PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Gil and Gino as announcers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I s'pose it helps living in exile in New Jersey, occassionally listening to Pats games over the radio... But, Sirius NFL radio exposes you to other teams' home announcers in snippets. Hearing those forced, desperate-for-catch-phrase, over-hyping, crap announcers is enough to appreciate Gil.

Great voice, tasteful delivery.

They are really bad. Geno especially just doesn't have anything to add and is confused often.

I like hearing a familiar voice when listening to my team play, but you also have to have quality.

One thing that drives me NUTS... why are they always saying "Patriots on the 35, DRIVING RIGHT TO LEFT" What? It's radio, for godssake. If you were sitting on the opposite side of the field it would be LEFT TO RIGHT. I swear they are saying that just to remind themselves... I just don't understand why they wouldn't have any self awareness of how useless that is (Does no one, i.e. a boss, tell them?)

They are really bad. Geno especially just doesn't have anything to add and is confused often.

I like hearing a familiar voice when listening to my team play, but you also have to have quality.

One thing that drives me NUTS... why are they always saying "Patriots on the 35, DRIVING RIGHT TO LEFT" What? It's radio, for godssake. If you were sitting on the opposite side of the field it would be LEFT TO RIGHT. I swear they are saying that just to remind themselves... I just don't understand why they wouldn't have any self awareness of how useless that is (Does no one, i.e. a boss, tell them?)

They understand that some people watch the games on TV, but use the radio for play-by-play.

Every NFL/NBA/NHL broadcast on the radio I listen to says that not just them. It actually does help me visualize the game when listening to a game on the radio and no TV near me

Gil and Gino are good. But have no doubt about the number of good to great voices waiting for a chance like Pats radio. For example listen to the Fox radio Sunday football show that skips game to game, ala NFL Red Zone, and you'll quickly know that we hardly have the market corned on radio talent - plenty of teams have exciting play call over the air. And the college radio ranks are also covered by many ready voices. I'm not suggesting we replace G and G, instead I'm saying you should feel confident that when they retire we will end up with a dynamite new generation of radio talent - especially if the Pats resist getting pulled down into the 'local' market just so listeners get a name they know.

Gil Santos has such a perfect voice for football.

I think he should go work with NFL Films as the narrator the way that John Facenda did...

This!!

That would be really cool.

It absolutely makes sense, and any good announcing team will specify this. When I listen to a football game on radio I envision the field and plays in my mind's eye (from the press box side). It helps me process what's going on if I know the offense is trying to move "north" or "south." It also jives with any replays I might see later.

The direction the team is going is also important so you know where the players are lining up. If Gil says, "Brady in the shotgun with Woodhead to his right" you can get a better picture in your head of where that alignment is since you know the team is moving from right to left of the announce crew.

Gil and Gino are good. But have no doubt about the number of good to great voices waiting for a chance like Pats radio. For example listen to the Fox radio Sunday football show that skips game to game, ala NFL Red Zone, and you'll quickly know that we hardly have the market corned on radio talent - plenty of teams have exciting play call over the air. And the college radio ranks are also covered by many ready voices. I'm not suggesting we replace G and G, instead I'm saying you should feel confident that when they retire we will end up with a dynamite new generation of radio talent - especially if the Pats resist getting pulled down into the 'local' market just so listeners get a name they know.

I've listened to probably every team's radio pbp combo and over 50 college pbp teams and I can't think of more than one or two who work a local market that come even close to Gil.

gil and gino will be done together.. but gino has lost his fastball gill still ok at times... but zolak was brought in to be a analysist... would love to see a zolak bruschi as co color analysists...

whatever they decide to do if and when that change comes ... i pray no Gresh .. He is by far the worst that has happened to this area .. he just sounds fat and disgusting .. :confused:
He IS Fat and Disgusting.

The direction the team is going is also important so you know where the players are lining up. If Gil says, "Brady in the shotgun with Woodhead to his right" you can get a better picture in your head of where that alignment is since you know the team is moving from right to left of the announce crew.
I read that part in his voice and got a clear image of the formation in mind... I still like them, even if they've lost a little.

Say what? Irrelevant! The direction has no additional information in this scenario unless you're obsessed with towards the Lighthouse or away.

Say what? Irrelevant! The direction has no additional information in this scenario unless you're obsessed with towards the Lighthouse or away.

Some people need a structured narrative in order to visualize stuff. Yes the direction stuff is entirely irrelevant for most of us but I think that is the way some people's brains work.

All I'll say is I've never been to a game at the stadium, listened to Gil and Gino and not heard them make a mistake.

Against the Chiefs they missed that Ihdigibegoigigieigbbo had been back in for a few snaps after leaving the field. They said that Wendell had been taking snaps at Quarterback, etc.

Minor things that would be fine on occasion but they constantly get things wrong. Clearly incomplete passes they say looked good, calling players the wrong name, stuff like that.

Last edited:
Listen to some broadcasts in other cities, and trust me, Gil and Gino are far superior. Plus, I want "fans" of the team doing the game.....not some national, career stepping stone stop guy (gal) with feigned passion. Bleh.

I'd listen to Gil make minor mistakes for another 30 years if I could. You can't beat that voice.

Let's be honest: as old as John Madden was, and as many obvious things he pointed out, SNF is just not the same without him. Nothing against Collinsworth.

I listened to the Giants game last night, Patriots fans are still in good hands with Gil, Geno, and Zo.

Geno may have lost a little off his fastball, but at least he used to have one. Carl Banks and Irv Cross were never good, and aren't getting better.

Yeah, nothing person, but Walter P. Johnson had a helluva fastball too, but at some point before he died he couldn't throw it more than 20 mph. That's about where Gino is at now. It's not good.

And even if he wasn't horrible, which I think he is -- there's still ALOT of much better candidates out there who could do the job a helluva lot better.

Gil is still ok I think. Zo is a good addition.

I'd listen to Gil make minor mistakes for another 30 years if I could. You can't beat that voice.

Let's be honest: as old as John Madden was, and as many obvious things he pointed out, SNF is just not the same without him. Nothing against Collinsworth.

You're right, it's not the same. It's MUCH MUCH BETTER!

Listening to doddering old fools ramble on about nonsense doesn't interest me in the slightest. Collinsworth gives good, crisp, insightful analysis. He's a hundred million times better than anything Madden did in the last 10 years of announcing.

Listen to some broadcasts in other cities, and trust me, Gil and Gino are far superior. Plus, I want "fans" of the team doing the game.....not some national, career stepping stone stop guy (gal) with feigned passion. Bleh.

I agree.

How about Steve Nelson?

Tedy Bruschi?

Zolak as color-man?

Steve Grogan?

Gino is 77 years old!! He retired as a player over 50 years ago!! I'm sorry, but he's just not the best man for the job.

All due respect to him as a former Patriots great, but everyone time comes sooner or later, and his came quite a few years ago now already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye