PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Polian complaining about no delay of game penalties...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT:polien complaining about no delay of game penalties...

I only seen one play by the Chargers where the clock was at 0 when the ball was snapped. Not a big deal, it wasn't flagged but didnt change the outcome of the game. Polian is a moron sometimes

I heard the play clock being talked about during one of the playoff games this year and they basically explained that they won't blow this whistle if the ball is snapped as the clock turns zero....in fact they are giving the QB's about half a second at zero....and then the play will be blown dead and a 5 yard DOG will be called.

I agree with Polian on this one.

The back judge can position himself so the playclock at the far end and the center are both in his field of vision. As soon as the play clock goes to zero, he should blow the whistle and throw a flag. He shouldn't have to look around to see if the ball has been snapped.

I agree with Polian on this one.

The back judge can position himself so the playclock at the far end and the center are both in his field of vision. As soon as the play clock goes to zero, he should blow the whistle and throw a flag. He shouldn't have to look around to see if the ball has been snapped.
The rule, as written, is being properly enforced. Is he complaining about the rule or the enforcement?

I heard the play clock being talked about during one of the playoff games this year and they basically explained that they won't blow this whistle if the ball is snapped as the clock turns zero....in fact they are giving the QB's about half a second at zero....and then the play will be blown dead and a 5 yard DOG will be called.

yeah I think that is pretty well what happened in this one instance I noticed

yeah I think that is pretty well what happened in this one instance I noticed

There was a playoff game a couple of years ago (Denver?) where the play clock went to zero for more than a second something like 3 times in a game and no delay of game penalty was called....It got to the point that the network carrying the game picked up on it and was putting the on-field play clock in the lower corner of the TV picture and it would be on zero and the ball was still not hiked.

The rule, as written, is being properly enforced. Is he complaining about the rule or the enforcement?

Who cares what he is complaining about. The Chargers should be the ones complaining.

He is complaining about enforcement of it...and he basically said if one listens longer about the officials making the WRONG call on it. From what he said, it may have happened more than once, but this is an issue talked about MANY times with the Pats as well.
FIRSTLY, the clock, I believe, is official. (I thought for some time that it was not and THAT discrepency was the problem.) NOT true.
SECONDLY, MORE IMPORTANT and what makes Polien's complaint so silly is what Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders pointed out about this issue. He said that a few years ago (03 or 04...I do not remember exactly but he gave the date..) that delay of game penalties were quite high and that the league...(Tags and others..) deemed that the many delay penalties were stopping the game and really making it more of a problem for viewers of the game. That year the Competition Committee ruled that officials sgould be less strict calling this as a point of emphasis. That happened years ago and officials have been ruling like that since. AND there have been less DOF calls made.
I wonder what was Polien doing during that meeting?? Having a nap?? OR has he forgotten what happened that long ago...Ironic that THEY agreed to this, that Polien ALWAYS mentions how HE is on the Competition, and that what HE OBVIOUSLY thought was a good point of emphasis is now BOGUS!!!
Should we all say HYPOCRITE very LOUDLY??
I wonderif he will be fined for COMPLAINING about the officials...If not WHY?? That's right Saint Polien can not be...

Last edited:

Announcement of a Colts penalty which should have been made on Sunday by the Referee: ...." Too many amplifiers in the stadium, Indianapolis, Number 00 GM, loss of your No. 1 pick, and an automatic....first down San Diego".

I'm surprised Polian isn't getting more negative press outside Pats boards for his constant whining after losses.

DOG calls have been pretty consistent this year, the refs always wait like a half second after the clock hits zero before throwing the flag. Damnit, if it was up to Polian, he would have replay to see if every snap was legit. He's probably #1 reason why we hate the Colts so much.

You can strike "probably" from your post and change it to "the"...........

Who cares what he is complaining about. The Chargers should be the ones complaining.
This is correct. We see constant reminders of that on this board right here. Complain after a win, and criticize those who complain after a loss.

Polian better hope Dungy doesn't retire. Personally, I think a lot of the media looks the other way when it comes to Polian because they do not want to tarnish the Colts' reputation because in large part of Dungy. The media loves Dungy, but quite a large section cannot stand Polian.

I think his little tirades will become more known throughout the country once Dungy steps down.

I don't know how he can complain about the refs when most of the calls went the Colts' way in their two biggest games of the season. In fact he praised the refs for doing a great job in the Colts/Pats game eventhough most of the country even Goodell felt it was onesided. Goodell had to have a talk with the officials after that game.

Polian is a homer fan who happens to be a GM. I think a lot of people around the league hope the Colts fall flat on their face after Dungy leaves just so everyone will know it was Dungy and not Polian who created a championship caliber team.

The funny thing is that in the championship game in '03 where the Colts had the whole world believing we got away with "mauling" their receivers, manning got away with about three expired time clocks and 2 grounding. And this was before the comp com. decided to be less harsh on delay of game penalties.

The copy of the rulebook I have says nothing about the mechanics of enforcing the delay of game rule, only that it's a penalty if the ball is not put into play in the applicable period. So it would seem the rule is not being enforced strictly as written, there is unwritten (or at least unavailable to the public) additional guidance given to officials.

Dale and Aaron Schaatz were speaking on this today and Schaatz mentioned that after 2005 the league felt there were too many delay of games called so the Comp Com. decided that they would give some leeway to the call. BTW the same comittee that Polian chairs.

Dale and Aaron Schaatz were speaking on this today and Schaatz mentioned that after 2005 the league felt there were too many delay of games called so the Comp Com. decided that they would give some leeway to the call. BTW the same comittee that Polian chairs.

Yeah, but the committee wrote a stipulation in very fine print that the rule is supposed to be strickly enforced when it favors the Colts.

Bill PoliON is angry because he thought he has every aspect of NFL refereeing in his pocket. Certainly has the PI call bought and paid for. You can expect next season that all kinds of delay of games will be called against teams playing the Colts in Indy. I'm very serious! Look for it to happen next season. It's sick and it's dirty but we know it will happen. We've seen shady officiating in Indy going on for years, seen it with our own eyes and involving teams other than our beloved Patriots. The Steelers and Chargers come to mind immediately but I'm sure if we look at game film of all Colt home games we'd see the same eyebrow raising calls made for the Colts. NBC Sports Tom Curran wrote an article citing 8 bogus calls/non-calls in the Patriot game earlier this year. NFL has a credibility problems with games played in Indianapolis.
The officials "tilt" a certain way with amazing regularity with games played in that city and it smells really bad!!

What I dont get is if Dungy is such a saint, why does he choose to work for this guy; or why doesn't he let the media know how disappointed he is in his boss's behavior. Dungy has no problem letting the media know his holier-than-thou thoughts on BB during spygate, so I'd think that when the issues come from within he'd be even more outspoken.

Last edited:
What I dont get is if Dungy is such a saint, why does he choose to work for this guy; or why doesn't he let the media know how disappointed he is in his boss's behavior. Dungy has no problem letting the media know his holier-than-thou thoughts on BB during spygate, so I'd think that when the issues come from within he'd be even more outspoken.

You haven't figured that out yet? Dungy is a fraud and one of the biggest hypocrites to walk the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back