PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Harvey Unga and Josh Price-Brent both drafted in Supplemental Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the patriots were right in evaluating the player as not being worth a 6th. The patriots saw his workout. No other team thought he was worth a sixth. What information do you have that they do not? Or is it simply that your strategy is better than theirs? You might consider the players the patriots have drafted recently in 6th and 7th. The pats just didn't think Unga was worth the pick. The patriots had chances to get a developmental RB this year in the 2010 and passed. I don't tnink that they projected Unga as anything better than what we passed on in the 2010 draft or what we brought as UDFA's or Green-Ellis.

I don't think that Unga had much of a chance of making the 53.

Your point regarding Lewis and Smith is misplaced. Those picks were given to try to get immediate help from veterans. As you well know, this strategy has worked for the patriots at times, and has failed at times. I strongly agree with the strategy of bringing in vets to try to upgrade the current squad, even at the cost of future draft picks. I would be absolutely fine if the FO decided to use a 5th or 6th to trade for a veteran running back or fullback for camp to compete with those that we have, even if turns out that the veteran did not end up making the squad. Competition is a good thing.

Sure seems like a 2011 6th round pick would have been worth it - especially when you consider the recent trading away of 5th round draft picks that never made the roster (Alex Smith, Greg Lewis.)

I am surprised we didn't use a 6th on Unga. However, the scouting report states that he runs very upright, get tripped up easily, doesn't have breakaway speed (4.65). He also holds the football away from his body which causes Unga to fumble alot. The most daming quote I read was that he is a tailback that is more likely to be a fullback. He needs to learn to block too!

I've only seen a few clips of him on Youtube, but it was pretty obvious to me (IMO) that he's not an NFL caliber RB.

I wonder if some who are poo-pooing Unga about his 4.63 and upright running were fond of Paschall. Unga is kinda fast for his size at 237, while Paschall is very slow for his size running a 4.74 at 209. Unga is similar to Charles Scott and Anthony Dixon who were both sixth rounders. He probably would have also been a sixth rounder in this past NFL draft.

For a 6th round pick, I don't really see a lot of risk on taking a flier on Unga. But if the Pats feel he doesn't bring something new to the table. *shrugs*
Or maybe it was just roster spot crunch. They didn't project to have room to keep him on the roster and would be afraid he'd be snatched up if he were sent down to the practice squad - like that one kid they drafted, Garrett Mills. So they decided to save the pick.

Last edited:
The Bears are stacked at RB. There is a good chance Unga will be available after the first or second cutdown day anyway.

I wonder if some who are poo-pooing Unga about his 4.63 and upright running were fond of Paschall. Unga is kinda fast for his size at 237, while Paschall is very slow for his size running a 4.74 at 209. Unga is similar to Charles Scott and Anthony Dixon who were both sixth rounders. He probably would have also been a sixth rounder in this past NFL draft.
What I don't know about these two guys would fill a library (who would be very familiar with both?), but to me Paschall seemed to be a better runner than Unga, so with the Pats dropping Paschall, it's not a major surprise they weren't interested in Unga. We still have more RBs than will make the team, all of whom I like better than Unga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News