PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"On Schedule"

archstanton543

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I've been watching, reading and listening about football since the early 90's. I've never heard that term before this year. Now everyone from podcasters, game announcers and writers are using it like its going out of style.

Is it a social media thing? I don't do X or anything like that.

Used like "as planned" or "as expected," mostly to denote that there are no major timeline setbacks in whatever is being discussed?

I can't remember a time when that wasn't used.

Used like "as planned" or "as expected," mostly to denote that there are no major timeline setbacks in whatever is being discussed?

It's an interesting perspective. I believe I've heard the expression all my life: not sure if the frequency of use has shifted. The one I hate is using "partner" as a verb, and overuse of that precious, prissy goddam word generally. We have the angry college chick/bunboy set to thank for that one, I assume, but now the blowdried CEO types DC hacks are bandying it about as well. Blinky the Wonder Hack, our Sec. of State, hairdo of renown, can't get through a sentence without it. It's a linguistic disease. But we got through that rising final inflection epidemic and that asinine interlude where everyone was appending "not!" to everything, as a sally of prefabricated wit. So we should be fine in the end. ... Not too fond of the "Riiight?" nonsense either, come to think of it. There you have it, a curmudgeon's sunny take of a snowy mornin'.

I've heard it used before in other contexts. In a football context, I've never heard it used so ubiquitously as this year.

It is a term that used to be used far more frequently in the old days when teams fought for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. On offense you want to go from 1st and 10 to 2nd and 6 or 7 to 3rd and 2 or 3 to another first down. That's "on schedule."

Going from 1st and 10 to, say, 2nd and 13 and you are behind schedule. I can't say I've heard it any more this year than in the past, but I haven't really been noticing.

Last edited:
I've heard it used before in other contexts. In a football context, I've never heard it used so ubiquitously as this year.
I think it’s become more popular with QBs like Romo in the booth. They are the ones using it all the time, and he is the biggest culprit.

I've been watching, reading and listening about football since the early 90's. I've never heard that term before this year. Now everyone from podcasters, game announcers and writers are using it like its going out of style.

Is it a social media thing? I don't do X or anything like that.
I can tell you the first time I heard it used was in our own HS coaches meetings a few years ago. We knew that our offense was not explosive and it was important that we stayed "on schedule" and we avoided 3rd and long. We knew a 2 yard run on 1st and a holding penalty on 2nd put us so far off schedule that there was no coming back. I really thought it was an "us" thing, until recently I heard it being used everywhere. I am sure our head coach heard it somewhere first, but it certainly has taken off recently. I did actually pause to think we were trend setters, but, alas, we are just a small NH school no one ever heard about. ;)

Also it’s a terrible outlook on how to play offense. Having a goal of 3rd and short means you need to convert 5,6,7 in a row to score a TD.
Making first downs on 1st or 2nd down is the real gauge of a good offense.

I hear Simms use it a lot to describe throws on schedule (in pocket) and I think off schedule for scramble plays.

the one i hate that some nfl announcers use is "untracked". it means nothing as a regular usage word. not only that,they use it to sub for "on track" which the prefix "un" would suggest that even were it a word,it would NOT mean "on track".

"Roster construction" is being overused. I started hearing this from the NBA a few years ago. Now the NFL is using it.

I kinda think we have seen "on schedule" for some time on boards posting the status of airplanes or busses as an antonym of "delayed," say. Or maybe "on time" was more common?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back