PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opinion: Pats not drafting Dominique Easley

Note that the discussion about Easley has moved considerably in this thread. The OP started with "Pats not drafting Dominique Easley", which was modified to "Opinion: Pats not drafting Dominique Easley" based on statements he made about not liking to watch football recreationally and liking cartoons. Now it's turned into a question of how early the Pats should consider drafting Easley based on his ACL injury history and risk calculus.

Yeah, I changed the thread title because I thought it made it sound like there was news to report, when there clearly isn't. And discussion always has a tendency to drift around these parts. :)

I'm all for doing diligence. I'm all for factoring risk factors and other considerations into one's overall draft grade. What irks me is blanket statements like "the Pats won't take Easley because he watches cartoons and doesn't take football seriously" or "the Pats won't take Easley because he has had 2 ACL injuries". Those kind of blanket statements seem premature, and counter-productive.

We all have our own tea leaves to read and our own "3rd-rail" issues, which makes for a lot of interesting mocks! And I don't think you and I are terribly far apart on Easley. But fwiw I wasn't exaggerating too much with the 5x risk assessement for reinjury, given that he's already suffered TWO tears not one like the typical research subject, and that he has additional factors for elevated risk. Plus early arthritis is part of the risk, along with reinjury. But as I said, even that 5x would still be comfortably < 50% chance.

Easley was utterly relentless in 2013 and displayed perhaps the best motor in college football. He never quit on plays and was always around the ball.

Neat trick from the Hospital bed. ;)

You guys are drooling over a guy who has missed significant time and has blown out both knees.

Even if he was healthy, he probably wouldn't be a first round pick (tweener size and plays out of control). Now he's coming off a bad injury and people still think he's a 2nd rounder???

3rd-4th rounder at best IMO.

I was high on Easley until I learned about his cartoon interview. That really turned me off of him as an option. However, since learning he is infact dedicated to film study (which was my big concern) I have warmed up to them.

Voted a team captain is nice too but not as important to me. As long as you are a reasonably good person if you are one of the top players on your college team you will likely be voted team a team captain.

His knees are an issue but his talent is clealy first round level if healthy. I put him at about pick 45 for value correctly which is about double where he should be due to his knee issues.

I was high on Easley until I learned about his cartoon interview. That really turned me off of him as an option. However, since learning he is infact dedicated to film study (which was my big concern) I have warmed up to them.

Voted a team captain is nice too but not as important to me. As long as you are a reasonably good person if you are one of the top players on your college team you will likely be voted team a team captain.

His knees are an issue but his talent is clealy first round level if healthy. I put him at about pick 45 for value correctly which is about double where he should be due to his knee issues.

I put him at about pick 45 if he hadn't blown out his knee.

With 2 knee injuries, I put him way lower than that.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back