PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OK...It's THAT time again...Who are the final 21 cuts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OK... Its THAT time again... Who are the final 21 cuts....

I think Willie Andrews makes the team for ST purposes, then develops into a backup safety. He had one bad whiff tonight (on Shockey?) but overall has looked decent this preseason on D.

Tough decision between Mitchell and Andrews.

Andrews is a lock. He's not in any jeopardy whatsoever. He's made a big jump, according to BB (and the PFW guys have mentioned it a few times, as well). Andrews is going to see action with the regular D. Mel Mitchell is an S/T guy only. I think his big competition is Wesley (who had a great game tonight, apparently) and Rasha Baker.

The PFW guys suggest Elgin needs more time in the weight room and is unlikely to make the 53, but a lock for the PS if he doesn't get picked up.

I think Willie Andrews makes the team for ST purposes, then develops into a backup safety. He had one bad whiff tonight (on Shockey?) but overall has looked decent this preseason on D.

Willie Andrews has ALREADY developed into a backup safety - he is going to see a good share of time. He's a 45-man active roster guy, for sure.

Last edited:

Andrews is a lock. He's not in any jeopardy whatsoever. He's made a big jump, according to BB (and the PFW guys have mentioned it a few times, as well). Andrews is going to see action with the regular D. Mel Mitchell is an S/T guy only. I think his big competition is Wesley (who had a great game tonight, apparently) and Rasha Baker.

Agreed on Andrews and now also with Wesley. Keeping them offsets any loss we might have with letting go of Mitchell. Both Andrews and Wesley are great at STs, and they have shown that they can play defense. I don't recall seeing Mitchell doing anything on defense.

Lua had looked pretty bad against the run at times.. tossed around like a ragdoll
Well, we can say the same thing about Tedy Bruschi at time. And yes, Lua was blown up the first play of the game, but he also stood up Chris Snee at the LOS on a subsequent running play - the same play that led to his injury. In between his first and last plays, he was also in on a tackle for a one or two yard gain and stripped a TE of a completion.

Is Childress eligible for the PS squad?

I thought he used up his PS eligibility?
Not eligible unless they changed the rules. It used to be two years only, but that was when there was a 6-man squad. When they changed it to 8, they may have added a year of eligibility.

Not eligible unless they changed the rules. It used to be two years only, but that was when there was a 6-man squad. When they changed it to 8, they may have added a year of eligibility.

They added a third year, if the roster stays at 53 "at all times."

Mel Mitchell is an S/T guy only.

You might want to look at the goal line stand from the first quarter and see who had penetrated into the backfield and disrupted running plays against their first unit.

Mel Mitchell is NOT a S/T only guy. He was a more than capable replacement when he played for New Orleans and he started several games.

This is the first I've heard of that, I'd thought he was brought in due to his S/T prowess and that as a guy in the regular D it would be in case of emergency only. The fact that he made a nice play in a pre-season game against other 3rd-stringers, when our depth had to play in regular formations out of necessity isn't all that convincing.

The fact that he made a nice play in a pre-season game against other 3rd-stringers, when our depth had to play in regular formations out of necessity isn't all that convincing.

No, Mitchell had a nice series, as in more than one play during the goal line stand, against the Giants' first unit (Manning, Jacobs, McKenzie, Diehl, Snee, et al.) and not their "3-rd stringers." Said this, DaBruinz just might be right and Mitchell might end up on PS if he's eligible. But to suggest that Andrews, a ST contributor and back-up DB, is a "lock" over Mitchell, another ST contributor and back-up DB, is stretching it a bit. They both played well tonight.

According to NFL.com, Kareem was inactive tonight with all the other top guys. Probably very good news for him as far as making the team.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/29501/NE_Gamebook.pdf

Actually, Brown didn't dress, suggesting he's "injured." Wouldn't be suprised if he lands on IR next to Lua. Then, Thomas then gets the last D-line spot, and Seymour comes off the PUP list.

don't they have to cut 22??? 66 to 54?? OR am I missing something...

don't they have to cut 22??? 66 to 54?? OR am I missing something...

Actually, its 75 to 54. They had already cut Patrick, the O-lineman from Nebraska.

But, whether its 21 or 22 doesn't matter. What matters is what the moves will be. There are a lot of questions. Especially with the players who came up lame, like Lua, Hochstein, and Kight.

They have to get to 54 by Saturday at 4 p.m., and tro 53 by Monday, Sept. 10.

At this point, we have 75 players on the roster, so we have to make 21 moves by Saturday.

They have to get to 54 by Saturday at 4 p.m., and tro 53 by Monday, Sept. 10.

At this point, we have 75 players on the roster, so we have to make 21 moves by Saturday.

Two minor points to add:

(1) The limit is 53 active players + Samuel. If the Pats want to play Samuel against the JEST, then they have to cut one of the other 53 to do it.

(2) Properly speaking, it's not 21 cuts, it's, as you suggest, 21 moves, including moving additional players to IR and/or PUP, as appropriate. My guess is that Dave Thomas moves to PUP, Seymour does not, and that Lua and Kight end up on IR, while they try to keep Hochstein off IR if they can.

I don't see not dressing for the game as an indication that rookies have made the team. Meriweather played most of the game last night, is he on the bubble?

I don't see not dressing for the game as an indication that rookies have made the team. Meriweather played most of the game last night, is he on the bubble?

No, he was being moved from corner to safety thanks to Asante coming back and they wanted to get him some playing time there.

If a rookie didn't dress for the game, then there are only 2 possibilities:

1) The player was too hurt to play (cut or IR)
2) The player has already proven enough to make the roster

One other possiblility that is quite far-fetched IMO:
3) The player has failed miserably enough that there is no need to see any more of him... but if so, he would have just been cut already.

So yes, I agree with those who say that rookies who didn't dress have already made the team (unless they are IR'd due to injury)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft