PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Guy LaFleur and Mike Bossy RIP

Guy Lafleur: An absolute scoring machine for those great Montreal teams of the 70's.
As a young B's fan, the thought of Lafleur brought dread to me because he simply dominated as did those great Canadian teams of that era so stacked with legends. Nine future Hall of Famers played on the 1976-77 team, considered one of the greatest teams in NHL history.

Got to see Lafleur a number of times live in NYC when he unretired and played for the NY Rangers for a season though he was a shell of his former great self

When that great Canadian era ended, the NY Islanders became the next NHL juggernaut led by Mike Bossy whose goal numbers were incredible.
Hockey missed out when Bossy had to retire at 30 because of injury

Two all time greats

Last edited:
RIP to one of the game's greats and a fabled Bruin tormentor. To be a B's fan in the 70's was to be all too familiar with his skills, he was a nemesis to be respected. Lafleur's tying goal in game 7 of the semi's in '79 with just over a minute to go ripped my heart out.

Both legends killed the B’s back in the day. And too many men…

I had the "pleasure" of listening to Game 7 on the Armed Forces Radio with a couple of other Bs fans in our barracks at NAS Memphis TN where I was attending post-boot camp avionics training...

30 ****ing feet away and Gilbert still couldn't stop it...

**** him and ALL those ****ing Les ***itants of the 1970s.

SO ****ing happy that it's been 29 ****ing years and counting since their last one (which REALLY should've been 1978).

I even wore a NY Rangers teeshirt when we visited Montreal in the summer of 2014.

Last edited:
I had the "pleasure" of listening to Game 7 on the Armed Forces Radio with a couple of other Bs fans in our barracks at NAS Memphis TN where I was attending post-boot camp avionics training...

30 ****ing feet away and Gilbert still couldn't stop it...

**** him and ALL those ****ing Les ***itants of the 1970s.

SO ****ing happy that it's been 29 ****ing years and counting since their last one (which REALLY should've been 1978).

I even wore a NY Rangers teeshirt when we visited Montreal in the summer of 2014.
Last season would have been the easily the worst cup champion in history but the Lightning made sure that didn't happen.

I was at the Last Hurrah at the Garden in 95. Nice to see Grapes there too.

Guy Lafleur: An absolute scoring machine for those great Montreal teams of the 70's.
As a young B's fan, the thought of Lafleur brought dread to me because he simply dominated as did those great Canadian teams of that era so stacked with legends. Nine future Hall of Famers played on the 1976-77 team, considered one of the greatest teams in NHL history.

Got to see Lafleur a number of times live in NYC when he unretired and played for the NY Rangers for a season though he was a shell of his former great self

When that great Canadian era ended, the NY Islanders became the next NHL juggernaut led by Mike Bossy whose goal numbers were incredible.

Two all time greats
That Islander team was as stacked right up there with the Gretzky Oilers.

We were one pick away from Bossy (and John Tonelli the following round) during the 1977 draft... That's why the Islanders were multiple-year champions: they didn't blow their early draft picks outta their asses.

A nice tribute/memorial to Lafleur in Montreal before tonight's B's game, naturally the video tribute included a lot of goals scored against Boston including the '79 too many men soul crusher. I mean this in the respectful way that only a real sports fan can understand: F him...he was awesome and I respected and admired his talent but F him...may he rest in peace

Gotta give 'em credit

Damn straight! Between 1980-84 they won 19 consecutive playoff series a preposterous run of excellence unequaled in pro sports.

That’s cool how they made the boards at the Bell Center honoring LaFleur. Scrubbed clean of all ads.

Nice tribute.

1650850238429.png

Last edited:
A nice tribute/memorial to Lafleur in Montreal before tonight's B's game, naturally the video tribute included a lot of goals scored against Boston including the '79 too many men soul crusher. I mean this in the respectful way that only a real sports fan can understand: F him...he was awesome and I respected and admired his talent but F him...may he rest in peace

And F the franchise for which he played... I hope they go 28 + 28 more seasons between Cups.

We were one pick away from Bossy (and John Tonelli the following round) during the 1977 draft... That's why the Islanders were multiple-year champions: they didn't blow their early draft picks outta their asses.
Damn straight! Between 1980-84 they won 19 consecutive playoff series a preposterous run of excellence unequaled in pro sports.
And they had some severe adversity. Losing the Rangers in '79 was a killer. And when things weren't going well the next year, media panicked.

But the Isles didn't. They got Goring & had it going on. He was the piece they needed.

Kings, like us Patriots, had some very good(and underrated) teams with Butch. And, like us, they're logo & uni's were awesome, and never should have been ruined.
1651000114222.png

RIP to one of the game's greats and a fabled Bruin tormentor. To be a B's fan in the 70's was to be all too familiar with his skills, he was a nemesis to be respected. Lafleur's tying goal in game 7 of the semi's in '79 with just over a minute to go ripped my heart out.
I stopped watching the bruins and hockey after that goal, the refereeing was brutal in that game. LaFleur should never had a chance to score that goal

And they had some severe adversity. Losing the Rangers in '79 was a killer. And when things weren't going well the next year, media panicked.

But the Isles didn't. They got Goring & had it going on. He was the piece they needed.

Kings, like us Patriots, had some very good(and underrated) teams with Butch. And, like us, they're logo & uni's were awesome, and never should have been ruined.
View attachment 42674

Yeah I dug the Kings' purple-themed uniforms too... Their new ones suck in comparison.

Two all time greats
God do I hate Montreal tho…..and it started with those Canadian teams

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back