PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason Ironmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Reading through Reiss's recent camp notes, he posts the names of the offseason heroes. These are the guys who get the special parking spaces, and (apparently) the music off their IPods is getting piped over the sound system during practices. Hard to understate how important this is internally to the team.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Reiss said:
The 2006 winners:

Quarterback Tom Brady
Linebacker Tedy Bruschi
Linebacker Don Davis
Offensive lineman Russ Hochstein
Punter Josh Miller
Running back Kevin Faulk
Safety James Sanders
Tight end Benjamin Watson
Defensive lineman Mike Wright

To me, I read this list and, based on what I know having observed Belichick over time, I think it's fair to think that all these guys, barring injury, are locks to make the final roster-- including Davis and Wright who I had as bubble players.

Why? Because there is nothing that BB admires more in a player than work ethic. He wants to have a team full of overachievers-- even if they never make the active roster-- because it sets a tone in practice, during the week, during the game. BB's selection criteria for his final roster will include "unmeasurable" things like hard work. And the fact that guys like Troy, Cassel and Colin aren't on the list means that these guys must have had really special offseasons.

This is the type of stuff that explains how apparently mediocre players like Faulk, Hochstein, Davis and Wright have such incredible staying power under the BB regime.

I think Klecko is competing with Wright for a roster spot. Barry Gardner may be in the hunt with Don Davis for the same ST spot. Laying odds on the 53-man, I'd say I'd need to adjust my handicapping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Davis is the MAN! He will definitely make the team, definitely.

In the summer of 2003 my kids summer camp (4,5 year olds ) was able to get a private tour of Gillette stadium through a connection in the school (because they don't give public tours). On these these trips they sometimes look for parent volunteers so naturally I was first in line to volunteer. The highlight of the tour was going to be the Patriots locker room. We weren't going to get to go in but only peek around the corner. (ironically they let us walk into the Revolution locker room and kids were literally stepping over jockstraps and could have grabbed anything from the lockers). well it was a brutally hot day and when the guy giving the tour went to make sure the coast was clear in the locker room he said we would have to wait because there was actually one Patriot player changing in the locker room. The guy seemed real nervous. So obviously I asked the guy which Patriot player was in the locker room on this brutally hot morning. He squeeked "Tom Brady". Well at this point all the kids and parents were clammering for the tour guy to ask Brady to come out and say hi to the kids. Alas he seemed too nervous that he was going to get in trouble so he wouldn't do it (damm company man). So we waied until the locker room was clear and we got our peek. From that day on I realized that Bradys success was no accident . He will outwork and out hustle you even if it means he is the only one of his teamates working out. He'll win that parking spot every year.

rookBoston said:
This is the type of stuff that explains how apparently mediocre players like Faulk, Hochstein, Davis and Wright have such incredible staying power under the BB regime.

For the first two, it couldn't have anything to do with them being one of the best third down backs in the league and a very serviceable guard/center who could start on most lines, could it?

drew4008 said:
Don Davis is the MAN! He will definitely make the team, definitely.

I actually hope this means that DD is gearing up for his new career as an asst. strength coach. Because as a football player, he is a great weightlifter.
Re: Mike Wright, I hope he has the chance to play DE, his natural college position. Because as a NT, he is a potentially good DE.

primetime said:
For the first two, it couldn't have anything to do with them being one of the best third down backs in the league and a very serviceable guard/center who could start on most lines, could it?

Were you around two years ago, before Faulk got his contract extension, when everyone on this board was saying "Fumble Faulk has to go!"? He and David Patten were the two popular favorites for the axe. Now, by your own assessment, he's one of the best third down backs in the league. He hasn't always been... which is precisely my point.

Further: Hochstein wasn't very servicable when he started here. He's made himself servicable... again, that's a skill that BB values and recognizes.

Neither one was anything special two years ago. What kept them around was-- and BB is always talking about this-- their willingless and ability to improve themselves.

Not every coaching staff is as willing to carry "low talent" players with a high work ethic long enough to have those players pay off for the team.

Drewwho said:
Define 'special'????

Calling these guys "hard working" on a team of hardworkers is like giving an award to the smartest guy in the Harvard Physics department, or an award to the most athletic guy in the Olympic Games. That's what I mean by special.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes