PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-camp 53-man Roster Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
53 spots doesn't stretch as far as it used to....

QB BRADY, Cassel
LWR MOSS, BROWN
RWR Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney
LT Light
LG Mankins, Yates
C Koppen, Hochstein
RG Neal
RT O'Callaghan, Oldenburg
TE Watson, Thomas, BRADY
FB Evans, Mills
RB Maroney, FAULK, MORRIS
LDE Warren, Wright
NT Wilfork, Smith
RDE Seymour, Green, Brown
LOLB COLVIN, Woods
LILB BRUSCHI, Alexander
RILB SEAU, Lua, IZZO
ROLB THOMAS VRABEL
LCB Samuel, Gay, JAMES
SS HARRISON, Sanders, HAWKINS
FS Wilson, Meriweather, Andrews
RCB Hobbs, SCOTT
P MILLER
PK Gostkowski
LS Paxton

Practice Squad - Kight (WR), Corey Hilliard (OL), Justise Hairston (RB), Quantrill Hill (FB), Mays (LB - Not sure he is still elligible for PS…), Bissinger (LB), Justin Rogers (LB), Mike Richardson (CB)

Cuts - Kelly Washington, Caldwell, Mike Elgin, Kaczur, Quantrill Hill, Hawkins,Mitchell, Chad Brown
PUP Chad Jackson
Predictions are always interesting..and it is VERY hard to predict..even with a "NO INJURY" camp...MANY variables. Just looking at numbers..I do think they would keep another OL, another receiver AND there is NO WAY they would keep 2 QBs and NOT 1 on the PSquad...THAT I would really doubt. yes, there was a stretch last year between O'Sullivans removal from PSquad and VinnieT's arrival, but I just think the team would not start that way. With TroyB on the team and Thomas possible at safety...I'd not have 11 DBs. Five wides is very slim given that Troy is versatile and the 3rd QB and recovering from knee surgery and Stallworth has durability questions. I would definitely add a player there. The PSquad may have some really stiff competition and the future possibles may have a real impact in it.

Predictions are always interesting..and it is VERY hard to predict..even with a "NO INJURY" camp...MANY variables. Just looking at numbers..I do think they would keep another OL, another receiver AND there is NO WAY they would keep 2 QBs and NOT 1 on the PSquad...THAT I would really doubt. yes, there was a stretch last year between O'Sullivans removal from PSquad and VinnieT's arrival, but I just think the team would not start that way. With TroyB on the team and Thomas possible at safety...I'd not have 11 DBs. Five wides is very slim given that Troy is versatile and the 3rd QB and recovering from knee surgery and Stallworth has durability questions. I would definitely add a player there. The PSquad may have some really stiff competition and the future possibles may have a real impact in it.

It is a good point about the QB, I thought about it last night. Gutierrez will take one of the PS spots. The last 4-5 spots will mostly be for special teams, if one of the WRs shows something on kickoff coverage (Washington) they could take Hawkins spot.

BB likes his competition, and there will be a lot of it this year.

Miguel- Thank you for updating the free agency page with Yates' new contract info. I use both the free agent and salary cap pages all time, it is by far the best I have seen on the web. Really nice work.

Last edited:
Didn't they sign Testeverde too? Though I wonder if that's a situation where he gets paid upfront - is cut and makes a "personal" decision that he only wants to play for BB and is brought back later in the season like BB did last year when he wants the security of 3 QBs.

Given the amount of depth we have at other positions I really don't see the point of carrying 3 QBs out of camp.

I also think that we can and will find a place for 6 WRs - and that rather than cutting some quality players (Caldwell, Gaffney, Washington, assuming everyone's healthy and playing to expectations at WR) there's definately trade potential there.

Rookies have a strong shot in the secondary and at LB - but they should get used to the idea of going to the practice squad. Barring injuries BB was wise to punt draft picks into better value next year.

Looks like we will start with Brady's body language thread again with the above rooster. Even in minicamp Reche and Jabbar were more in sync so i do not see BB throwing Brady in like last year with no player with past experiences in real games. Looking from Wiggins I am not sure about Jabbar as his red zone penalties have been killers in the playoff run.

OL - RT is the only thing that worriess me and also one of the young guys can step in. Light has played good and protect Brady for so long and more over having signed all of them to big contracts i do not thing BB did that on a player he thinks is not of quality.

Q.Hill has been the practice squad over a year and is of good size and player FB/Receiving FB and he is a series threat to Mills.

Last edited:
Q.hill has been the pratice squad over a year and is of good size and player FB/Receiving FB and he is a series threat to Mills.
Actually Hill had only a few weeks on the Squad as he was signed just before the Jets playoff game.

Looks like we will start with Brady's body language thread again with the above rooster. Even in minicamp Reche and Jabbar were more in sync so i do not see BB throwing Brady in like last year with no player with past experiences in real games. Looking from Wiggins i am not sure about Jabbar as his red zone penalties have been killers in the playoff run.

OL - RT is the only thing that worries me and also one of the young guys can step in. Light has played good and protect Brady for so long and more over having signed all of them to big contracts i do not thing BB did that on a player he thinks is not of quality.

Q.Hill has been the practice squad over a year and is of good size and player FB/Receiving FB and he is a series threat to Mills.

Quadtrine Hill was on the practice squad for about two weeks at the end of last year. Not "over a year."

Re: Pre-camp 53 Man Roster Prediction

It was posted to create a dialog on what the roster may look like. I put my down on paper, where is yours?

QB Brady, Cassel

WR Moss, Brown, Stallworth, Welker, Caldwell

OL Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Hochstein , O'Callaghan, Yates, (one of Britt/Oldenburg)

TE Watson, Thomas, BRADY

FB Evans, Mills

RB Maroney, Faulk, MORRIS

DL Warren, Wright, Wilfork, Smith, Seymour, Green, Brown

LB Colvin, Thomas, Vrabel, Bruschi, Woods, Seau, Brown, Lua, Mays, (one of Izzo/Alexander)

CB Samuel, Gay, Hobbs, Andrews, (one of Scott/James)

S Harrison, Sanders, Wilson, Meriweather

P MILLER
PK Gostkowski
LS Paxton

QB Brady, Cassel

WR Moss, Brown, Stallworth, Welker, Caldwell

OL Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Hochstein , O'Callaghan, Yates, (one of Britt/Oldenburg)

TE Watson, Thomas, BRADY

FB Evans, Mills

RB Maroney, Faulk, MORRIS

DL Warren, Wright, Wilfork, Smith, Seymour, Green, Brown

LB Colvin, Thomas, Vrabel, Bruschi, Woods, Seau, Brown, Lua, Mays, (one of Izzo/Alexander)

CB Samuel, Gay, Hobbs, Andrews, (one of Scott/James)

S Harrison, Sanders, Wilson, Meriweather

P MILLER
PK Gostkowski
LS Paxton

Looks pretty solid to me, nice job. I added more DBs because we tend to go through them like mad but I would be happy with this sqaud.

Looks pretty solid to me, nice job. I added more DBs because we tend to go through them like mad but I would be happy with this sqaud.
Of course, every training camp a player comes out of nowhere (late round/UDFA) and screws up all my figuring.

Interesting battle to me will be Caldwell/Gaffney. Caldwell was a solid player all year who slumped a bit in playoffs. Gaffney was mediocre who played his best in playoffs. Every player goes through slumps, even Brady. Will Caldwell bounce back? Was Gaffney's three good games (21 receptions in three games) a fluke due to teams taking Caldwell out of the picture, or did he "get it" finally? We'll know by September which player is more likely to be an asset in 2007.

Re: Pre-camp 53-man Roster Prediction (Updated 8/2/07)

Updated near the completion of the first week of training camp. Based on reports, rumors and gut feel, the really hard cuts will come if/ when Troy Brown, Dave Thomas and Samuel return the roster.

QB BRADY, Cassel - 2
LWR MOSS, Caldwell - 2
RWR Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney - 3
LT Light, Kaczur - 2
LG Mankins, Yates - 2
C Koppen, Hochstein - 2
RG Neal - 1
RT O'Callaghan, Clint Oldenburg - 2
TE Watson, BRADY - 2
FB Evans, Mills - 2
RB Maroney, FAULK, MORRIS - 3
LDE Warren, Wright - 2
NT Wilfork, Smith - 2
RDE Seymour, Green, Brown - 3
LOLB COLVIN, Woods - 2
LILB BRUSCHI, Alexander - 2
RILB SEAU, IZZO Mays - 3
ROLB THOMAS VRABEL - 2
LCB Gay, JAMES - 2
SS HARRISON, Sanders, Mitchell - 3
FS Wilson, HAWKINS Andrews - 3
RCB Hobbs, Brandon Meriweather, Richardson - 3
P MILLER - 1
PK Gostkowski - 1
LS Paxton - 1

Practice Squad - Kight (WR), Britt (OL), Lua (LB), Justin Rogers (LB), Matt Gutierrez (QB),Mike Elgin (OL), Gemara Williams (CB), Open Spot (TE)

Bubble Cuts - Kelly Washington, Chad Brown, Britt
PUP - Chad Jackson, TROY BROWN, Thomas, Hilliard
IR - SCOTT, Hairston
Shadow - VINNIE T.
Not Signed - Samuel

I really would hope Kelly Washington would emerge, but Gaffney sounds like he is shining.. I think Donte Stallworth better get on the field ASAP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back