Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Fantasy WR question.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by PlainOldEd, Sep 5, 2010.

1. PlainOldEd

PlainOldEd Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

OK, I'll probably get crushed for asking this here, but I have to choose between keeping Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. What would you do? (besides 'not play fantasy football');)
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. BritPat

BritPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +126 / 2 / -2

#54 Jersey

Fitzgerald, and it's not close. Best WR in the league.
  3. patriotscpfc

patriotscpfc Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

With Derek Anderson at QB?

Andre Johnson is the best WR in the NFL and Calvin Johnson isn't far behind.

I go Fitz, just. Close decision but you go with the hot WR.
  4. PlainOldEd

PlainOldEd Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I was leaning toward Fitzgerald, but the loss of Boldin and Derek Anderson @ QB spooked me. I guess you're right 2009: 18 TD > 5 TD :rolleyes:
  5. PlainOldEd

PlainOldEd Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I also have Adrian Peterson. This is a 2 keeper league, he's a lock but it leaves me with a tough decision @ WR. I'll go Fitzgerald.

Maybe Megatron will drop to me:D
  6. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

Calvin easily here is why:
    +Same QB
    +Better QB
    +Improved surrounding talent

Fitz why not:
    -Different QB
    -Downgrade at QB
    -Downgrade surrounding talent
    -Coming off and injury

Don't get me wrong Fitz should be a top five receiver but I don't see the upside
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  7. dliverey

dliverey Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I had the same decision in my keeper league and I went with Calvin Johnson(over Fitzy), brees and Charles.

The reason is I have more faith in Stafford than in Anderson. Detroit has a better offensive cast. Their Defense is not as good, imo, so they will be forced to pass more.
  8. The 12th Man

The 12th Man Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Exactly. I'd take Calvin Johnson without hessitating. Not to mention Detroit has Jarvid Best at RB who is explosive and will force defenses to focus more on run game.
  9. Galjen89

Galjen89 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Roll with Fitz, and pray Max Hall starts very soon. Whisenhunt loves this guy. He was a chucker at BYU, and Whis must see some Kurt Warner in him. Whis claims to want to run the ball more, but deep down he knows what got him the superbowl berth, and it wasn't the running game. Ask Edgerrin James.
  10. 37Harrison

37Harrison Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -2

#37 Jersey

That's a tough choice however, I think the Cards will be moving more towards a running game this year which will take more receptions away from Fitz. Also, teams will be able to double him more with the departure of Boldin and Derek Anderson is a friggin stiff.

Calvin Johnson on the other hand had a down year last year. Stafford should be improved and they picked up Jahvid Best at RB which should improve their running game. Johnson is playing in the NFC North which plays the AFC East and AFC North this year which are better defenses than what the Cardinals are playing this year.

Again, tough call but I don't think that you will go wrong with either choice in terms of how their seasons will compare.
  11. GoodWill

GoodWill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I got into an argument about Larry Fitzgerald with someone. I drafted him "too early" and got a stern talking to about how he has no quarterback that will throw him the ball. I completely dismiss that notion - Larry Fitzgerald is a game changer. One of the best WR in the game who can make things happen independant of his QB situation.

Will his numbers suffer a little bit now that Kurt Warner is gone? Yea probably, but I can still see him gettin 1000+ yards and 8+ TD grabs. Fitzgerald also plays in a weaker division and in my opinion has an easier schedule than the Lions do which could factor into his numbers.

Really though, I would be happy with either of those WR. The posters above who argued for Calvin Johnson aren't necessarily wrong. I think they will both have good years and in my opinion it comes down to personal preference as Matthew Stafford hasn't (yet) shown the ability to light the world on fire as a QB either.

I would take Larry Fitzgerald, but if Calvin Johnson fell in my lap instead I wouldn't be cursing my rotten luck either :)
  12. PlainOldEd

PlainOldEd Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I ended up keeping Calvin Johnson, and was able to get Welker to compliment him.
  13. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Smart man. I'd take his advice, OP.
  14. goldenaleus

goldenaleus Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Agree with this explanation.