PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Only One Offense first NFL team Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weak REAL WEAK. I seem to remember SF D getting three turnovers? and NO having a Weak defense but Rationalize away. The Giants shut down the Vaunted GB Offense. The Ravens D forced Yates into three turnovers and shut him down.
I'm going to the gym i don't have time to argue with people over something as obvious as this

Rationalize Away

Yeah, what have we been telling you?

Turnovers matter.

If you would stop with the nonsense about defense wins championchips, you would grasp what we have been telling you is fact.

Giants and Patriots are offense first teams

Ravens and 49ers are defense first teams

It's 2-2, and 1-1 in each conference championship game.

yes....interestingly enough, though, it was the defense of both the giants and the pats that had people buzzing.....we knew how the giants can operate....show up big with a million sacks one week, to letting rex grossman rip them apart the next. the one thing tht nobody knew and, to be honest was quite shocking to me, was the appearance of a total lack of regard for the broncos offensive abilities.....the DL was waving OL's around like wet towels.....the DL wore their OL down to the point that gerard warren looked like he was 24 years old in the 2nd half. and that kind of game by an old vet can only infect guys like love and deaderick...we have a rotation of 5 big bodies (warren, wilfork, ellis, deaderick, love) who for the first time ALL looked effective at the same time....that's alot of meat for a team like the ravens to digest......now if we were talking the packers or the saints, this may not be the optimal group for dealing with them, but the ravens? what will they do if they can't get rice going? everyone remaining (to a lesser degree the giants) need the running game, or they have no chance.

Re: How is it possible for a journalist to be this bad?

so i was reading an article:

Joe Posnanski » Posts Offense First «

out of curiosity....the article forgets to mention what we ranked as PA this past year

if it is about 16th, which is what my memory tells me....his argument is bankrupt

My bet is that he wrote the article assuming they were last or second to last, then his editor/fact check looked it up and found out that they were 16th, and decided just to omit that RELATIVELY IMPORTANT piece of information.

I read that article, and two things jumped out at me.

1) He never bothered to mention that the Pats were 15th in his only defensive criteria, points against ... probably because it isn't really "lousy."

2) The Pats gave up 3.6 points/game less than the defensive juggernaut Giants.

Yeah, great reasoning. :rolleyes:.

great minds think alike haha

This is just a common sense one. The Giants are the unique team in the playoffs, because they're pretty balanced on both sides of the ball. Clearly, they have a pretty beast D, who - despite season long stats - key a lot of their wins and can wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

They are also lucky enough to have a great QB who has plenty of weapons.

To classify them as "offense first" in the same sense as the Saints, Patriots & Packers is a mischaracterization, imo.

This is just a common sense one. The Giants are the unique team in the playoffs, because they're pretty balanced on both sides of the ball. Clearly, they have a pretty beast D, who - despite season long stats - key a lot of their wins and can wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

They are also lucky enough to have a great QB who has plenty of weapons.

To classify them as "offense first" in the same sense as the Saints, Patriots & Packers is a mischaracterization, imo.

the giants defense is also very jekyll and hyde.....the need pressure intense enough to get the QB to take his eyes off his primary targets......the giants coverage is poor

What team leads the league in best post season defense in the following catergories?

a) Total yards per game?

b) passing yards per game?

c) first downs allowed per game?

d) points per game allowed?

Anyone? Anyone?

What team leads the league in best post season defense in the following catergories?

a) Total yards per game?

b) passing yards per game?

c) first downs allowed per game?

d) points per game allowed?

Anyone? Anyone?

Me Me Me Me...the Packers?:D

The question is WHY defense wins Championships (and playoff games).

I think the answer is that intensity and adrenaline helps a defense more than an offense.

I love how suddenly the Giants are defensive juggernauts. Their defense was on par or worse than the Patriots through the entire regular season depending on what stats you look at. The power of the media.

Last edited:
I don't know how to rate NY's defense, because it looked to me like GB were beating themselves on D, with the drops and overthrown passes. They played similar to the Ravens D against the Texans.

The question is WHY defense wins Championships (and playoff games).

I think the answer is that intensity and adrenaline helps a defense more than an offense.

Also bad weather aids the defense more than the offense, and bad weather is more prevelant in the post-season than regular season.

So much of the mediot schitck is based on the concept of "pressure". The Giants are suddenly great because of "pressure". It's that concept that will still have posters wailing about why we didn't take Clay Matthews.

The reality is defense never wins championchips.

A great defensive gameplan helps to win championchips.

Besides, didn't Pittsburgh have an elite, shutdown defense? What happened there?

Cincy anyone?

Myself and others have been pointing this out, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I hope TB and the Pats can pull this off, they are the last of the high powered offense limited defense teams left, the three others SF NYG and Ravens are all defensive minded, although the Pats defense Has gotten better.

Joe Posnanski » Posts Offense First «

History does not favor a Super Bowl win for Tom Brady and the Patriots. (AP)

The New England Patriots are trying to do something that, best I can tell, has never been done in NFL history. They are trying to become the first outdoor team to win a Super Bowl with a great offense and a lousy defense, at least by the statistics. I have no idea if they can pull it off.

In looking back through the Super Bowl years, it seems that only two teams — the 2009 Saints and the 2006 Colts — have won a Super Bowl with a statistically great offense and a statistically lousy defense. I’ll use points scored and points allowed as a simple barometer for offense and defense*.

Sorry, No. It merely says that the two highest rated Defenses, Steelers and Texans, and the two most highly rated Offenses, Saints and Packers, have been eliminated, in this win or done Tourney.

Here is a shocking statistic:

Of the 8 teams with the highest net points all 8 made the playoffs.

Facts get in the way here at patsfans.com.

I agree with your analysis.

The giants are a team that relies on its offense much more than its defense.
That is why many here would prefer to play the 49ers. We don't particularly want to play against a top offense. We'd rather test our offense against the best defense in the nfl. I agree with that choice.

Many are in denial or see something different than we do. The giants that have won for the last month have a potent offense.

No you are the one ignoring Facts.

Fact: In terms of points, the Giants offense is ranked 9th, the defense is ranked 25th.

Fact: In terms of yards, the Giants offense is ranked 8th, the defense is ranked 27th.

Any way you slice it there are two teams (or half) that have a better offense than defense.

That is the FACT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye