PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Gil and Gino as announcers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gil Santos is my favorite play by play man in any sport, ever. I'm old enough to remember when he was young, and working at WBZ. He was on top of his game longer than most people in the biz ever had a game. He is admittedly not what he was, but still better than many out there. I'm just still loyal to Geno at this point, but I will be sad to see him go when the time comes.

Last edited:
It's really funny that this topic was made. I moved out to Ohio 12 years ago and catch Pats games on DirectTV but I have always missed the Gil and Gino playcalling.

I finally found out that I could stream the local radio broadcast through my NFL mobile app on my phone so I finally got to hear Gil and Gino again while I was watching the game on T.V. last Sunday. It's like I died and went to Pats heaven. I've been suffering for years with having to put up with national T.V. announcers.

These guys are national treasures. I don't care how senile they get they are still ten times better than the CBS and FOX bozos. Never wish for them to retire. You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Gil's voice is one-of-a-kind, although I do tire of repeatedly hearing "direct snap to Brady" and "shoots it long and deep." Gino is just sounding tired and slow -- in a word, old. Just the same it would be sad to see him go, and I'll bet Gil would quit if there was a move to replace Gino in the booth. If it comes down to a "regime change," I'd like to see both Zolak and Bruschi do color with a new play-by-play guy. Zolak from the sidelines adds a lot, in my opinion.

It's time to give Zolak more air-time and for Gino to hang up the mike.

It does my heart good to hear that great voice of his out here in Colt land on Sirius NFL radio. Sure, he makes some mistakes, but Gil's still great in my book and I hope he has a few more seasons in him.

This thread is blasphemous! How can you even bring this up when we have to endure the Dierdorks and smugazz Joe Bucks of the world? Keep Gil and Gino on as long as possible.

This thread is blasphemous! How can you even bring this up when we have to endure the Dierdorks and smugazz Joe Bucks of the world? Keep Gil and Gino on as long as possible.

I'm guessing the divide in this thread is between people who have traveled outside of New England and have heard other team's radio broadcasters and those who have never really had that experience long-term.

I'd murder for Gil and Gino as the TV announcers, my first choice for a murder victim is Phil Simms:D

:rofl:
Yea they lost a step or two, but if they were in sync with the television, I'd listen to them still everyweek.

I agree about Simms, can't stand his announcing, but Deirdoff is the worse, thank god those two aren't teamed up!

Last edited:
I havent had to listen to a game since the 90's so I have no real bearing on any of this other than the few calls they use on TV for news spots, highlight reels and the like and I would hate for it not to be Gil's voice.

If you have a verizon phone, download the NFL app. You can listen (for free) to any team's broadcast. Bounce around some Sunday afternoon from game to game and you will have a new appreciation for Gil and Gino.

Yes, both are slipping, and in GC's case, a lot! However, there are a few necessaries for football announcers in my book in Gil covers them.

1. The voice. Football should be called by a deep, heavy voice.

2. None of this "we" crap. I had the Vikings broadcast on my phone the other day and all I heard was "we" this and "we" that. Yes, the team pays you but that is where your affiliation ends.

3.Don't go too fast. There is a lot to describe but do not over do it and try to get it all. Set the scene, call the action. Use the time between plays to get in what you can. Gil is a master at this. He typically calls the formation as the team breaks the huddle, lets you know how many receivers/backs there are and where they are. He acknowledges the motion (if any) and usually the look of the defense. After the snap he calls the play (here is where the action gets a little ahead of him) and then after the play, he, Gino, and Zo go over why some did/not work. Great pacing for a football game.

4. Voice inflection is good. Sounding like you are having an orgasm after any good play for your team, is bad.

5. Lastly, no whining about calls made/not made.

Gil and Gino hit all of these criteria for the most part. Few other local play by play teams do.

I brought this subject up a uear ago and was crucified fo it here! I do agree that Gil sets up the play very well! A spotter would help him! This will be Gino's last year and I agree that Zo has been brought along to replace him. How many times does Zo have to correct either of them.

What about Sean McDonough as a Play by Play replacement for Gil? I know he has those college games he broadcasts for TV on Saturdays.

I think they are working Zolak in as Geno's replacement. Zo finally seems to be maturing at color commentary least when seperated from Gresh and the other frat boys at 98.5 and PFW... Gil's pipes are still worth the occasional gaffs. It's obvious some of you have listened to all too few alternate broadcasts, including on local television let alone radio. Those are really scary bad... Even the two clowns who do our preseason games are mindnumbing...

My middle name is "nostalgia" and last name is "old school", with that being said am for endebted to Gil and Gino who brought the game to us during the lean years... used to work on Sunday's in the 80's and 90's and they were the men.

With that being said it may be time to move on, but I am not sold on Zo.. not sure who the other alternatives might be.. Bruschi?? Troy??

I'm guessing the divide in this thread is between people who have traveled outside of New England and have heard other team's radio broadcasters and those who have never really had that experience long-term.

Interesting...and you may be right.
When I started the thread, I thought the divide would be between those who listen to the games on the radio alot and those who do not. I understand there are worse announcers out there, but when you listen to Gil and Gino for long stretches, as I have for the last couple of years, and you strip away the history or the nostalgia or whatever you want to call it, and you look at it objectively, they are really not that great...Gino especially.

I think Gil still does a pretty good job. But the time has come for Gino, God bless 'im, to hang up his headphones. I don't think he adds much of anything to the broadcast at this point.

BLASPHEMY!

I love Gil and Gino!

Oh my, this 98.5 Sports Hub crowd has gotten out of control! Scott drunken Zolak. Wonderful (eye roll) Heck, lets add Ron Burton for some true insight....maybe that insufferable Massarotti for his football acumen and gentle take on things (double eye roll).

Last edited:
Gil Santos has such a perfect voice for football.

I think he should go work with NFL Films as the narrator the way that John Facenda did when he moved from the CBS news desk at WCAU in Philadelphia in the 1960's- early 70s to becoming the voice of NFL Films after he met big Ed Sabol in a bar.

If you do not know Facenda, you definitely know his voice.

I brought this subject up a uear ago and was crucified fo it here! I do agree that Gil sets up the play very well! A spotter would help him! This will be Gino's last year and I agree that Zo has been brought along to replace him. How many times does Zo have to correct either of them.

What about Sean McDonough as a Play by Play replacement for Gil? I know he has those college games he broadcasts for TV on Saturdays.

Will McDonough's son working for the Patriots?????

Ove Bill Parcells' dead body!

There is a thread about Dan Dierdorf and it made me think about Gil and Gino as the Pats announcers. I have been listening to them, off and on, throughout the years, and these last couple of years I have been traveling more for work and therefore have been "forced" to listen to them more in order to catch the Pats. While I respect what they have done in the past, I think its time for them to hang it up. Gil flubs alot of calls, and if he gets around to identifying the Pats receiver who caught the ball before the play is over it's a miracle. Gino reminds me now of John Pierson who used to call the Bruins games ages ago...he states only the obvious and he is forever getting himself into the middle of sentences with no clear way out. Zolak puts them both to shame with his game observations. It may be borderline heresy but I think it's time for new announcers.
I would be interested in hearing what others think.
They maybe slipping but they still call a better game than just about any TV crew. They're low key, they understand you don't incessantly need to talk like Chuckie or Dumbdorff

It's a sad commentary, and I hate to think it's probably true, but methinks in a few years we will have a tandem of Gary Fooocking Tanguay and Zolak in the booth. Tanguay is ridiculously insufferable with his false bravado whenever he argues a point. He's always wrong, and his interview subjects CONSISTENTLY have to correct...example..."So, Mr. Kraft, tell us what it was like being a Patriots fan growing up in Dover." Kraft: "I grew up in Brookline, Gary" Tanguay: "Tom, you played for Joe Paterno...are his assistants really pedos?" Brady: "Uh, Gary, I went to Michigan".....

Zolak will be good, and he adds to the broadcast. Gil has, bar none, one of the best if not THE BEST set of pipes in NFL broadcast history, but he always flubs up the calls. "Pass caught by Welker - no, Gronkowski". Gino has clearly lost four or five steps as well.

Just SAY NO TO TANGUAY :D

If ANYONE wants to hear what announcing SHOULD be like - even if you're not a fan of footy, check out an Champions League broadcastwith Martin Tyler....or ESPN's EPL coverage with Ian Darke & Steve McManaman...Darke and Tyler are absolute class....

Last edited:
My prior witty remark in this thread was unceremoniously deleted. :cool:

whatever they decide to do if and when that change comes ... i pray no Gresh .. He is by far the worst that has happened to this area .. he just sounds fat and disgusting .. :confused:

Gil and Geno are like Johnny Most in that they love their team and they love the game. Actually there'll never be anyone like Johnny Most probably but G/G are as close as anyone could come. Zo has no passion. It won't be the same :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes