PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Harvey Unga and Josh Price-Brent both drafted in Supplemental Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Both went for seventh round picks. Unga to the Bears and Price-Brent to Dallas. So much for all the talk about Unga going for a third rounder. It seems every year there is a supplemental pick everyone says will go for a high pick and 9 times out of 10 they go for something like a sixth rounder or less.

Both went for seventh round picks. Unga to the Bears and Price-Brent to Dallas. So much for all the talk about Unga going for a third rounder. It seems every year there is a supplemental pick everyone says will go for a high pick and 9 times out of 10 they go for something like a sixth rounder or less.

Not sure how the supplemental draft works, but was there something preventing us from giving up a 7th for Unga? He's someone that I would have really liked to see in our rotation and a 7th round pick is really cheap.

Not sure how the supplemental draft works, but was there something preventing us from giving up a 7th for Unga? He's someone that I would have really liked to see in our rotation and a 7th round pick is really cheap.
The supplemental draft goes in the order of last year's draft (the original order, before trades) so Chicago would win if we both bid a #7. If we had bid a #6 or higher we'd have gotten him.

Last edited:
Quick primer on supplemental draft:
You bid for the player with one of your picks in the upcoming draft, weighted in this year's draft order, in a sealed bid. The team with the highest draft pick bid wins the rights to the player.

So, since Chicago had a 7-9 record, they would have won the rights if NE bid a seventh. However, had Buffalo or Cleveland or any other team with fewer than 7 wins bid a seventh, they would earn the player. New England would have had to bid a sixth to better Chicago's offer. Then, if you use that pick on the supplemental player, you lose that pick in the next draft.

A seventh pick for Unga appears to be tremendous value. It's very surprising that no team bid a fifth or sixth.

Oh well... nevermind :)

This is where BB, economizing on the # of coaches and management expenses really blew it. Word up is that he asked BJGE to fax in our 2011 6th round pick for Unga but the fax machine had 'problems'.

Last edited:
Sure seems like a 2011 6th round pick would have been worth it - especially when you consider the recent trading away of 5th round draft picks that never made the roster (Alex Smith, Greg Lewis.)

I know he's been hyped up due to being the best player in the supplemental draft, but he's not even close to being worth a 3rd rounder. He's a big, heavy, slow RB. He best fits as a fullback. You don't spend a 3rd rounder on a FB. As far as the Pats go, not only would we rarely use him in our system, but it's hard to imagine Unga making the team at all. There's nothing that I've seen to make me think he could beat out any of the top 5 RBs we already have. Even using a 7th rounder isn't worth the risk. For one thing, we've done well with late round picks recently. Even this year, I wasn't big on Welch, but I loved the other 3. Also, next year all our RBs will be free agents. We won't retain them all. So in 2011 we'll have plenty of room to add a RB. Players like Unga are a dime a dozen. We can draft someone similar next year if we really want to. We could even use that 6th or 7th we didn't give up today. But at that time, the RB will have a legit shot to make the roster.

Oh man this sux.....

I was hoping for anything but Maroney.

I am so tired of Maroney and his dancing bolonga.

Sure seems like a 2011 6th round pick would have been worth it - especially when you consider the recent trading away of 5th round draft picks that never made the roster (Alex Smith, Greg Lewis.)
If you are serious, this is bad logic. The value of Unga isn't related to other trades, whether for Starks or Moss.

If BB thought he was worth a 6th, he would have bid regardless of other trades that did or did not work out.

Supplemental draft prospects are almost always marginal prospects at best. I think Jared Gaither is the only player selected in the supplemental draft who's amounted to anything the past decade.

I know he's been hyped up due to being the best player in the supplemental draft, but he's not even close to being worth a 3rd rounder. He's a big, heavy, slow RB. He best fits as a fullback. You don't spend a 3rd rounder on a FB.

This is true. If you're Belichick, you spend a first. ;)

Quite so. Though to be fair, in Unga's case the high pick talk faded away once his measurables came out.

This is where BB, economizing on the # of coaches and management expenses really blew it. Word up is that he asked BJGE to fax in our 2011 6th round pick for Unga but the fax machine had 'problems'.

I heard he sent a text message via the new i phone ... which had the reception bug in it ... :p

what good is a rookie who runs a 4.63? I'd rather have a veteran like Taylor who runs a 4.64.

Last edited:
Oh man this sux.....

I am so tired of Maroney and his dancing bolonga.

I like when he danced 9 times in the end zone last year

LOL. He reported back to BB that the fax machine was "Doubtful" with an undisclosed circuit board injury. :D

I am surprised we didn't use a 6th on Unga. However, the scouting report states that he runs very upright, get tripped up easily, doesn't have breakaway speed (4.65). He also holds the football away from his body which causes Unga to fumble alot. The most daming quote I read was that he is a tailback that is more likely to be a fullback. He needs to learn to block too!

"Oh man this sux.....

I am so tired of Maroney and his dancing bolonga."

who saw that coming?... insert unthoughtful post here. Can people stop just regurgitating this stuff it gets sooooo tedious trying to read a post on the suplimental draft and unger and his value and have it scattered with... maroney just dances, yeah trade maroney for a 6th and make BJGE the starter e.t.c

I bet Unga gets cut after training camp anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes