Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In Reiss' article

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

he quotes Flutie

' “I would feel very confident if he became the No. 2 this year. He’s bright and can grasp it all. He can do the things that Tom does mentally. Not everyone can handle that end of it, and I think he can.†-- Doug Flutie on Matt Cassel’s chances of moving from No. 3 to No. 2 on the depth chart'

I wonder if one reason going to Flutie's decision to retire was the idea of
stepping down so Matt could move up to number 2 QB. Just a thought
since Doug seems to think highly of Matt.
BTW, Cassel has the physical ability to go with the mental ability that Doug
mentions. IMO.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
In Reiss' article

he quotes Flutie

' “I would feel very confident if he became the No. 2 this year. He’s bright and can grasp it all. He can do the things that Tom does mentally. Not everyone can handle that end of it, and I think he can.†-- Doug Flutie on Matt Cassel’s chances of moving from No. 3 to No. 2 on the depth chart'

mentions. IMO.
If there is any justification to Flutie comparing the mental part of Cassells game to Brady he will be #2.

JR4 said:
In Reiss' article

he quotes Flutie

mentions. IMO.

You're kidding, right? You seriously think that the self-absorbed Flutie Flake would step down to help another QB? He stepped down because he is a fossil. Yeesh!

Garbanza said:
You're kidding, right? You seriously think that the self-absorbed Flutie Flake would step down to help another QB? He stepped down because he is a fossil. Yeesh!

Amen. All those posters here last year who predicted Flutie would be a cancer to the team were spot on!

He practically ruined the entire organization with his selfishness. They'll have to take the next decade to dig out.

Double Amen, shmessy.

But I don't know if they'll ever recover unless they can find some 'character' and 'team-first' players.......

shmessy said:
Amen. All those posters here last year who predicted Flutie would be a cancer to the team were spot on!

He practically ruined the entire organization with his selfishness. They'll have to take the next decade to dig out.

Pats were lucky. Brady stayed "realtively" healthy. Played well - most of the time- and Flutie was rendered insignificant; except for that contrived drop kick that got him a new SUV at the ESPY'S.

Garbanza's bitter garbage aside, I think he stepped down not so Matt could move up to #2 but because after spending a season observing and interacting with him he knew he would move up to #2. I think he saw the handwriting on the wall in week 17 when Cassel brought the team back against Miami's starters. That would have made Doug the scout QB and #3 inactive and basically disaster insurance only in 2006.

Most players who truly love the game will tell you the only thing that makes the grind of 6 months of practice worth the mental and physical effort is the potential chance to play on Sunday's. When your working your way up in the NFL and trying to make a roster you persevere even when it appears that won't transpire. When you're in the twilight of your career there is no incentive to and that's what usually results in guys hanging it up. Barring a disaster Doug knew there was no shot at seeing the field here. So unless he was into hanging around to cash a paycheck, which he likely equals for ABC/ESPN as a college announcer and analyst, for him it was time to go.

And any veteran we would have brought in could probably see that very same scenario. Most of those remotely worth adding to a roster this season were still looking for a shot at playing time that realistically doesn't exist here. If they bring anyone in now it will be because neither Mortenson or Bramlet shows the ability in TC to develop sufficiently on the roster to serve any purpose. It's basically Mortenson's job to lose since Bramlet likely ends up on the PS anyway. A younger QB with some experience who gets cut in a roster squeeze (Rattay, Hasselbeck, Rohan) or that veteran who is motivated to hang on in any role (Maddox) might then be a late addition as strictly disaster insurance and to handle the practice (scout) snaps.

Or as Mike suggested he could be toying with the idea of saving the roster spot for another use, like carrying a backup PK. That was what Indy used to have to do with that slot. :rolleyes:

oh stop it....and get it right: it's not bitterness, it's a strong dislike. I've witnessed this dude's "shananigans" over the years as well as the media butt-kissing. Just don't care for the man.

Now back to the Patriots:

There is a real need for a back-up, people. Although Cassell showed signs of being a legit back-up last year, who here is really comfortable with him at #2? And, God forbid, Brady goes down for an extended period of time, who here has the upmost confidence on a Pats playoff berth?

Garbanza said:
There is a real need for a back-up, people. Although Cassell showed signs of being a legit back-up last year, who here is really comfortable with him at #2? And, God forbid, Brady goes down for an extended period of time, who here has the upmost confidence on a Pats playoff berth?
I'm as comfortable with Cassel as I would be with Tommy Maddox or any of the other available veterans. Your Brady question would still apply.

Garbanza said:
oh stop it....and get it right: it's not bitterness, it's a strong dislike.

This is a nice definition for the term "splitting hairs".

I guess Al Davis has a "strong dislike" for Walt Coleman.

Comfortable with Cassell? Yes, versus the aforementioned QB's in Reiss' blog that are currently on the FA scrapheap.....Testaverde, Banks, Maddox, etc., ad nauseum.

MoLewisrocks said:
Garbanza's bitter garbage aside, I think he stepped down not so Matt could move up to #2 but because after spending a season observing and interacting with him he knew he would move up to #2. I think he saw the handwriting on the wall in week 17 when Cassel brought the team back against Miami's starters. That would have made Doug the scout QB and #3 inactive and basically disaster insurance only in 2006.

Most players who truly love the game will tell you the only thing that makes the grind of 6 months of practice worth the mental and physical effort is the potential chance to play on Sunday's. When your working your way up in the NFL and trying to make a roster you persevere even when it appears that won't transpire. When you're in the twilight of your career there is no incentive to and that's what usually results in guys hanging it up. Barring a disaster Doug knew there was no shot at seeing the field here. So unless he was into hanging around to cash a paycheck, which he likely equals for ABC/ESPN as a college announcer and analyst, for him it was time to go.

And any veteran we would have brought in could probably see that very same scenario. Most of those remotely worth adding to a roster this season were still looking for a shot at playing time that realistically doesn't exist here. If they bring anyone in now it will be because neither Mortenson or Bramlet shows the ability in TC to develop sufficiently on the roster to serve any purpose. It's basically Mortenson's job to lose since Bramlet likely ends up on the PS anyway. A younger QB with some experience who gets cut in a roster squeeze (Rattay, Hasselbeck, Rohan) or that veteran who is motivated to hang on in any role (Maddox) might then be a late addition as strictly disaster insurance and to handle the practice (scout) snaps.

Or as Mike suggested he could be toying with the idea of saving the roster spot for another use, like carrying a backup PK. That was what Indy used to have to do with that slot. :rolleyes:

Garanza is just an anti-BC guy. Hopefully Cassel can take the two spot (although I think he'd be great trade bait for a high draft pick someday).

MoLewisrocks said:
.... And any veteran we would have brought in could probably see that very same scenario. Most of those remotely worth adding to a roster this season were still looking for a shot at playing time that realistically doesn't exist here. If they bring anyone in now it will be because neither Mortenson or Bramlet shows the ability in TC to develop sufficiently on the roster to serve any purpose. ....

Interesting ray of light on a subject we kicked around here at some length - the incoming vet QB.

Not only may Belioli not see the need for one (yet) ... but any vet whom you'd prefer under center
after Matt bites the dust than Troy or Kevin ... probably is reluctant to come here
with only a faint prospect of playing, at #3.

Garbanza said:
oh stop it....and get it right: it's not bitterness, it's a strong dislike. I've witnessed this dude's "shananigans" over the years as well as the media butt-kissing. Just don't care for the man.

Another brilliant post from the irrational

Shenanigans?........that's one of my favorite cereals. Even more than the deceitful Flutie Flakes.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Another brilliant post from the irrational

Please.....it's my opinion, I think he's a schmuck. Is it okay to have an opinion on a messageboard? LOL!

And an example of "irrational" would be people saying that Ty Law would not improve the Pats secondary....or saying that there is real comfort in knowing that Cassell will be the Pats QB. However, with the lack of quality of avaialble QB's......eeek! Cassell could very well be the Pats best option at #2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents