PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Braylon Edwards to the Jets for 2 players, third (cond. second), fifth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Braylon Edwards to the Jets for 2 players, third, fifth

jets fans loved chansi....

if braylon doesnt pick up the game plan, this move would be disastorous for the jets....

Could be even if he does. Schefter is now reporting that the third is conditional to a second if he achieves a fairly high number of receptions. Though as Florio noted is cannot condition into a fourth if he drops a lot of passes.

I guess that I didn't understand that we gave up a 3rd and 5th because we had excess 2010 draft picks. I thought that the trade was about value.

The jets think that Edwards is a serious upgrade from the productive receiver that seems to be your binky. I agree.

Of course, the bottom line is that I would prefer that the trade not have been made since thae jets are now a stronger team. And, yes, it may take Edwards awhile to be in sych with Sanchez, but the jets (as the patriots) are trying to build up the team for the playoffs.

Are they? The track record for receivers joining teams at this point in the season isn't good, and I don't see Braylon Edwards, a notoriously lazy player, being the type to buck that trend.

Not scarred one bit! Edwards isnt getting any better but our D is!

In regards to Edwards's legal troubles at worst he will most likely reach a settlement. he punched the guy, its not like he broke something like his jaw *cough*tomcable*cough*

The Jets wouldn't add him if he was at risk of being suspended for lengthy amount of time, lets say at worst he was suspended for 2 weeks, it would take him that long to move to NY and know the playbook anyway.

First of all, this is a criminal matter so by settlement you mean "plea bargain"--which still usually means a conviction--maybe reduced from assault to disorderly conduct. Of course, the DA could try to put the squeeze on him and say that any offer is only good for limited time.

Second, he wouldn't be suspended until there's an actual conviction and he hasn't even been charged with anything yet.

Third, if he were charged and pleaded not guilty, I'm sure his trial would not occur until after the 2009 season is over--his lawyer could make sure it happened that way.

Fourth, a conviction after season's over and then a suspension next year would just give the Jets a reason to make a lower contract offer.

Trying to think of a trade to compare this to, and the closest that I can come up with are the trades that the Chargers made mid-year over the years to try to bolster their WR corps, most notably chris chambers a couple of years ago. I see this one playing out somewhat similarly- it will absolutely help the Jets and I buy that Braylon is much better than Stuckey. I'm just not sure that it will give them what all the fans and pundits seem to think it will- much like the Chambers trade to san diego. WRs can rarely step in and be productive from day one with a new quarterback and a new offense. There are certainly guys that can, but those are the smart, savvy, hard-working types, aka the opposite of Braylon Edwards.

Actually the Chris Chambers trade didn't work out all that well for the Chargers. The guy was traded after game 6 and in his last 10 games with the Chargers he had 554 yards and 4 TDs. That season he only had two games where he had more than 71 yards (90 and 93 respectively). Not horrible numbers, but not great numbers either. Last year he was held to 462 yards and 5 TDs in 14 games. If Edwards produces like Chambers did in San Deigo, I am not worried at all. Jets fans won't be happy though.

Actually the Chris Chambers trade didn't work out all that well for the Chargers. The guy was traded after game 6 and in his last 10 games with the Chargers he had 554 yards and 4 TDs. That season he only had two games where he had more than 71 yards (90 and 93 respectively). Not horrible numbers, but not great numbers either. Last year he was held to 462 yards and 5 TDs in 14 games. If Edwards produces like Chambers did in San Deigo, I am not worried at all. Jets fans won't be happy though.

I remember the thread when Chambers was traded. Good times..... good times.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/64162-miamis-chambers-chargers.html

Wow, great move by the Jets. To be honest, with their schedule and talent, they look like a lock to win the division :(

Wow, great move by the Jets. To be honest, with their schedule and talent, they look like a lock to win the division :(

Dude, it's week 5. How about we let the teams play a few more games before deciding division locks eh?

Not a Jets fan in disguise are you?

On topic: You have to wonder if Mangini makes these moves to screw with BB? First letting the Jets in for Sanchez, now this.

Last edited:

Well, good to know. At least I have my Sundays free for the rest of the year. After last year, I should have already knew that. After Brady went down, they were a lock last year to win the East and they had that locked up in November of last year.

Let's see what happens. After the way Sanchez and the offense looked last week, I wouldn't be crowning them anything. Was last week an aborration or signs of things to come? It could a case that it took a month to learn how to rattle Sanchez and without their running game kicking into gear, I am not sure that Edwards will do much to correct that.

If the Jets can re-sign Edwards for reasonable coin, this is a very good move.

If the Jets don't re-sign Edwards, this is a reasonable move given the heightened expectations for the team and Sanchez.

If the Jets re-sign Edwards for serious jack, they better pray he turns into a legit #1 threat since they likely will be limited in their player acquisition/retention efforts for a while.

Re: OT: Braylon Edwards to the Jets...

Indeed, I was just coming on to post that I think Edwards is a good receiver, but he is very "Jekyl and Hyde" like. Sometimes he makes great catches, then drops some easily catchable balls. This trade doesn't worry me too much.

I was more worried about Kris Jenkins joining the Jets than Braylon.

If the Jets can re-sign Edwards for reasonable coin, this is a very good move.

If the Jets don't re-sign Edwards, this is a reasonable move given the heightened expectations for the team and Sanchez.

If the Jets re-sign Edwards for serious jack, they better pray he turns into a legit #1 threat since they likely will be limited in their player acquisition/retention efforts for a while.

Edwards wanted Larry Fitzgerald money this past offseason. That is part of the reason why the Browns coudn't move him this offseason. So I don't expect them to sign him for much less than "serious jack".

And probably a lock to win the Super Bowl, too. :D

Come on, get real. No one's a lock for anything. If we win out, we have home field advantage in the AFC. Let's worry about winning our next game, not what the Jets will do.

This trade will allow their running game to start moving the chains regardless how he fits in. Hard to stack the box with him in the line-up.

Last edited:

The Jets are going for it all this year. If Braylon Edwards can produce, that's a steal of a trade. Chansi Stuckey is decent but he's replaceable. Trusnick is even less decent than Stuckey and third and fifth round picks are a wash. If they don't advance deep into the playoffs this year, they're doomed. I highly doubt they're going to have money to keep some of the defensive talent they have on that squad and isn't Leon Washington coming up on a new contract?

We're doomed? We traded for a 26 year old WR. We didn't give up the future for a young players. Cleveland got a solid ST player/3rd string LB and a #3 (at best)/#4 WR. Meaning they got garbage, 2 players with basically zero trade value. It was basically a 3rd and 5th, that is the value they got.

Not to mention, almost our entire team is very very young, so how are we doomed going forward? And we have plenty of money, we are right now projected to be at 93 million of used cap space going into 2010, meaning we'll have what? About 30 million in cap room?

As for some others in this thread, just to let you know, there's about 0% chance Philly is getting a 2nd or 3rd from us in the Sheppard trade. He needed to play 85% to be eligible for either (2nd was 85% and contract, 3rd was just 85%). Well he missed 2 entire games, and played a lot less than 85% of the snaps in the first games. Someone did the math on the espn board, even if he played 100% of the snaps the rest of the season (which obviously isn't happening) he likely still wouldn't get to 85%.

Philly might get nothing form us, but at best its a 4th.

Edwards loves the night life and the fame, he hates to work more than
he has to. In The BIG APPLE, the guy is going to have so many distractions
if he last more that 2 months without an incident it will be a miracle.

Prediction his drop rate raises from 43% and may exceed 50% on catch-able
passes.;)

Re: OT: Braylon Edwards to the Jets...

Cause Rex Ryan is a little girl and he needs a big man to make his defense feel safe.
If rex ryan was so confident in his defense he wouldnt need to make this move.

Astute observation. You must be a football expert. Why field an offense at all if you defense is so good?

I'm not concerned about Edwards. Whatever draft picks were given in exchange is more than he is worth. As one fellow said on another board, the best way to defend Edwards is to leave him open. :rofl:

Every Jets fan I know is dismayed about the deal, thinking Stuckey was better than Edwards, let alone two picks and another player and a huge contract. And the Browns couldn't wait to get rid of Edwards. The Browns. Take that for what it's worth.

Either you know a small cadre of jet fans or your post is fabricated. I'd say 8 out of 10 fans posting on jets message boards feel very positive about the trade.

Re: OT- Braylon Edwards to the Jets...

Need to see what they give up first, but they are so desperate to beat the Pats, ala trading for Farve... Tannenbum, is a joke of a Gm though... Rex Ryan is good for the jets now, and I know people want to make Sanchez the next great thing.. Your right with mortgage the future, they need to be a super bowl team with in 2 years for this to be worth it..

Tannenbaum is not a joke. He has put together a pretty good team. I would
suggest that the Jets are one of the top teams in the AFC and, barring injuries,
will be 'there' at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back