PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bears release Ricky Manning, Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not Jewish and the slurs weren't even the worse of it.

It's the fact he and his thug friends decided to gang up on a defenseless student minding his own business and then decided to pummel him while yelling the homophobic and anti-Semitic slurs for no other reason than to gain personal sanctification from another humans pain.

It's disgusting this guy is allowed to even be in the league, he represents the NFL image and is being paid millions.
I agree with what you are saying..I'm all for giving players second chances..but there are those that do NOT get it..and Manning doesn't. A big pass on him...and I do not think he will be an upgrade for all the baggage he will bring. Let's see what team goes for him..and what happns ON THAT team..

I posted a thread over at a colts board

Subject: Shocking News: Manning Released

Inside: CB Ricky Manning Jr was released by the bears

(it got deleted quickly)

ROFL. Good stuff. They should have kept that thread open.

As for Ricky Manning Jr. I think he's got a bunch of talent.
And he can help the Patriots secondary.
If he can turn over a new leaf, the Pats get themselves a starting quality CB.

If he screws up his chance, the Pats just cut his sorry ass.
I don't see much downside to giving him a 1 year "prove it" contract.

Is Manning the guy who got thrown around like a rag doll by David Givens in SB39?

Eh, I'll take him. He's an upgrade at corner and if Mr. Kraft decides he's worthy of a look, that's fine with me. I'm not Jewish and I'm definitely not anti-Semetic (sp on that one?) but I think it's funny that all the Jewish people in here are getting their panties in a bunch. If he beat an Irishman's ass while calling him a "Mick" or an "Irish Potato", I wouldn't be offended. Eh, I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

How do you know that "all the Jewish people in here are getting their panties in a bunch"?

If you read my post, it was not targeted at the Jewish issue. I'd be upset by any hateful epithet being spewed.

And I don't know, maybe 80% of my family being killed just for being Jews has made me a little sensitive.

I'm not Jewish and the slurs weren't even the worse of it.

It's the fact he and his thug friends decided to gang up on a defenseless student minding his own business and then decided to pummel him while yelling the homophobic and anti-Semitic slurs for no other reason than to gain personal sanctification from another humans pain.

It's disgusting this guy is allowed to even be in the league, he represents the NFL image and is being paid millions.

Every one deserves a second chance is a situational phrase.

Murderers don't deserve a second chance, rapists don't deserve a second chance and someone playing division 1 college football with a promising NFL future who decided to bully and physically/verbally beat a defenseless student down while yelling homophobic/anti-Semitic slurs does not deserve a second chance.

Again, sickening he's allowed to play. Just as disgusting a human being as Micheal Vick.

I could not agree with you more.

I can't believe I actually enjoyed watching little Maurice Jones-Drew.

I wish nothing but the worst for him as well.

It was later determined the Maurice Jones-Drew had nothing to do with the incident. He just happened to be in the Denny's at the same time elsewhere, minding his own business...

Last edited:
It was later determined the Maurice Jones-Drew had nothing to do with the incident. He just happened to be in the Denny's at the same time elsewhere, minding his own business...

Appreciate that clarification. It would be a travesty to smear someone with such despicible conduct when they were innocent. Manning is a putz.

Interesting thread. This seems an appropriate time to review the Krafts' stance on off-field behavior, as they are often held as one of the model franchises in this regard.

<can't remember name> -- player who was cut after throwing boiling water on his roommate.

Corey Dillon -- had a lot of trouble with the law when he was young, less trouble when he was older, and apparently no trouble since he was signed by the Pats.

Danny Baugher -- assaulted his father in a parking lot in Hanover. Had already been released at the time.

Randy Moss -- incident in high school, traffic incident, on-field behavior issues. He's not without issues, but the more I find out about this guy, the more I think he's gotten a bad rap. That's not fanboy worship, that's seeing how he is with kids. Moss' alleged battery of Rachelle Washington was a civil suit that appears to have been extortion and has been withdrawn.

Brandon Meriweather -- on-field and off-field incidents in college, nothing since signing with Patriots.

Rodney Harrison -- use of HGH. Violation of league policy. Served suspension. I have a moral issue with using drugs to gain competitive advantage, but I put it in a wholly different class of morality than repugnant crimes like assault. Remains on team with my wholehearted support.

Willie Andrews -- charge with gun assault charges, subsequently released. Good riddance.

Kevin Faulk -- possession of Mary Jane. Personally, I don't have a moral issue with it. Victimless crime, stupid to have it on him.

Nick Kaczur -- possession of controlled substance. Don't know enough about this one, but it's in the same category as Rodney Harrison, except he was probably suffering from addiction.

Bottom line: several past and current Patriots players have had off-field problems with the law and with substance abuse. But as far as I know, no Patriots player under Kraft has committed assault after signing and remained on the team.

I don't know Ricky Manning's full story. If he beat that student as reported, in an unprovoked assault, I don't want him on this team. That is a significant and recent crime. If, as he claims, he was not there and simply pleaded no contest (which is not the same as not guilty) for practical reasons, then I would trust the Krafts to make that evaluation and decide on our behalf. Purely aside from his qualifications as a player.

The Krafts' track record is good. Until I see evidence of the Krafts signing players who poorly represent New England, players I don't want to applaud when they step on the field, I will trust them to make those decisions.

So far, they're doing okay by me.

Great post by PatsFan37. I don't know the full story on this, but I know enough to say that I wouldn't care if the guy IS Deion Sanders--hell would freeze over and the Pats would play Ghost and Tom Brady at CB before they would consider signing this POS.

Great post by PatsFan37. I don't know the full story on this, but I know enough to say that I wouldn't care if the guy IS Deion Sanders--hell would freeze over and the Pats would play Ghost and Tom Brady at CB before they would consider signing this POS.

While I'm not on any bandwagon trying to get this guy into a Patriots uniform, if he was Primetime at his best, Kraft and Co. would already have brought him in and tried to sign him. Just take a Gander at Dillon's past.

While I'm not on any bandwagon trying to get this guy into a Patriots uniform, if he was Primetime at his best, Kraft and Co. would already have brought him in and tried to sign him. Just take a Gander at Dillon's past.

I do not fully agree. I think much of that would depend not only on his ability but also of their impressions of his attitude. I do not think the Pats would bring in a good player with a checkered past if they felt that he had the wrong attitude for the team. They clearly felt that Dillon wanted to win badly enough to fall in line despite his history. The same cannot be said of all thugs, or even non-thugs.

What I'm saing is it would take more than just being a great player for the Pats to bring him on board, such as the case with Terry Glenn in 2001.

I do not fully agree. I think much of that would depend not only on his ability but also of their impressions of his attitude. I do not think the Pats would bring in a good player with a checkered past if they felt that he had the wrong attitude for the team. They clearly felt that Dillon wanted to win badly enough to fall in line despite his history. The same cannot be said of all thugs, or even non-thugs.

What I'm saing is it would take more than just being a great player for the Pats to bring him on board, such as the case with Terry Glenn in 2001.

I'm with you in theory. But the example given was Primetime. At his best, he was probably the best CB ever to play the game, at least in coverage. Remember, this is the team that kept Ty "it's my cousin's" Law around and paid him the big coin, too. Imagine what games and scores would have been like last year with Sanders patrolling the secondary along with everything else staying the same.

Last edited:
I'm with you in theory. But the example given was Primetime. At his best, he was probably the best CB ever to play the game, at least in coverage. Remember, this is the team that kept Ty "it's my cousin's" Law around and paid him the big coin, too. Imagine what games and scores would have been like last year with Sanders patrolling the secondary along with everything else staying the same.

If it's a once-in-a-generation player I tend to agree with you. For a normal good or even great player, I'm not sure. I was thinking about TO when I wrote my first response, and I can't imagine the Pats signing that prick because they know he'd end up being a distraction.

I think...:)

If even half of what Manning Jr. is accused of is true, can anyone name one NE player during the Kraft regime who ever did anything worse than this, either before or after joining the Pats? An NFL player and his buddies beating the crap of some college kid at a Denny's? I'd be interested to know.

plus we got Vince Redd who was kicked off VT for smokin cheeba. :)

Manning is a legit starting CB who played on some good D's, Carolina and the Bears. He would be an upgrade over Bryant.

It was actually UVA, and not VT, but the punk factor does have to weigh into any decision.

And..MUCH of that was way in the past...no?? There are many that have had troubled as teens and early 20s...Gee from the BS writer there.."We still expect a lot of jail time from this promising youngster."....Hmmmmmm promising..and..a BIT disappointed...no?? sorry...I find that to be garbage.. cynical smarmy bottom of the barrel...but thats MY opinion.. so..the past is the past..and?? Where is something lately about Mr Dillon...post article??? Gee...maybe he's turned his life around?? No?? I know many didn't like him..including many of the snotty PFWs.. (they hated McGinest as well..) but if all you have is way past bad deeds...nothing recent..it's doesn't compare with Manning...maybe Moss would be next to try and throw under the bus...Actually it's good you brought that up for it shows HOW MUCH Mr Dillion changed...That does happen..much as trash like that likes too predict otherwise.."promising"...LOL

Deus, the point is, that was way in the past. Dillon was the first guy the Krafts brought in with a truly checkered past and apparently they went through due diligence with him -- multiple interviews and background checks. Manning's incident is not way in the past -- there are two relatively recent cases of assault.

Would the Pats consider a great player with a four-year-old case of assault that was pleaded no-contest? Perhaps. But I believe they would have to be convinced of extenuating circumstances and evidence the player had changed. For example: If they had the 2006 line-up of WRs today and Branch already on his way to Seattle, I don't think they would have brought in Chris Henry. There's no getting around the guy is a thug.

What if Moss had Henry's background and attitude and no other team wanted him. Again, I don't think so. But that's something we'll never know.

Dillon's criminal transgressions were well in the past. Moss had no recent criminal activity (the traffic incident was pleaded out as a misdemeanor). Those are the only two guys who were truly star players and had questionable pasts.

all this is true but talent is a great set of blinders. Pacman makes this guy look like a priest and the Pats were reported to be very interested in him. Manning is a capable CB and a starter on most teams. Chicago IMHO cut him for cap reasons not talent. I still think he ends up somewhere else but it wouldn't surprise me

all this is true but talent is a great set of blinders. Pacman makes this guy look like a priest and the Pats were reported to be very interested in him. Manning is a capable CB and a starter on most teams. Chicago IMHO cut him for cap reasons not talent. I still think he ends up somewhere else but it wouldn't surprise me
So a media report originating with a player's agent, with no confirmation from the team, is something you consider evidence of their interest.

Hardly.

When they bring him in for a workout, then they're showing interest. Everything else is hogwash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back