PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Eagles release Chip Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody wants to pick the groceries, but in the salary cap era, price matters, and Chip never figured that out.

You can't trade a mediocre QB making next to nothing for a mediocre QB making $13M while also signing DeMarco Murray for twice as much as anyone else was offering and giving ridiculous contracts out to middling talents like Byron Maxwell.

It's not college, where you collect the most talent and win before the game starts. Chip would have been fine if he stayed coaching, but he took on more than he could handle, and way more than he could even begin to understand. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a second chance later like Pete Carroll, paired with a proper GM.

Good post.
I have no issue with a guy doing it his way. If you're gonna fail then don't fail with the regret of *I wanted to do X but 'they' said I shouldn't*. Do it how you think you should do it and let the chips fall where they may.
But your point is a good one. The NFL is so much about cap dollar per unit of production. Sure, if D Murray would have come in and lit up the running game it would have masked the seemingly too high a cost. But it was still a bad move at that cost IMHO.
The QB thing was shocking to me for a team that was in 'win now' mode. Foles was comparatively cheap and they had hit 10 wins last year. To change at QB under those conditions better be for a known commodity. How often is getting a new, underperforming, sometimes injured QB going to equal a known commodity of production as compared to the previous year's 10 wins?? Bottom line, Bradford was coming to the Eagles as someone who could QB them to an unknown rate of success. Awful risky considering...

With that said I think it was not a great idea for Philly to fire Chip now. The team gave him carte blanche to do what he wanted/thought best. This past offseason he made some serious changes. Letting these marked changes take affect required another year IMHO. As shocking as it may sound it's distinctly possible the Eagles were on the cusp of taking that step upward. Now the chances of taking that step upward have most likely lessened with a change at HC (unless Philly has an established winning coach waiting in the wings, and Chip needed to be swept out of the way to make way for that new coach).

You might not like Robert Kraft because of how this offseason played out but you can't possibly tell me you would rather have Jeff Lurie, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones or Mara/Tisch as an owner instead. Those teams suck because their owners suck. Organizational failure starts at the top and there is no top higher than the owners. **** the self absorbed NFC East.

He went 26-21 and missed the playoffs 2 years in a row. Remember when Pete Carroll went 27-21 for some club, made the playoffs twice and was fired and replaced by some guy with a 36-44 career record with 1 playoff appearence that the club gave up a high 1st rd pick for and subsequently started his tenure 5-13?

Just sayin', I've witnessed crazier things.

BB's record in Cleveland wasn't his fault and it shows. Watch the documentaries.

Some coaches shouldn't be shopping for their own groceries unless they enjoy eating dog food every night.

You might not like Robert Kraft because of how this offseason played out but you can't possibly tell me you would rather have Jeff Lurie, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones or Mara/Tisch as an owner instead. Those teams suck because their owners suck. Organizational failure starts at the top and there is no top higher than the owners. **** the self absorbed NFC East.

What did Kraft do to show he is a better owner than e.g. Mara ? Seriously.

After hiring BB there was never a point where we didnt have sustained success over 2-3 years. He never even got into a situation that required him doing anything because BB has it all running on autopilot and Kraft can focus on his charities.

I am not saying he is a bad owner but that ever since BB he had no chance of doing anything destructive.

If we really lose McD this offseason then bring in Chip Kelly here as a consultant / OC.

Would be amazing to watch what BB and Kelly can do together.

I know that a lot of folks on this board are down on Kraft for chumming up Goodell and the NFL in general. But I think that we are really lucky to to have an owner like Kraft. Unlike some owners who may have fired Belichick after spygate, he signed him to a longer contract. Unlike some owners, he empowers and trusts his head coach. This is a good reminder that BB would not not be who he is without the backing of Kraft.

If we really lose McD this offseason then bring in Chip Kelly here as a consultant / OC.

Would be amazing to watch what BB and Kelly can do together.

It would be great to see and a proven offensive mind like Kelly would be a fine replacement, but I'm not sure what the incentive would be for him?

He'll certainly get HC offers from other teams, and about 3-4x the salary that comes with it.

It would be great to see and a proven offensive mind like Kelly would be a fine replacement, but I'm not sure what the incentive would be for him?

He'll certainly get HC offers from other teams, and about 3-4x the salary that comes with it.

No idea either if there is any realistic scenario where he would do it.

I guess the biggest incentive would be to work extensively with BB and Brady for 1-2 years. Kelly is young enough to still have multiple decades in the NFL, but how often do you get the chance to work with GOATs.

I know that a lot of folks on this board are down on Kraft for chumming up Goodell and the NFL in general. But I think that we are really lucky to to have an owner like Kraft. Unlike some owners who may have fired Belichick after spygate, he signed him to a longer contract. Unlike some owners, he empowers and trusts his head coach. This is a good reminder that BB would not not be who he is without the backing of Kraft.

No owner would have fired BB after Spygate because a) there was nothing to fire him over and b) he was way too successful to lose his job. BB never needed any backing from Kraft because he was successful in almost every season here. The only thing you can credit Kraft with is signing BB in the first place everything afterwards was all BB.

What did Kraft do to show he is a better owner than e.g. Mara ? Seriously.

After hiring BB there was never a point where we didnt have sustained success over 2-3 years. He never even got into a situation that required him doing anything because BB has it all running on autopilot and Kraft can focus on his charities.

I am not saying he is a bad owner but that ever since BB he had no chance of doing anything destructive.
It's easy to say "Kraft doesn't do anything. BB does it all". But that's a much harder thing to do. Just look at other owners in the league that think that they are great football minds because they own the team, and wants to control football stuff. Even Kraft have done that. Then he learnt that no, he isn't smarter than the football guys that he hired. So he lets them take care of it all. He could have easily steped in and said that "there is no way in hell that Brady will continue to start after the QB we've given a huge contract too comes back". But he didn't.

It's easy to say "Kraft doesn't do anything. BB does it all". But that's a much harder thing to do. Just look at other owners in the league that think that they are great football minds because they own the team, and wants to control football stuff. Even Kraft have done that. Then he learnt that no, he isn't smarter than the football guys that he hired. So he lets them take care of it all. He could have easily steped in and said that "there is no way in hell that Brady will continue to start after the QB we've given a huge contract too comes back". But he didn't.

As long as there is success there will not be much reason for an owner to step in to take control over anything. So excuse me for not giving Kraft credit for that because since 2001 he never was in a situation that required him to step in.

The Brady/Bledsoe decision in 2001 tells me more about BB than about Kraft but I agree that another owner might have intervened there. But that was almost 14 years ago.

Again, I am not saying that Kraft is a bad owner but I don't see any reason to give him a lot of credit beyond hiring BB 15 years ago. The last 10 years he was able to comfortably sit and see the value of his team grow significantly.

The meeting with Lurie must've gotten personal.
You know how it is when a couple of New Englanders get into it and have a disagreement. It was meltdown time in Phillly. Between the talk radio, the mass exodus Saturday night in the second half and players trashing him, it was over.
One player , Emmanuel Acho tweeted, " power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" less than an hour after the firing. Murray had gone to the owner to complain about playing time and combine that with trading away the foundations of the franchise and Chip was a dead man walking.........and the Riley Cooper incident still lingers among many......

You know how it is when a couple of New Englanders get into it and have a disagreement. It was meltdown time in Phillly. Between the talk radio, the mass exodus Saturday night in the second half and players trashing him, it was over.
One player , Emmanuel Acho tweeted, " power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" less than an hour after the firing. Murray had gone to the owner to complain about playing time and combine that with trading away the foundations of the franchise and Chip was a dead man walking.........and the Riley Cooper incident still lingers among many......

I actually thought Chip was smart in getting rid of Jackson and McCoy. Those were bad contracts. And after seeing McCoy this year in Buffalo, I don't think he has that much left in the tank.

Problem was the Bradford, Maxwell, and Murray deals. He got guys that didn't fit his system, and instead of playing to his players strenghts, he died with his way.

If you think about it, there is a lot of similarities between him and Pitino. Pitino put all his cards in, with the hope of getting Tim Duncan in the lottery, while Chip was hoping to get Mariota in the draft. Only difference is, I see Chip getting his guy, just in Tennessee.

I like Kelly, he's different in his approach to games and he's genuinely original and creative.

He's absolutely screwed the Eagles up though with some idiotic moves which have no doubt been detailed already in the thread. However it's his first gig as HC and knowing how patient Jeff Lurie has been previously, then something doesn't quite stack up.

Even then, Kelly will be back and I have no doubts he'll turn up in NE soon on some kind of 'consultancy' ticket. BB bats for his guys and should McKid leave after this year, he'd be a great OC for us and it would help him rebuild his reputation in the league - as McKid has done.

The season has been a disaster for the Eagles, but it's a bit of a strange move all the same.

For a guy like Kelly never understood the allure of the NFL vs. a good Div. 1 college program, why not go to a place where you will be treated like some type of god, given free housing and a great salary with more time off.. and have complete control over personnel...

As long as there is success there will not be much reason for an owner to step in to take control over anything. So excuse me for not giving Kraft credit for that because since 2001 he never was in a situation that required him to step in.

The Brady/Bledsoe decision in 2001 tells me more about BB than about Kraft but I agree that another owner might have intervened there. But that was almost 14 years ago.

Again, I am not saying that Kraft is a bad owner but I don't see any reason to give him a lot of credit beyond hiring BB 15 years ago. The last 10 years he was able to comfortably sit and see the value of his team grow significantly.
It's not like BB fell into Krafts lap. Kraft hade to make a real effort to get him here.

I can see your points. Since then he has mostly left everything up to BB, and that seems easy. But I'm of the opinion that if something seems easy, but most fail at it. Then it isn't easy. Sure, it was 14 years ago that he gave the power to BB. But it's still the decision that has made this franchise so successful, and what continues to make it successful. I don't devalue decisions that are still having huge effects, just because it was a long time ago that it was made.

I don't know if I would rank him as the best owner in the league. But he's definitely up there as one of the best owners right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents