PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chris Grier Rumored To Be New GM in Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not defending Grier, really, but no one has mentioned R Edwards. You can't say that wasn't a good pick despite the unfortunate end.

Claiming Glenn was a bad pick is pretty weak, too. That kind of statement is why I never get involved in draft talk. Saying you, or anyone, knew Glenn would flame out after a few years and that Moulds (or whoever) would've been an obviously better pick is such total garbage. If anyone knew who would be 10 year stars in the league every single one of them would go in the top 10.

Chris Canty

At Smithfield where you could get up close & personal I stood next to both 5'11" Ty Law who was seriously ripped and Canty whom I dwarfed at my 5'9"+ and 185. He had beanpole legs. I was more heavily muscled. How ANYONE could pick him, especially high, is a total mystery.

Son of Sam

Son of Bobby Grier

I was never a fan of Grier, but in the Brady 6 documentary, the Michigan staff did mention that Bobby Grier was the only team exec, on behalf of the Pats, to call to inquire about Brady. I remember thinking back then that was weird, since he was not part of BB's staff. Can someone else confirm/dispute this???

Just watched it the other day.

You are 100% correct. Bobby Grier was the ONLY exec that inquired about Brady at Michigan per the coach at Michigan at that time.

Parcell disciple Mike Tannenbaum would be Griers boss if this happens.

Just watched it the other day.

You are 100% correct. Bobby Grier was the ONLY exec that inquired about Brady at Michigan per the coach at Michigan at that time.

Good God, man: He was on the way out and was just being sent on an Errand.

To attribute Credit to Grier for Brady is preposterous.

Good God, man: He was on the way out and was just being sent on an Errand.

To attribute Credit to Grier for Brady is preposterous.

Good god, reach much???

Was only confirming the question the OP had.

Grier was still in charge of personnel, so it makes sense.

Hope neither of our coordinators go to that cesspool.

Not defending Grier, really, but no one has mentioned R Edwards. You can't say that wasn't a good pick despite the unfortunate end.

Claiming Glenn was a bad pick is pretty weak, too. That kind of statement is why I never get involved in draft talk. Saying you, or anyone, knew Glenn would flame out after a few years and that Moulds (or whoever) would've been an obviously better pick is such total garbage. If anyone knew who would be 10 year stars in the league every single one of them would go in the top 10.

Glenn was an alcoholic and emotionally unstable. You don't do that amount of research of a number 7th overall?

Drafting isn't finding a talented player with a 7th overall pick, a grade schooler with a magazine could do that.

It's evaluating the whole draft and getting the most value. If you wanted a receiver and more, that was the draft to trade out of. I think that's why Parcells was pissed.

Would you be happy if Belichick passed on the opportunity to trade the pick, with 5-10 receivers who ended up with better careers available, for someone so immature and messed up BB was forced to deactivate him in a championship season? Of course you wouldn't.

Use the same standard.

Grier overruled someone who had done the research.

I

W
I remember tuning into an XFL game during their one misbegotten season and thinking "Boy there are a lot of ex-Patriots on the field." All Grier draft picks, of course.

Ha ha. I had the same experience, though i didn't watch much. Heard "Tony Simmons left." and thought I'd watch. It was third and ten and Simmons runs a perfect 9 yard square out and runs out of bounds untouched. Same old Tony!

Grier went behind Parcells' back

That to me, more than even his suckitude in drafting, is the death knell of Grier as a GM - in both the Parcells and Carroll regimes he went around people to either undermine or flat out usurp the rest of the staff's authority. Nothing kills a team's abilities faster than a split leadership team. You either move toward common goals...or regress.

We know from history which option happened to the Pats with Grier as GM.

Wow.

I am shocked that there are some who think Notorious BIG was decent.

He was awful on every level.

Lets start with 1996. Tuna called the shots. Armey set up the draft board. Grier was the pro/contracts guy.

Bob kicked out Tuna because he was deviating from the draft board. in 1996 the board was already set ( keep in mind BB was on board as assistant HC and worked out players as well). We can debate if Sherry Glenn was a good pick or not. Probably was but Milloy (who BB worked out) Heath Irwin were already set as "value picks"

I personally hold him accountable for undercutting Pom Pom Petey. That was unacceptable. Krafty was still jock-sniffing so he didn't help.

I also hold him accountable for letting C-Mart go. Yes- Tuna gave him a poison pill but they should have gotten that deal done way before and not waste the money on Max Lane and Todd Rucci extension. Christ.

His FA acquisitions were also mostly bad. Zefross Moss? Terry Allen? They squeezed a year out of Henry Thomas. Thats it.

Robert Edwards was a good pick. His injury was unfortunate. T-Buck was ok- but as CB was a disaster.

According to BB, they liked Brady and he and Pioli sent **** Rehbein to work him out. BIG may/may not have been part of the process but sorry.......I will not give BIG credit for finding TB12. His track record does not support it.

In 2000 BB kept him around to help in the transition. After the draft he was sent packing.

You don't get credit for finding someone with talent with a #7 pick. Did you need a #7 to get a good receiver that year= no.

Was the receiver you picked a sure thing emotionally and character wise based on your research? I've read otherwise.

Take a shot on an emotionally unstable alcoholic with a 7th round pick? Sure,we probably did with Dennard.

ross is still the owner so none of this matters.

and they still have tannehill as the QB. haha

Well, Kraft and Parcells had to come to a head, then Kraft was a bit silly holding the stop watch for Tebucky and stuff.

I hope you're just being satirical here, because Kraft was never at a combine timing Tebucky, that was a tongue in cheek bit from a Shaugnessy article. But it got repeated enough that people still believe it to this day.

The "meddlesome owner" narrative was a 100% creation of the ****ing Boston media.

We've gone all that time picking over the Bobby Grier era and we still haven't mentioned him giving Drew's buddies in the OL hefty contracts for being slightly above average at best. That's almost as bad as his drafting record.

Glenn was an alcoholic and emotionally unstable. You don't do that amount of research of a number 7th overall?

So, you make it known to future employer's that you're an alcoholic? Please, man. This is crap. You can't know everything about a guy just because you did some evaluation. They're evaluating hundreds of guys, and even the guys who are in play at 7, there's still 10-20 to look at. You can only get so much and if the agent is doing a good job the warts will be hidden.

Glenn had ~600 rec, 9,000yds in his career. four 1,000 yd seasons. He had a career worthy of a 1st round pick even even with your overplayed alcoholism and instability claims.

You want emotionally unstable? How about TO? He's going to Canton.

I hope you're just being satirical here, because Kraft was never at a combine timing Tebucky, that was a tongue in cheek bit from a Shaugnessy article. But it got repeated enough that people still believe it to this day.

There was a picture of him at a workout of Jones and it was reported by credible journalists that he accompanied Grier and Carroll on a scouting trip to Syracuse. Whether Bozo, who I stopped reading decades ago, exaggerated the story to the point he was timig him with a watch, I don't know.

All I know is, I saw a picture. Sure, I'll never be able to find that, but i did find a 1999 interview with Pete Carroll where he is quoted about Kraft going on a scouting trip involving Jones.

Carroll disputed stories that owner Robert Kraft had played a significant role in scouting and drafting Jones, who came to the Pats with the No. 22 pick, four spots after the club had landed tailback Robert Edwards of Georgia.

"He just jumped on the plane that day, to tell you the truth," the coach said of Kraft and his presence at Jones's workout session. "I know a lot was made of that, but it was really just that he was intrigued by the whole idea. He liked it and thought (drafting Jones in the first round) was a good risk."

Pats throw Jones into fray

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore