PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Brandon Marshall to Miami for 2010 2nd and 2011 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
a.) Crumpler is not what I would call injury prone.

b.) They also signed Damione Lewis.

OH MAN

WE'RE SET

I've never even heard of Damione Lewis and Crumpler is a fat tub of goo

I wonder if the Patriot's unwillingness to trade for knuckleheads has anything to to do with the level of leadership in the locker room. In the past players like Dillon, Moss and Thomas were kept in check by players like Brady, Bruschi, Seymour and Harrison. With the apparent emphasis on team chemistry this off season I wonder if the Pats front office doesn't think the locker room is able to absorb the Holmes and Marshalls of the NFL, regardless of the financial costs and or draft picks required to acquire the players.

a.) Crumpler is not what I would call injury prone.

You may want to look at his history of injuries then. And look at the difficulty he had recovering from the last one. Now look at his age. Its only going to get worse from here.

b.) They also signed Damione Lewis.

Yeah, those are some impressive career stats on that guy. :rolleyes: He is way better than Peppers, Taylor or any of the other players we had a chance to pick up.

I wonder if the Patriot's unwillingness to trade for knuckleheads has anything to to do with the level of leadership in the locker room. In the past players like Dillon, Moss and Thomas were kept in check by players like Brady, Bruschi, Seymour and Harrison. With the apparent emphasis on team chemistry this off season I wonder if the Pats front office doesn't think the locker room is able to absorb the Holmes and Marshalls of the NFL, regardless of the financial costs and or draft picks required to acquire the players.

It has EVERYTHING to do with lack of leadership...there is almost no one in this locker room who will bash heads in if a player is out of line.....

OH MAN

WE'RE SET

I've never even heard of Damione Lewis and Crumpler is a fat tub of goo

Yeah, I had never heard of him either so I had to look him up. :eek:

We really scraped the bottom of barrel during this year's FA. Couldn't we just pull Troy and Junior out of retirement instead? :explative:

If you've never heard of Damione Lewis, you've merely confirmed what I already knew: your opinion on such things is of extremely limited value.

How so

I don't have the luxury of watching every game every weekend and then spending the next few days on ESPN relearning stats from all the games

Sorry, but he isn't a big name player.

True. But adding Holmes or Marshall to a team that is allegedly already suffering from chemistry and locker room issues is probably not the wisest course of action.

Now Boldin, I'm not so sure where the front office stood on that one.

Isn't "where the front office stood" really what's been the problem over the past year, though?

You may want to look at his history of injuries then. And look at the difficulty he had recovering from the last one. Now look at his age. Its only going to get worse from here.

Alge Crumpler

Perhaps you can point me to the relevant area on his profile that would support your claim that he's injury prone.

Yeah, those are some impressive career stats on that guy. :rolleyes: He is way better than Peppers, Taylor or any of the other players we had a chance to pick up.

Yeah, you'd probably say the same thing after looking at Wilfork's career stat-line :rolleyes:

And as for Peppers (too expensive) and Taylor (done), I'm, err, surprised those are the players you'd cite when attempting to indict the front office.

Last edited:

I think the bigger problem is that people compare every problem player with Moss and Dillon as if the situations are the same.

First, the Pats acquired Dillon under the Tagliabue regime. Back then, you could literally kill someone and get a slap on the wrist. Tagliabue gave Little a free pass killing someone for drunk driving which cost Donte Stallworth a season under Goodell.

Second, the Pats did extensive research on both Dillon and Moss (and most likely Holmes and Marshall) and determined that many of their attitude issues were overstated by the media. Also, neither had recent legal issues at the time the Pats acquired them.

Third, the Pats did find in their research that both Moss and Dillon were well liked in the lockerroom and were even leaders in their own right. Reports have both Holmes and Marshall unpopular with their teammates.

Now I don't know why specifically the Pats did not get Holmes or Marshall, but there were 30 other teams that were in the same boat as the Pats and some with a greater need for WR than them and potentially higher picks in the rounds to give up. But comparing them to Dillon and Moss and what the make up of the Pats lockerroom may be irrelevant.

I wouldn't mind having the talent of either Marshall or Holmes on this team, but they both have baggage. I think Marshall has too much baggage to make the risk the Dolphins did, but the Jets didn't risk much for Holmes' baggage.

First, Wake had 5.5 sacks with 2.5 of them coming against a bad offensive line in Buffalo. It was the only game of the season where he had more than one sack in a game and he only had three other games where he had a sack. He played in all 16 games and registered a tackle in all but four. So calling him a sack machine when he was in is very inaccurate. Five and a half sacks even for a situational pass rusher is not all that impressive.

Wrong on many counts. Wake played in 14 games, not 16. He started exactly one of those games. I watched every Dolphins game this past season and Wake was only in on times that Taylor or Porter needed a breather. They were both the starters, even though Dolphin fans themselves couldn't understand it. Let us not forget that in our second game against the Dolphins, the second he was put in he caved in the pocket, wrapped his arms around Brady, and forced a terrible throw which became the game-ending interception. The vast majority of Dolphin fans I know (and I know a lot) are extremely happy that Wake is going to be stepping into a bigger role on the defense, run stopping issues and all.

Second, yes the Dolphins didn't have a great defense before losing Ferguson, but it was worse after he left. So his suspension for the first eight games will hurt them. If he wasn't important to their defense, I doubt Parcells would have him back for eight games.

He's only important to the defense because of said lack of depth for nose tackles in the draft. The man is 35 years old and is on his last legs. But having a suspended 35 year old NT is better than potentially having no NT. If the Dolphins move up in the first round and draft Cody, do you honestly think they'll keep Ferguson?

Third, even if Taylor, Porter, and Wilson weren't great, they were better than what the Dolphins have on their roster now. They may improve those positions in the draft or after, but they haven't yet.

You might have a point with Taylor, but I highly doubt that Porter and Wilson will be better than what the Dolphins will walk in with next season. Wilson was just god awful.

Isn't "where the front office stood" really what's been the problem over the past year, though?

Yup. I'm just saying, I have no idea what they were thinking on Boldin. On the surface, it looks like it would have been a good addition. Perhaps they had a valid reason for passing on him, or perhaps it's another gaffe; only time will tell.

Other than the NFC east, is the AFC east the best divison in football? Only the Bills let it down

i think it already is..brady, bellichick, the jets and dolphins look to be solid now...the nfc east? please..zero of those teams would fare well at least vs jets/pats this season.

Yeah, because that's exactly the point I was making.

If you've never heard of Damione Lewis, you've merely confirmed what I already knew: your opinion on such things is of extremely limited value.

Yeah,Damione Lewis..great pickup for us...32 years old who averages 25 tackles and around 2 sacks per season in his 9 years as a pro :rolleyes:

I sit and I wonder how the Hell the Bears could have had the slightest interest in that guy named Julius Peppers when this stud of a player was right next to him on that team.....what a dumb move :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If by saying someone is a Chicken Little by assuming this team is probably not going to win a SB with the roster not being significatly upgraded other than adding a few rookies and some discarded JAGS in a month or two then pencil me is as one...I prefer to look at the broader picture and see the team looking to build for the near future and may have to digress before progress.

The homers see this team as still being an Elite one....it is not and yes,they do have thier head in the sand

Of course this all does not mean we have to forget to watch the Pats this season just because it does not look good right now
...it should be fun to see what the future holds for the new talent we get without having the whole world of high expectations on our shoulders.

I still have high expectations simply because of Brady and Belichick. Plus we have high caliber veterans, and some young guys that should develop even more. We haven't added a significant talent to our roster, but we've managed to keep vital pieces. And if Brady was clutch Brady last postseason, I think he would have made up for some deficiencies we had and we would have played on.

Now saying all that, we have to acknowledge that the division is getting better. Both the Jets and Dolphins have built solid foundations. Both franchises are now run by smart FOs, both have competent coaching staffs, and both teams have a solid nucleus of players.

We still have the best player and coach in the division, but will that be enough?

How so

I don't have the luxury of watching every game every weekend and then spending the next few days on ESPN relearning stats from all the games

Sorry, but he isn't a big name player.

Uh, neither do I. I rarely watch football games when they don't involve the Patriots.

That doesn't prevent me from having a grasp on other team's players, especially when they've been in the league for nine seasons.

Yup. I'm just saying, I have no idea what they were thinking on Boldin. On the surface, it looks like it would have been a good addition. Perhaps they had a valid reason for passing on him, or perhaps it's another gaffe; only time will tell.

From reading your earlier post, I thought you were talking about a stamp of approval based upon their call alone. Now that I see where you were going, I agree that Boldin's injury questions and his being more of the WR3 in the Patriots system than a bonafide WR1 made him an expensive and questionable player to add (which is why my beef regarding the team not getting him was specific and only if the report about the team bowing out late were true).

Last edited:
Now I don't know why specifically the Pats did not get Holmes or Marshall, but there were 30 other teams that were in the same boat as the Pats and some with a greater need for WR than them and potentially higher picks in the rounds to give up. But comparing them to Dillon and Moss and what the make up of the Pats lockerroom may be irrelevant.

I wouldn't mind having the talent of either Marshall or Holmes on this team, but they both have baggage. I think Marshall has too much baggage to make the risk the Dolphins did, but the Jets didn't risk much for Holmes' baggage.

Holmes: 1 toke away from being suspended for the entire year. Definitely a punk.
Marshall: checkered past with the law, horrible team guy, making way more money than the Pats think he's worth.

then, as another Poster stated, there's
Boldin: (???) Red flag because always said he wanted a long term deal for what he felt he was worth?? Would love to know exactly what went down to make us decide to pass on him.

Yeah,Damione Lewis..great pickup for us...32 years old who averages 25 tackles and around 2 sacks per season in his 9 years as a pro :rolleyes:

I sit and I wonder how the Hell the Bears could have had the slightest interest in that guy named Julius Peppers when this stud of a player was right next to him on that team.....what a dumb move :rolleyes:

Thank you for this extraordinarily crappy post, even by your standards.

I suggest you go visit some Panthers messageboards to get an actual informed opinion on the guy. I would have hate to have seen your reaction when you realized they were relying on Anthony Pleasant and Bobby Hamilton as starters on the DL.

That's a good deal for Miami! Hopefully the Pats can make something useful of the draft.

AHHHHHH! Draft, that is not going to do it Cousins....what are we thinking out there? What is it we do not understand. 13 Holes for 12 Draft Choices. BB better be doing his homework. Everyone of them has to make the Team.

If you are a homer, you say that the Jets and the Dolphins not to mention the Ravens and even the Browns just brought in a whole bunch of knuckleheads so why worry and we can win with Patten, Aiken, AD, Maroney and Sanders (the last two because they are crowd favorites on this site), some old TE and some journeyman short DT...oh yeah and a good ST player......I almost forgot...three second round Draft choices.

Now the word no one on this forum wants to hear. The Pats are "rebuilding". It is so apparent by not making simple acquisitions of talent that has been available for reasonable expense (not Marshall or Peppers ok). It is obvious to me as they have already began last year loading for 2011. No doubt in my mind BB will swap some picks for 2011 in this Draft. Any takers?

We will be awesome in 2013 and above though.

Don't give me that "sky is falling crap". Yes I will enjoy the Team in 2010. The pressure is off because they have not increased their talent and it will be interesting to see how many games they will actually win. My expectations for them in 2010 are the worse since 2001. As of 4/14/01 (yes way early)they do not have sufficient talent to be a playoff Team. Will it change? Not with the lethargy that is coming from Foxborough. They have passed off "signing their own FAs as something great to make our off-season and the homers have bought into it, seeing as how they could have done that months ago.

I have been consistent in my approach that the Draft alone will not work. I guess there is nothing wrong with rebuilding but they left us with too much hope. But then again the one statement the F.O. left us on the edge of our seat with....."We are going to wait and see which players get cut before the season so we can pick them up"......Why didn't I think of that? That's like hopping to win the Lottery to pay your mortgage.

I look forward to 2010 and hope we can upset some of the Teams that have made themselves better (yes on paper but you cannot survive without talent in the NFL).

If I hear one more "Wait until the Draft" installment of bravado, it will be too soon. Even so, yes Cousins, the Patriots are rebuilding. The torch is being passed but let's hope we can build a better team and three or four of these guys in this Draft and next Draft and we are up there once again.

I do feel bad for TB though, Here are two years of his career probably urinated away.

In this case I can only hope everything I said was wrong completely but I smell rebuild year. I feel bad for the ticket holders as well because they are paying expensive money to watch the Pats put the supposed best Team on the field they can assemble. They have not the intention to do so at this time.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes