PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chris Grier Rumored To Be New GM in Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is his nickname "Incompetent"? A lot of the players we won Super Bowl 36, 38 and 39 with were partially drafted by him.

Why is his nickname "Incompetent"? A lot of the players we won Super Bowl 36, 38 and 39 with were partially drafted by him.

There's a lot of grey area pre-1996 in terms of who was 'in charge' of the draft. If you believe Kevin Mannix, for instance, 1995 was mostly Grier's draft, but the rift didn't happen until '96 over Glenn instead of Cedric Jones (the revisionist history was Tony Brackens).

So it's not a slam dunk that you can just attribute McGinest (94) or Law and Ted Johnson (95) or Milloy and Bruschi.

In fact the only ones you can for sure attribute to him are Faulk and Damien Woody, imo.

Edit: Actually I just looked at his wikipedia and Grier wasn't even director of player personnel until 1995 so he doesn't get credit for McGinest either.

Wonder if dad will give him the family stopwatch ............:rolleyes:

There's a lot of grey area pre-1996 in terms of who was 'in charge' of the draft. If you believe Kevin Mannix, for instance, 1995 was mostly Grier's draft, but the rift didn't happen until '96 over Glenn instead of Cedric Jones (the revisionist history was Tony Brackens).

So it's not a slam dunk that you can just attribute McGinest (94) or Law and Ted Johnson (95) or Milloy and Bruschi.

In fact the only ones you can for sure attribute to him are Faulk and Damien Woody, imo.

Edit: Actually I just looked at his wikipedia and Grier wasn't even director of player personnel until 1995 so he doesn't get credit for McGinest either.

So do we attribute all bad to him while also not giving him any credit for positives? That would be the PatsFans.com tradition.

He was also supposedly instrumental in drafting Brady.

12 guys he has a part in drafting 1995-1999 were on those teams. 10 of them played in one of the Super Bowls. And 4 were on all 3 rosters. And only 14 players from his last roster 1999 were on the 2001 roster. 16 if you include suspended Glenn and Katzenmoyer. 1995 was the year he was put in front office position of Player Personel

Ty Law,Ted Johnson

Mill0y,Bruschi, Sullivan,Glenn*

Brandon Mitchell

Tebucky Jones, Rod Rutledge

Woody,Faulk,Katzenmoyer*

While I can't say this as fact it does appear the Phins organization as a whole has hit dysfunctional. Wouldn't surprise me if tomorrow they announced they rehired Dennis Hickey citing his lengthy experience as the determining factor....

So do we attribute all bad to him while also not giving him any credit for positives? That would be the PatsFans.com tradition.

He was also supposedly instrumental in drafting Brady.

I was firmly in Grier's camp during the stuff with Parcells. I thought bringing in Belichick and ushering out Carroll/Grier was a huge mistake. So I'm not just a person who always hated the guy or whatever.

I think it's tough for an outsider to gauge what he did that was good and easier to isolate the bad he did. His 97 and 98 drafts were uniquely atrocious. How personnel departments actually operate and who is responsible for the most work is pretty tough for me, as a fan, to truly know.

But I will say that, overall, you can't say a 'lot' of the players he was responsible or partially responsible for drafting were part of the SB 36, 38 and 39 crews. Some key ones, doubtless, but not a lot.

We had extra high draft picks for Parcells and Curtis Martin. If you just read a draft magazine and threw darts, you could have done better than Grier.

I remember buying one of those magazines and wondering why he drafted Chris Canty when Sam Madison [4-time Pro Bowler & 2-time First-Team All-Pro] was available at the same position.

I wouldn't be a competent GM, but based on reading a magazine,I would have been better than him.

12 guys he has a part in drafting 1995-1999 were on those teams. 10 of them played in one of the Super Bowls. And 4 were on all 3 rosters. And only 14 players from his last roster 1999 were on the 2001 roster. 16 if you include suspended Glenn and Katzenmoyer. 1995 was the year he was put in front office position of Player Personel

Ty Law,Ted Johnson

Mill0y,Bruschi, Sullivan,Glenn*

Brandon Mitchell

Tebucky Jones, Rod Rutledge

Woody,Faulk,Katzenmoyer*

Besides Glenn, his role in making the picks before 97 was saying, "good pick, Mr. Parcells."

When was the "pick the groceries speech?" It was after Parcells was overruled on Glenn, because that was the first pick he was overruled on,and he was right.

Parcells was given final say in drafting by Orthwein. He was overruled on Glenn, then Grier took over. 97 through 99 was Grier, with extra high picks for Parcells and Curtis Martin.

Besides Glenn, his role in making the picks before 97 was saying, "good pick, Mr. Parcells."

When was the "pick the groceries speech?" It was after Parcells was overruled on Glenn, because that was the first pick he was overruled on,and he was right.

Parcells was given final say in drafting by Orthwein. He was overruled on Glenn, then Grier took over. 97 through 99 was Grier, with extra high picks for Parcells and Curtis Martin.

I agree, was just pointing out the years he was at least part of the discussion. He became Player Personel director in 1995.

Grier sucked while he was here. For those of you who where not following the team at that time, it may not seem like he did, but he did.

There's no gray area that says Grier had final say over any pick before Glenn. Everyone but Glenn from that draft and every draft before was Parcells and Armey

I was never a fan of Grier, but in the Brady 6 documentary, the Michigan staff did mention that Bobby Grier was the only team exec, on behalf of the Pats, to call to inquire about Brady. I remember thinking back then that was weird, since he was not part of BB's staff. Can someone else confirm/dispute this???

Why fire a game the night before the final game lol? May as well let him finish the season in the press box.

I was never a fan of Grier, but in the Brady 6 documentary, the Michigan staff did mention that Bobby Grier was the only team exec, on behalf of the Pats, to call to inquire about Brady. I remember thinking back then that was weird, since he was not part of BB's staff. Can someone else confirm/dispute this???

For the 2000 Draft he was still technically the Vice President of Player Personel. And Pioli was the Asst Director but Grier was fired after the draft.

I've always said you need three things to be great to be a real contender:

1. QB
2. GM/Scouting
3. Coach

The Dolphins are 0/3 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand