Syracuse- had to include one from the ole alma mata, big FS 6'3" and not afraid to hit someone. If nothing else would be a great ST player.

Myself I was happy with the pick. Honestly I was hoping at the time that they would grab Clemmings. However you just couldn't lose with Brown either. Both were needs and both were being drafted a lot later then maybe they should of. Either way I thought they were getting a good football player at 32.

You and others were scouting the DTs hard and early. I know Brown,Phillips, Goldman and Shelton were pretty much consensus possibilities as well as Grady Jarrett making a push recently.

Btw, what was Browns 10 yard split? Keep Rewatching his highlights and he seems to have more short area quickness than the rest of the big men.

This defensive front is going to be great real soon. Having Easley back healthy is like drafting two stud DTs along with Brown this year.Thrown in Sheard, Hightower, Collins, Mayo,Nink and Jones and that is a lot of firepower.

Too many possibilities to ponder this afternoon. Impossible, really. Do you move up and grab Rowe or Collins to shore the Cb position? Do you move up for Clemmings and fill the LG position? Stay pat and get Marpet? Lot of moving parts with a lot of picks to shuffle around the board with. Gregory? Talented but my guess is no fawking way. 32 teams passed on him for a big reason.

And yes I am glad I'm not a New Orleans Saints fan today. But I have to remind myself that the 2nd and 3rd round is tonight and I'm really just hoping for names I recognize who can help out. Wilson and Harmon ended up being contributors but we had to dig deep to find them.

It's never happen (for a number of reasons), but with a "safe" pick in hand in Malcolm Brown, the here's a tantalizing day 2 hypothetical:

- 64. CB. Eric Rowe is probably too much to hope for, but Jalen Collins or Quentin Rollins could be available.

- Trade 96+101 to move up to around 75 in the 3rd if Randy Gregory or Danielle Hunter slips. Both have great length and movement in space. Gregory is far more explosive, Hunter better against the run. An alternate would be to move up if a coveted RB was available.

- Take La'el Collins at 97.

Way too much risk, and not likely that Gregory or Hunter would slip to the 3rd round. But I never really thought Malcom Brown would be within range. That would add major talent at 4 positions, including postentially 3 guys considered top 20 talents just a few weeks ago (Brown, Gregory, La'el Collins and Jalen Collins). Again, it won't happe

Gregory is going to go early today. IMO. We could fall into someone like Abdullah at 64.

Brown ran a 5.05 40 at the Combine with a 1.75 10-split, at 319#. That's the same split as what Sheldon Richardson posted in 2013 at 294#. Brown also had a 4.59 SS, 7.84 3C, 8'2" BJ and 29.5" VJ. For comparison:

- Haloti Ngata (338#): 5.16 40, 1.73 10-split, 4.65 SS, 7.95 3C, 9'2" BJ, 31.5" VJ.
- Ndamukong Suh (307#): 5.07 40, 1.74 10-split, 4.44 SS, 7.21 3C, 8'9" BJ, 35.5" VJ.
- Muhammad Wilkerson (315#): 5.05 40, 1.80 10-split, 4.59 SS, 7.31 3C, 8'10" BJ, 26" VJ.
- Marcel Dareus (319#): 4.95 40, 1.73 10-split, 4.62 SS, 7.83 3C, 8'10" BJ, 27" VJ.
- Sylvester Williams (313#): 5.02 40, 1.76 10-split, 4.80 SS, 7.93 3C, 8'6" BJ, 26.5" VJ.

Other notable 10-splits include Aaron Donald (1.63), Fletcher Cox (1.65), Dontari Poe (1.67), Nick Fairley (1.72), Gerald McCoy (1.74) and Geno Atkins (1.75). Michael Brokers had a 1.78 split, Star Lotulelei 1.89.

This year, Grady Jarrett and Marcus Hardison both had 1.69 10-split times. Jordan Phillips had a 1.84 split, Danny Shelton 1.88, Ellis McCarthy 1.82.

I think that Brown has more quickness than most 2-gapping DTs and can penetrate, but is not quite as quick as guys like Donald, Cox, Jarrett and Hardison. But his 10-split compares well with guys like Suh, Gerald McCoy, Geno Atkins and Sheldon Richardson. I think that he's probably quick enough, given his size and strength. That combination is hard to find, especially at the end of the 1st round.

Last edited:
Having spent some months discussing the need for a penetrating d-lineman who can also stop the run, needless to say I'm thrilled with the first pick.

How about D'joun Smith in the second? How does he compare to Rollins?

Even better, you pick him but don't hand him a contract until the matter is resolved. Technically, he would not even be a member of your organization. If everything else checks out with him then I see no reason to ignore him..

Even better, you pick him but don't hand him a contract until the matter is resolved. Technically, he would not even be a member of your organization. If everything else checks out with him then I see no reason to ignore him..

Literally a minute after reading this I saw Ian Rapport say that Collins won't sign a contract with a team if he isn't taken today. Says that he'll choose to re-enter 2016 draft.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back