PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Braylon Edwards to the Jets for 2 players, third (cond. second), fifth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Braylon Edwards to the Jets for 2 players, third, fifth

They didn't get a great return for him, but the Browns needed to get rid of Edwards. Mangini needs to get rid of all the malcontents, and he's been doing that. He'd better hit on the draft, though, or his Cleveland tenure will be a short one.

As for the Jets, they get a #1 receiver and don't pay all that much for him. Now, the question is whether or not his immaturity will make this a disaster in New York, where there's a distraction every 5 feet. If he can settle down off the field, and concentrate on the field, this will become a solid move for the Jets. I wouldn't bet the house on that happening, though.

I'm not impressed with Braylon Edwards. I don't like the deal for the Jets at all. Smart move by Mangini to rid a cancerous player, who underperforms and has a suspension coming. Braylon's mouth is bigger than his performance. Then he's up for a new contract next year. What on Earth are the Jets thinking? Were they tired of waiting for Galloway's release? Wouldn't Marvin Harrison be a better option. At least, he has proven to be a good player. They give up a ST ace and a developing receiver in Stuckey, plus two draft picks? Whoa! I am not concerned about our secondary being able to contain the Jets' passing attack. I'm happy with this deal.

I'd rather see the Jets get Edwards than Brandon Marshall, even if he is a meathead.
Ditto times 1000

The Jets aren't going anywhere. They were exposed last week, have a rookie QB, Edwards by the time he even gets comfortable in the offense won't change much. I mean how has Cleveland done with him the past few years?

The Jets will go 8-8 at best. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them lose this week in Miami.

J D Sal

Last edited:

Great signing for the Jets. Edwards is an incredibly athletic player who had a great season in 2007--the guy is a proven commodity in the NFL. Poor coaching has hurt him in recent months. Edwards could be a top 8 WR, or even higher if he puts his mind to it. Mangini knows his job is over by the season's midpoint, he wants to kill the Pats before he goes.

In my NFL pool, I'm picking the Phins to defeat the Jets. Not much of an upset really. Miami is tough against us at home too.

Re: OT: Braylon Edwards to the Jets...

Dumb, just plain dumb. :rolleyes:

So the coach shouldn't make trades to improve his team because it shows that he lacks confidence in his team? Maybe we should never have traded for Randy Moss and Wes Welker either. I guess that meant that Belichick had no confidence in Brady.

Moss and Welker were each given FULL TCs and Pre-Seasons to learn the offense and mesh with Brady.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Moss and Welker were each given FULL TCs and Pre-Seasons to learn the offense and messh with Brady.

Just sayin'.

Moss didn't play in any of the first preseason games he had with the Patriots.

Moss didn't play in any of the first preseason games he had with the Patriots.

He knew the playbook by the first game of the season and had been working out with Brady and the other receivers for 5+ months. Same with Welker.

Would be interesting if someone could list any receivers who ever were traded in the middle of a season who performed well with their new team in that first season.

Last edited:

Don't think this trade is nearly as one-sided as people are claiming. Braylon drops more passes than anyone else in the league and wants a huge contract, and is currently under investigation by the police and the league. He's talented, but even without the baggage he's not an elite talent. That said, I still don't hate the trade for the Jets, even though it's going to make it harder to build a foundation around sanchez.

Last edited:

Keep in mind though the QB situation Braylon had to endure in Cleveland. He had that one good year, had injury problems when Anderson had that great year so he couldn't take advantage of that and then the next two years, the QBs over there really stunk it up. I'm not saying he's Moss, but the guy is definitely a talented WR and if in the right situation, can really excel and become a real threat.

I look at this like when Plaxico went to the Giants. He had some issues in Pittsburgh, but when he went to the Giants, he helped them out a great deal and gave Eli a legit #1 WR. I can see the same thing happening with Braylon and Sanchez.

Except that Buress had a whole offseason to get his timing down with Eli. Sanchez and Edwards have to get their timing down in game situations. Edwards, if he stays with the Jets next year, might turn into Sanchez's Plaxico, but I think he may struggle this year because he needs to get his timing down with a rookie QB who is still trying to get used to the NFL and still has major flaws that need to be fixed (the Saints might have given the blueprint how to defend against Sanchez last weekend).

Besides Plaxico was a better receiver in Pittsburgh than Edwards was in Cleveland. And Plaxico had the likes of Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox throwing to him which isn't much of an upgrade over Derick Anderson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Tannenbaum, the general manager, addressed the news media before practice. He said the Jets and the Browns had been talking trade “for a while.” Tannenbaum said the Jets had reached out to the league regarding a possible suspension for Edwards’s legal troubles, and he said they also reached out to law enforcement officials”

While Tannenbaum did not say the league had given the team any assurances, he did say repeatedly the team was comfortable adding Edwards.
from http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/sports/football/08jets.html?_r=2&ref=sports

So, when does law enforcement talk about a pending case? And to a third party?–whether the NFL or the Jets. I’d like to know more about this.

"We're trying to find out as much information as possible before reaching a decision," the prosecutor said. Cleveland City Police, NFL investigating bar incident involving Cleveland Browns receiver Braylon Edwards - Cleveland.com

It’s difficult even for defense attorneys to get any information from law enforcement about a client’s pending criminal investigation.

Mike Tannenbaum, the general manager, addressed the news media before practice. He said the Jets and the Browns had been talking trade “for a while.” Tannenbaum said the Jets had reached out to the league regarding a possible suspension for Edwards’s legal troubles, and he said they also reached out to law enforcement officials”

While Tannenbaum did not say the league had given the team any assurances, he did say repeatedly the team was comfortable adding Edwards.
from http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/sports/football/08jets.html?_r=2&ref=sports

So, when does law enforcement talk about a pending case? And to a third party?–whether the NFL or the Jets. I’d like to know more about this.

"We're trying to find out as much information as possible before reaching a decision," the prosecutor said. Cleveland City Police, NFL investigating bar incident involving Cleveland Browns receiver Braylon Edwards - Cleveland.com

It’s difficult even for defense attorneys to get any information from law enforcement about a client’s pending criminal investigation.

The Jets don't tamper ;)

What, I feel the exact opposite. I think this is a very good trade by the Mangina. I don't think it's a great trade by the Jets, but its not a terrible trade (though, it could be). I's very much High risk/ high reward. Certainly is a seemingly high compensation for him too.

That is my take too. I wouldn't be surprised at the end of the season if people are saying the Browns fleeced the Jets on this trade. I can also see people calling it one of the worst trades in recent NFL history in favor of the Jets too.

Edwards is no sure thing. He has tons of talent, but I question his dedication and mental aspect of the game. Considering he was being dangled all offseason with no takers, there are other GMs who agree with me.

Edwards could break out with the Jets or they could have this year's Roy Williams on their hands. If the Saints gave the rest of the league a blueprint on how to baffle Sanchez like they did last weekend, it will be irrelevant because Sanchez will have more problems than the quality of receivers he is throwing to.

Same day the 49ers signed Crabtree... :D

Braylon Edwards trade gives Jets the No. 1 receiver they lacked

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0TGQX44Vj
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

In taking the Braylon Edwards problem off the Browns' hands Wednesday, the New York Jets have made another bold move to win now and win big in the AFC East in the first year of the Rex Ryan era.

Edwards is an undeniable talent at receiver, but Cleveland's 2005 first-round pick has had just one season so far (2007) that was worthy of his No. 3 overall draft slot. Whether or not New York can find a way to mine Edwards' potential is a calculated risk that at first glance doesn't appear to have a huge downside for the Jets.

In addition to shipping to Cleveland a pair of veteran players in slot receiver Chansi Stuckey and special teams player Jason Trusnik -- two players now headed from first to worst in the standings -- the first-place Jets (3-1) are sending the Browns a pair of draft picks believed to be in the range of the third or fourth round. That's not a huge price to pay for Edwards if New York can get him performing anywhere near the level of his 2007 breakthrough season, when he scored 16 touchdowns and hauled in 80 passes for 1,289 yards.

Edwards has been plagued by both dropped passes and off-field maturity issues since his Pro Bowl season of 2007, but the Jets believe they know his warts and can foster an atmosphere that brings out the best in the enigmatic former University of Michigan star. New York is counting on Edwards being happier away from the losing climate that prevailed in Cleveland, and the hope is that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer can quickly mold a significant role for him, with rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez feeding him the ball and keeping him interested.

The knock on Edwards in Cleveland has been that he's not a player who lives and breaths the game as much as he enjoys the fame and lifestyle of an NFL star. Playing in the New York might only end up accentuating that pattern, but the Jets are counting on Edwards to work harder at his craft than he did in Cleveland, and to get on board with a winning program that could potentially showcase his receiving talents.

Edwards is only signed through 2009, but if there is no new collective bargaining agreement struck by next March, the Jets will retain his rights as a restricted free agent when the salary cap disappears in 2010 and the free agency rules change to preclude unrestricted movement until a player has six years in the league. Edwards is currently in his fifth year.

As for the 0-4 Browns, new head coach Eric Mangini continues to collect his ex-Jets players, getting two reliable performers in Stuckey and Trusnik. Stuckey is a resourceful and, at times, very productive slot receiver, and Trusnik is a quality special teams player and reserve linebacker who earlier this season contributed to New York's win over Tennessee with a key forced fumble and recovery on kick coverage.

For Cleveland, the rational to move Edwards was obvious: He had become a steady source of off-field controversy, and he certainly wasn't helping them win on the field, being held without a catch for the first time in his career in Sunday's overtime loss at home against Cincinnati. Mangini, no doubt, reasoned that his team would be better off with two quality role players and some future draft picks than an underachieving irritant who had clearly worn out his welcome in Cleveland.

The Jets have now potentially landed the No. 1 receiver their offense lacked, giving them another chip in their attempt to unseat AFC East power New England, where Randy Moss remains the division's most dominant receiver. New York has done so without granting Edwards a lucrative new contract or surrendering valuable first- or second-round picks in any future drafts. All things considered, the Jets see Edwards' upside -- he's 26 and has scored 25 touchdowns in his last three full seasons -- as a risk worth investing in that doesn't come at a premium price.

-Don Banks

The Jets have drafted very well the last 4 years (minus Gholston), they have many good young players at all the important positions, they don't need to stock pile picks like the patriots who've wiffed on many draft picks in recent years. If Edwards is the player from 2007, the Jets will be a very tough out.

In regards to Edwards's legal troubles at worst he will most likely reach a settlement. he punched the guy, its not like he broke something like his jaw *cough*tomcable*cough*

The Jets wouldn't add him if he was at risk of being suspended for lengthy amount of time, lets say at worst he was suspended for 2 weeks, it would take him that long to move to NY and know the playbook anyway.

This was a great deal for the Jets and honestly a terrible one for the browns. Stuckey is not a good a reciever as he gets credit for, hes crafty but doesn't have enough to speed to create separation, and this is a huge problem for a rookie qb who needs some wiggle room with his passes, Sanchez doesnt have the maturity yet to hit those small windows that avg or below avg is stuck with giving him. Trusnik is a non factor and his loss wont affect the Jets in the slightest, and the loss of lower draft picks wont affect them that much in the near future.

Ive been hearing alot about the dropped balls, but lets not forget this guy caught 16 touchdown passes in 2007, and has been stuck on a horrendous browns team. Braylon Edwards is probably ecstatic over going to the jets, leaving the browns is like escaping the titanic at this point.

Edwards's presence on the jets will have a huge impact, when a young QB has a security blanket it helps his growing process in a big way, just look at eli with plaxico who was his safety valve in pressure situations. Edwards also stops defenses from stacking 8 in the box, and forces them to respect the passing attack. Jerricho Cotchery the jets former #1 WR is 5th in the league in passing yards, imagine how much more effective he will be returning as the #2 guy, when he will get matched up in 1 on 1 coverage rather than a possible double team he would face as the #1. Keller and Cotchery will be making more plays as a result, the running game will improve by making defenses respect the pass more, and sanchez will have a good wr to help him have success as a rookie.

I guarantee edwards shapes up in NY, he is leaving an organization that has been nothing but horrendous the past few years, he jumps from one of the worst teams in the league to a serious contender. He is leaving a coach who runs his team like an army platoon and going to a coach that lets the inmates run the asylum. for Edwards its like going from prison to disneyworld.

in short, great deal for the jets.
Terrible deal for the browns.
and a very happy braylon edwards.

I'd rather see the Jets get Edwards than Brandon Marshall, even if he is a meathead.

I am with you on that one. Of all the WRs associated with the Jets over the last few months Edwards is the one I fear the least. That is not to say he is not talented or capable of filling the absence of a deep threat for the Jets. But compared to the others like Plax, Crabtree, Marshal or Bolden he is lower down the pile. I know Crabtree is still unproven but I do think they were in the market for his services.

My relief is that it wasn't Bolden.

I don't think they gave up too much - yet think this is a fairly good deal for both teams.

Interesting to see how Rexy's ultra confidence will rub off on a troubled player with high self esteem.

Huge potential win here for the Jets if they can harness Edwards' immense talent and have him produce out on the field for them. If he doesn't, it's not a critical draft pick and/or player that it costs them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back