PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Organized Religion: An utter waste of time

I feel individual character, especially integrity, comes from a fundamental belief in certain absolute values (call it God if you want). To believe in no God is to believe that everything is relative and justifiable.

Does anyone disagree?

Yeah...me and pretty much everyone else I consider family or friend.

With respect, the "absolute values" you refer to do not equate to God simply because you say that they do.

I don't know if there is a God, and when it comes to my time here, I don't care. I live the way I think I should live, the way that will make the most positive and lasting impact, whether it's holding a door at Dunkin' Donuts, stopping in the rain to change someone's tire, or putting myself at risk to help someone who needs it.

The religious tend to think that that it is their religion that makes them the person they are, because that is what they have been told since they were old enough to listen. I say they're selling themselves short.

Conversely, those who do what they want and constantly ask forgiveness, knowing that it will be granted, are the worst kind of people. For them, religion is the single worst thing that could have happened to them.

Regardless, the acceptance, rejection, or bare acknowledgment of God doesn't make the person. That's how you can have good people and bad people proclaiming the exact same faith, each as fervently as the other.

To believe in God means that everything here is relative and justifiable, not the other way around. To believe in no God, or to not care for what he may have to say, means that you live a life of real consequence under the belief that this is all there is.

Yeah...me and pretty much everyone else I consider family or friend. With respect, the "absolute values" you refer to do not equate to God simply because you say that they do.

What I mean is, there are certain universal ideals espoused by most major religions (love your neighbor as yourself, do not steal, do not kill, etc), and these ideals are considered absolute values that are good even if you aren't religious.

If you throw out not just religion but also completely reject God, I contend you are also saying you do not believe in any universal values. Then, nothing is absolute, everything is relative. Can you please give me an explanation for why you would believe that values such as love or peace can be accepted by a society that is post-modern, if going against those values actually serves its best interests?

If you throw out not just religion but also completely reject God, I contend you are also saying you do not believe in any universal values.

That's a fallacious argument.

Universal ideals such as love and peace were around before religion, and they will be around after the current crop of religions have expired...religions that, incidentally, have gone a long way to shatter those ideals to serve their own purposes.

Assuming we don't blow ourselves up first. :D

It just doesn't make sense to me. How can someone reject a universal idea like God, but believe in something like love, or charity, or peace? And I'm not talking about acting loving, or charitable, or promoting peace when it serves your best interests and helps you out.

It just doesn't make sense to me. How can someone reject a universal idea like God, but believe in something like love, or charity, or peace? And I'm not talking about acting loving, or charitable, or promoting peace when it serves your best interests and helps you out.

It doesn't have to make sense to you, but...

1) God is not a universal idea; the concept of gods is. God may or may not exist. That's all we know.

2) I know for a fact that love exists; I've felt it. I know that being charitable helps both the giver and the recipient. I know that peace is always preferable to war.

3) I don't know if God exists. To be honest, if he does, I don't particularly like Him. Judging by the books and the people who spread the Word, he's pretty much an a-hole.

4) Living a life geared to getting yourself to Heaven is the ultimate in selfishness; living a life geared towards making the world around you a little better with no thought of eternal reward shows real character.

living a life geared towards making the world around you a little better with no thought of eternal reward shows real character.

I would say that people who believe in this do believe in God, or absolute goodness, and try to live that way during their lives. This kind of belief has nothing to do with eternal life afterwards espoused by religion.

Don't even get me started on this.

Ha. Well I am equating God with a belief in absolute goodness. That's what I meant by the difference between organized religion and a complete rejection of absolute values.

Ha. Well I am equating God with a belief in absolute goodness. That's what I meant by the difference between organized religion and a complete rejection of absolute values.

But equating one to the another has no basis in reason. Maybe I equate the rejection of God with a belief in absolute goodness. See what I mean?

This discussion has gotten away from the original point: that is "organized religion." One can accept God and still believe that organized religion (read: other people telling them how they should think) is, in fact, a waste of time.

But equating one to the another has no basis in reason. Maybe I equate the rejection of God with a belief in absolute goodness. See what I mean?

This discussion has gotten away from the original point: that is "organized religion." One can accept God and still believe that organized religion (read: other people telling them how they should think) is, in fact, a waste of time.

OK, we'll leave it at that. But I still think it's really unusual to completely reject a general belief in God while believing in values of absolute goodness (where is it based from and how do you justify it?).

Last edited:
Interesting (psuedo-?)etymological note -

A sci-fi writer, and a horrible and incorrigible pun-merchant named Piers Anthony once observed that you can just spell it Go(o)d and (D)evil. Interesting, but perhaps irrelevant, if the English etymologies are not in fact thereby derived.

In any event, the note has only to do with a linguistic derivation among English-speakers, as opposed to any overarching truth.

Mav, I think you've broadened the definition of God to the point that religion is, indeed, the worst perpetrator of mass-murder in history, without question.

The devoted Communist or Nazi believes in an absolute good. Less threateningly (thus far,) a Utilitarian can serve the absolute good of "the greatest good for the greatest number," which in fact is hard to argue against, and may indeed underly all governmental thought. The worst ones simply believe in great evil in the service of this purported good.

I do not equate the Party with God, although they serve similar functions in their respective ideologies. The difficulty is that the premise is falling apart. "Doing whatever you want" because of a lack of absolutism has just not been shown to be morally inferior to "doing what obeys a concept of an Absolute Good."

This is not your fault. We have many examples of the perils of following an Absolute, but arguably no examples of a lack of same. Because of the very ubiquity of religious sentiment -- and for the sake of Absolute vs. Relative, we must include totalitarianism -- we have no real examples of its lack.

The fear of Relativism (Post-Modernism, in your formulation,) is alive and well. But there have been no societies based on Relativism. The U.S., for example, a haven of pluralism when at its best, takes the very notion of Liberal Democracy to be an absolute good; that people should be free, unless the government has a compelling interest to control them, is an absolute good; freedom to worship, for example, is an absolute good. But in the secular realm, no Ultimate Absolute which unites and unifies all subsidiary goods is postulated in the American ideology. This does not make the ideology without its absolutes.

Ask the most alienated, atheistic, black-beret wearing PoMo artist you can find, whether he believes freedom of expression is an Absolute Good.

PFnV

An excellent post, I'll have to mull it over. But here's something to chew on:

Either absolute truth exists or absolute truth doesnt exist....If absolute truth sometimes exists... then it exists.
But, if absolute truth never exists, then the statement "absolute truth never exists" is always true, which means absolute truth exists.
Therefore, whether absolute truth exists or not, absolute truth exists....
Logical dilemma or paradox ?

I guess it's no sense to think about this, since we don't have an example of a society based on post-modernism, no real truth, and where everything is relative. I personally believe such a society has never existed because it wouldn't be sustainable.

I agree that religious dogma and believing in absolutes pertaining to ethnicity for example are disastrous, but I was referring to absolutes related to ethics, and whether they held up even in a rejection of a belief in a God.

Finally, I want to add that I strongly disagree with postmodern art. I think art that usually resorts to shock or destruction and doesn't even attempt to have meaning, is nothing but junk, but that's just me.

Last edited:
An excellent post, I'll have to mull it over. But here's something to chew on:

Either absolute truth exists or absolute truth doesnt exist....If absolute truth sometimes exists... then it exists.
But, if absolute truth never exists, then the statement "absolute truth never exists" is always true, which means absolute truth exists.
Therefore, whether absolute truth exists or not, absolute truth exists....
Logical dilemma or paradox ?

I guess it's no sense to think about this, since we don't have an example of a society based on post-modernism, no real truth, and where everything is relative. I personally believe such a society has never existed because it wouldn't be sustainable.

I agree that religious dogma and believing in absolutes pertaining to ethnicity for example are disastrous, but I was referring to absolutes related to ethics, and whether they held up even in a rejection of a belief in a God.

Finally, I want to add that I strongly disagree with postmodern art. I think art that usually resorts to shock or destruction and doesn't even attempt to have meaning, is nothing but junk, but that's just me.
You AS-HOLES!
I was reading this thread and I thought I was gonna get some answers to the cosmic questions that have been bugging me lately. I got NOFIN"!
I'll take Norman Rockwell any day.

Good night!

LOL Wistah. "When you can snatch the pebbles from my hand, grasshopper..." Oh never mind, I got nothin.

Mav, I think we're barking up a very aristotelian tree here, as in, "A or Not A" logic. This is pretty much the only way to get anywhere in 99% of endeavors, but I'm wondering if mysticism isn't going to end up being one's last bastion in any religious discussion. I don't mean mysticism pejoratively; I mean that if you take the Truth, try to stuff it into one brain, it doesn't fit, regardless of the nature of the Truth. But Mystics say you can have access to the Truth (God, Nirvana, etc.), but by direct experience rather than by speculative flights.

And now I gotta get to work. Damn ice storm never hit.

PFnV

You AS-HOLES!
I was reading this thread and I thought I was gonna get some answers to the cosmic questions that have been bugging me lately. I got NOFIN"!
I'll take Norman Rockwell any day.

Good night!

But if you think about it, by Mav's argument, the fact you got NOFIN means you've just proven the existence of God. (As long as you don't mean you think you got nofin, or you got almost nofin', or you got nofin' relative to someone or something else but not in an absolute sense.)

So cheer up!

PFnV

PS, loosely translated, "I got NOFIN'" is what Socrates said is the beginning of wisdom.

Okay. Because work let me go at 2, I am gonna wade right into this now, Maverick....

Right, I see where we're going, where the notion is "Absolute Truth," and we are working within the framework of logic -- which is a very good thing, in many ways -- and coming to the conclusion that any statement which posits anything can be either true or not true, and that in not being true, it is therefore false, and that, this being the case, we have proven absolute truth to exist. Now I also understand that we're doing this in the "logic capsule," i.e., in pure terminology, because if we get caught up in the details, we'll surely F up the underlying argument.

But I look as logic as limited, in the same way (for example) Newtonian physics is limited. Newton is fine from Virginia to Massachusetts, but if you're planning a trip to, say, Alpha Centauri, you really want Einstein involved (relativity vs. classical physics.) This is only to say that logic is most useful for many things, because it is a very satisfying model. In pragmatic terms, what we do is create and respond to models, or if you like, metaphors.

For example, if I say "bird", the word "bird" is not really the bird. We'll leave alone what is meant by "bird," in terms of the many kinds of bird that fit into "birdness." I mean only to specify that my term "bird" is not the bird itself. It is a metaphor for the thing itself, and when I describe these metaphors as interacting, the system is a model of the world, not the world itself.

These symbols, which we confuse with their real referents, are absolutely crucial to thought and language. The various categories, which consist of similarities we notice in or impose upon classes of metaphors (such as "songbirds," "verbs," or "habitable planets," create groupings of metaphors, which we can manipulate by assigning characteristics ("songbirds are usually under three pounds in weight,") or making predictions regarding their nature ("A habitable planet will become uninhabitable whenever it drifts 100,000 miles closer to the star it orbits.") When we have established enough such rules, sets, and characteristics, we say we know something... and in effect, we do. We know the results of actions we can undertake by accumulating and manipulating these symbols of our world. But we really know about our world. We know collections of symbols and operations.

So the mystic says, "see here. The symbol of the bird is not the thing in itself. One can only experience it by experiencing it; and even then, one only knows one moment's experience of birdness from one vantage point." Some add that all these vantage points are in fact illusory, while others claim they are all that matter. But not to get too deep in the weeds (or we'll never come out,) the point I am making here, is that the manipulations of the symbols derived from the world -- empirical data, such as the rate at which objects fall -- is the only kind of knowledge we can create via science. The "suchness" of the world -- the direct experience -- is left to poets and mystics. It may indeed be this "suchness of all that exists" that one can look at as the Divine -- although in the West we tend to insist the Divine think and act rather anthropomophically.

Perhaps this "All" is in some way conscious; perhaps God is creation, and "creation" as we think of it, is the result of conscious and cut-off minds experiencing separate vantage points of the "great thought." Perhaps, God is a verb.

By the way, I am convinced that no word precisely represents the thought it is meant to, and that in any event, any thought smaller than the All is illusory (but the best we can do, given the world as we experience it.) In that way, anything we say to one another is a lie. But these are good lies; they are the little, divided-off truths that make life worth living.

Or, as a far brighter light than I once put it,

"It is what it is."

PFnV

But if you think about it, by Mav's argument, the fact you got NOFIN means you've just proven the existence of God. (As long as you don't mean you think you got nofin, or you got almost nofin', or you got nofin' relative to someone or something else but not in an absolute sense.)

So cheer up!

PFnV

PS, loosely translated, "I got NOFIN'" is what Socrates said is the beginning of wisdom.
Aristotle my arse!
He stole that line from Billy Preston.
"Nofin from nofin leaves nofin"....

While it easiest to equate religion to a belief in a "supernatural" that is not always the case, but since the majority of religions are based around the supernatural, I'll use that as the basis of any debate.
Well, considering you

A) Don't understand what the majority of religions teach
B) Don't understand the proper usage of the word "supernatural" or
C) All of the above

then it is unfortunate that the basis of your contention revolves around that word.

PFnV, I agree with your statements about logic as well as the limitedness of words/concepts, which is why I do not see how an individual can completely reject all concepts of God.

PFnV, I agree with your statements about logic as well as the limitedness of words/concepts, which is why I do not see how an individual can completely reject all concepts of God.

I think we're having a heated agreement.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back