PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: McFadden Detained After Bar Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
McFadden, who was the only person handcuffed, was released after he calmed down. Hastings said it was routine procedure to handcuff a person to gain control of a situation

After he calmed down and they realized he was the #1 hero in the state?

Call me a cynic...

If you are going to be cynical, don't be so selectively cynical. The quote might have more accurately been

"Hastings said it was routine procedure to handcuff large black men."

This is a non issue... and not because I think the Pats should draft him, I would be shocked if they do (the value of a RB so high is questionable).

Actually, believe it or not, I was at Ernie Biggs with some friends last night for a get together right before class started. The media is blowing it way out of proportion. They still aren't sure exactly who hit the bouncer, but there are cameras everywhere in there and I'm sure they will find out who it was for sure. He shouldn't have been there in the first place, as they don't let anyone under 21 in the bar and he is still 20.

If you are going to be cynical, don't be so selectively cynical. The quote might have more accurately been

This is a non issue... and not because I think the Pats should draft him, I would be shocked if they do (the value of a RB so high is questionable).

Thats not selectively cynical that is just assinine. Easy to determine without even being there that he wasn't the only Black man there as his brother was there. So nice trying to make it racist. It IS COMMON to handcuff someone that simply will not calm down. Since he wasn't the only person involved in the confrontation yet the only one handcuffed it is apparent that he WAS THE ONLY one that refused to be reasonable after the police arrived and the situation was supposed to be done. "handcuff large black men" That is just a ignorant statment.

Last edited:
Going to school with a good number of football players who have made it the NFL/will make it to the NFL, I'll tell you this... a barroom scuffle in which no one is charged is really no big deal. This made papers and websites, but be sure that this happens to most college football players quite often. Again, these guy's aren't saints.

If McFadden was waving a gun at some guy (like the Vicks), it'd be a story. Having to be restrained by police routinely because he was getting aggressive with someone (who, I can see it now, was half his size and talking all kinds of crap to McFadden) shouldn't be one.

I'll agree with that. We used to have an offensive guard that lived on my floor brfore he pledged a frat that used to ride nude on the elevators when he got drunk on the weekend.

He was drafted in the third round by the Seahawks and he never made the team.

He was caucasian, although I didn't single him out for that reason.:rolleyes:

Whether it's Ryan Leaf or Michael Vick, teams that draft top 5 and don't give due dilligence to character are fools, in my opinion.

By cynical, I mean football players being released for incidents others might be arrested for. I saw it when I was in college. It happens.

I do not know that it happened in this case.

By cynical, I mean football players being released for incidents others might be arrested for. I saw it when I was in college. It happens.

I do not know that it happened in this case.

Agreed, it might have happened. All I am saying is that my cynical scenario, that he was originally handcuffed more because of what he looks like than what he did, also happens. More often than we'd like. (And sometimes the handcuffing of a calm man for rowdiness is a self-fulfilling action, since people tend to take offense at being handcuffed.) But again no idea if it happened here. In fact, there is a great deal we don't know about what happened here, yet some people are crucifying the guy.

Since he wasn't the only person involved in the confrontation yet the only one handcuffed it is apparent that he WAS THE ONLY one that refused to be reasonable after the police arrived and the situation was supposed to be done. "handcuff large black men" That is just a ignorant statment.

I reject your assertion that "it is apparent that he WAS THE ONLY one that refused to be reasonable". It is simply naive, in my opinion, to believe that black men who might look threatening (e.g. 6'2" 225 lbs as is McFadden) are not treated differently at times by police. I am not saying it happened that way, there isn't any reliable info to base such an opinion on. But conversely there isn't enough reliable info to base your opinion on, either.

Last edited:
Agreed, it might have happened. All I am saying is that my cynical scenario, that he was originally handcuffed more because of what he looks like than what he did, also happens. More often than we'd like. But again no idea if it happened here. In fact, there is a great deal we don't know about what happened here, yet some people are crucifying the guy.

I reject your assertion that "it is apparent that he WAS THE ONLY one that refused to be reasonable". It is simply naive, in my opinion, to believe that black men who might look threatening (e.g. 6'2" 225 lbs as is McFadden) are not treated differently at times by police. I am not saying it happened that way, there isn't any reliable info to base such an opinion on. But conversely there isn't enough reliable info to base your opionion on, either.

I don't disagree with your general point, but I think it's reasonable to assume that the "at least four others" were likely black football players and possibly bigger than him.

There was a fight and a bouncer got punched, so the police apparently had cause to do something.

In my limited experience, cuffs are put on when you're arrested, I've never heard of this "calm down" strategy.

Im going to go ahead and go out on a limb here and say a meaningless bar fight in which Mcfadden was charged with nothing will not affect his draft position at all. I am willing to bet on it.

To my knowledge this is the first issue the KID has ever had. He is a kid, he made a mistake. Really not a big deal.

All those ripping this kid for a MINOR issue are hypocrites. Four words , Randy Moss Brandon Meriweather. I stuck up for both when they came here.

This is such a none issue. Seriously come on. The kid had a little to much to drink , got into a scuffle and was sent home by the police. This crap happens 25 times a night at every college in America.

This kid puts up with tons of crap every single time he tries to do anything on campus. Give him a freaking break , he didnt even get arrested.

This is at least his second bar fight. He was injured in another bar fight in 2006. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2008-01-10-arkansas-mcfadden-fight_N.htm?csp=34

I don't disagree with your general point, but I think it's reasonable to assume that the "at least four others" were likely black football players and possibly bigger than him.

There was a fight and a bouncer got punched, so the police apparently had cause to do something.

In my limited experience, cuffs are put on when you're arrested, I've never heard of this "calm down" strategy.

This is to alamo too. Handcuffing someone out of control or that will not calm down is VERY common practice. I have done it hundreds of times. I do have more experience in these things so while I wasn't there it isn't from what I read in the papers I know what the officers were trying to accomplish.

Alamo "looking threatening" is a racist statment. I personally have never known that a persons color makes them "look more threatening". His size could have somehting to do with it, but like Ray stated there were probably bigger players there. Irregardless you turned it into a racial thing with no proof period and that is WRONG. It is NOT niavie of me to assume what I did because I have been in those situations hundreds if not thousands of times have you? Your the only one baing things on personal opinions I am basing my assertions off of extensive personal experience and training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe