PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official List of Historical Teams that 'Ran Up the Score' without Media Whining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: For all those talking about "Running up the score".....

The only real question is when to take the starters out of the game. This is a team decision since they have to balance risk of injury, chance of a comeback, working on game situations, losing intensity, personnel available, etc.

If Belicheck took TB out before the start of the 4th quarter. Brady is ineligible to return to the game if needed. I think BB wouldn't take TB out of a game before the 4th no matter what the score was.

Additionally, I'm tired of this running up the score talk. Running up the score is just an accusatory way to say "Got our *** handed to us". An easy way to blame their professional failings on others.

I've seen the Pats get it handed to them and it hurt a lot. When the Pats got it handed to them - it was their fault for not executing the plays. Not the other teams for doing their job right. I love how my team is playing now. I hated when Shannon Sharpe mocked my team from the sidelines. I hated dances after watching TB get sacked. I hated the "Getcha Popcorn" snarks. Revenge tastes sweet sometimes and I'm going to sit here and enjoy the banquet. If the Pats are treating, I'm eating.

Good point - there is no shortage of hypocracy in any given group of people - however did you find any specific posters in that thread who are talking out of the other side of their mouths now? I'm not saying there are or there aren't any, I'm just asking, because if it's different individuals then it's not hypocracy, is it?

No to be fair I didn't take the time to look, and again its not something that bother me nor do I care, I got tired of people complaining when the Colts were doing it and now people are doing the same thing to the Pats, its like your not supposed to be good or something...anyhow here is to a great game Sunday :eat3:

From http://blog.redskinsgames.com/:

After the game, Gibbs said that he had no problem at all with what the Patriots did. He shouldn’t. In 1991, Gibbs’ Redskins had a comfortable 35-17 lead over the Falcons going into the fourth quarter. Rather than call running plays to kill the clock, Gibbs had Mark Rypien throw the ball. He threw touchdown passes of 82 yards to Gary Clark and of 64 yards to Art Monk. And these weren’t dinky passes with a lot of missed tackles and YAC. They were bombs away. That made it 49-17 and Andre Collins finished off the scoring with a touchdown on a return of Bret Favre’s first NFL pass. Nobody clad in burgundy and gold complained about the score being run up.

You can go back further in the history of the franchise to find more examples of running it up. In 1966 the Redskins held a 69-42 lead over the New York Giants in the last minute of the game. The Giants threw an incomplete pass on fourth down. Someone on the Redskins sideline—legend says it was bitter ex-Giant Sam Huff—wasn’t happy with 69 points and sent in the field goal team to push the score over 70. The Redskins and their fans celebrated being on the winning end of the highest scoring NFL game ever; nobody pointed out the cheap score at the end.

Last edited:

If Belicheck took TB out before the start of the 4th quarter. Brady is ineligible to return to the game if needed. I think BB wouldn't take TB out of a game before the 4th no matter what the score was.

Is that true? I didn't know that!

This one's particularly for the John Clayton-type morons in the world crying for poor little Joe Gibbs...........

"After the game, Gibbs said that he had no problem at all with what the Patriots did. He shouldn’t. In 1991, Gibbs’ Redskins had a comfortable 35-17 lead over the Falcons going into the fourth quarter. Rather than call running plays to kill the clock, Gibbs had Mark Rypien throw the ball. He threw touchdown passes of 82 yards to Gary Clark and of 64 yards to Art Monk. And these weren’t dinky passes with a lot of missed tackles and YAC. They were bombs away. That made it 49-17 and Andre Collins finished off the scoring with a touchdown on a return of Bret Favre’s first NFL pass. Nobody clad in burgundy and gold complained about the score being run up.

You can go back further in the history of the franchise to find more examples of running it up. In 1966 the Redskins held a 69-42 lead over the New York Giants in the last minute of the game. The Giants threw an incomplete pass on fourth down. Someone on the Redskins sideline—legend says it was bitter ex-Giant Sam Huff—wasn’t happy with 69 points and sent in the field goal team to push the score over 70. The Redskins and their fans celebrated being on the winning end of the highest scoring NFL game ever; nobody pointed out the cheap score at the end."

http://redskinsgames.com/blog2/?p=43

Is that true? I didn't know that!

No. I think he is thinking about the third QB rule, if Gutierrez was put into the game BEFORE THE 4th quarter, than both Brady and Cassel would be ineligible to return into the game.

You guys do relize you are giving the pundits exactly what they want they want people ro piss and moan about it because it ups there rating readers or what ever else they are looking for so lets all jsut ignore and let the Pats stomp the teams that can't stop them and work harder to beat the teams that might be able to (colts).

Mark Schlereth is the one who cracks me up on this one. He played for Gibbs so I understand his coach getting embarrassed bothers him. However in one of the Americas Game that the Broncos won he talks about how Miami killed them in one of the final regular season games. The Broncos wanted revenge and crushed the Fins in the playoffs. He was gloating about running up the score on them ten years after the game happened.

They should stop having players be analysts because with very few exceptions they cannot be impartial. It was ok for his team to run it up but now it's run up on his old coach and he cries fowl.

This is the Patriots running it up on every team possible as a pay back. They better all get accustomed to it.

Even his most holy of holinesses, Tom Landry, wasn’t averse to "running up the score" and passing for touchdowns despite massive leads in the 4th qtr. In 1980 against the Seahawks, Dallas passed for a 12 yard touchdown in the 4th with the score 44-0. They had a 30-0 lead going into the 4th quarter and scored 3 more touchdowns, including 2 one yard runs by Dorsett. Why didn’t they let up on the gas? Why didn’t they kick field goals, or better yet, punt? Were they, perhaps, by some definitions “classless”? Oh, wait, no. That term is reserved for those with Flying Elvi on their helmets.

By the way, his most holy of holinesses, Tom Landry, wasn’t averse to running up the score and passing for touchdowns despite massive leads in the 4th qtr. In 1980 against the Seahawks, Dallas passed for a 12 yard touchdown in the 4th with the score 44-0. They had a 30-0 lead going into the 4th quarter and scored 3 more touchdowns, including 2 one yard runs by Dorsett. Why didn’t they let up on the gas? Why didn’t they kick field goals, or better yet, punt? Were they, perhaps, by some definitions “classless”? Oh, wait, no. That term is reserved for those with Flying Elvi on their helmets.

Last edited:

NENGFAN,

WELL SAID!

any team complaining about it can actually DO something about it. The Patriots are standing directly on the opposite side of the field, and actually playing against them.

The question shouldn't be "Are they running up the score or not?"
The question SHOULD be "Who is gunna stop them?"

This one's particularly for the John Clayton-type morons in the world crying for poor little Joe Gibbs...........

"After the game, Gibbs said that he had no problem at all with what the Patriots did. He shouldn’t. In 1991, Gibbs’ Redskins had a comfortable 35-17 lead over the Falcons going into the fourth quarter. Rather than call running plays to kill the clock, Gibbs had Mark Rypien throw the ball. He threw touchdown passes of 82 yards to Gary Clark and of 64 yards to Art Monk. And these weren’t dinky passes with a lot of missed tackles and YAC. They were bombs away. That made it 49-17 and Andre Collins finished off the scoring with a touchdown on a return of Bret Favre’s first NFL pass. Nobody clad in burgundy and gold complained about the score being run up.

You can go back further in the history of the franchise to find more examples of running it up. In 1966 the Redskins held a 69-42 lead over the New York Giants in the last minute of the game. The Giants threw an incomplete pass on fourth down. Someone on the Redskins sideline—legend says it was bitter ex-Giant Sam Huff—wasn’t happy with 69 points and sent in the field goal team to push the score over 70. The Redskins and their fans celebrated being on the winning end of the highest scoring NFL game ever; nobody pointed out the cheap score at the end."

http://redskinsgames.com/blog2/?p=43

I would hardly call an 18 point lead comfortable, I would be still having my team go all out with only an 18 point lead..

Gibbs would get away with it because he is a "nice guy" - same as when Tony Dungy did it. Belichick is not a nice guy- never has been, never will be....and so critics love to rip him at every opportunity.

I would hardly call an 18 point lead comfortable, I would be still having my team go all out with only an 18 point lead..

Your team should always go all out, that's the point. But if you read that, there were two bombs, so he continued to bombs away in the 4th quarter up 25 points. So the garbage being thrown around about the Pats now should really stop. Classy Joe Gibbs played the same way.

No to be fair I didn't take the time to look, and again its not something that bother me nor do I care, I got tired of people complaining when the Colts were doing it and now people are doing the same thing to the Pats, its like your not supposed to be good or something...anyhow here is to a great game Sunday :eat3:

If you're tired of it, then multiply that by 100x and you can imagine how Pats fans feel. The Pats this year have been crucified constantly for doing things that other teams have been praised for throughout NFL history. When the Colts dominated offense in '04, the Manning mania in the press was off the charts. The Pats do the same thing and it's a hanging offense.

Tinfoil helmet types sit in their mom's basements and see conspiracies in every little detail. "Journalists" publish completely fabricated crap about the Pats on page 1 that gets multiplied across the country, only to be retracted and proven false on page 38 2 weeks later. Of course, no one notices or cares.

All the best coaches always tell their teams to execute well, do their jobs, and ignore the score.

This whole controversy thing this year about the Pats is media generated BS. These morons don't care about facts, they have to create a "story" and talk about stars. Notice how they always say "Manning and the Colts" instead of just "the Colts"? The Pats don't fit their cozy little model and it drives them nuts. These same nut jobs spent more time talking about the Pats during the Colts/Jags game than they talked about the Colts or Jags. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I like the title of this thread. Because it is about the media whining. I think the pats should do what they wanna do. The pats should hone and fine tune as they see fit. It is like mediots Ditka and Jackson are suggesting, if teams don't like it then they need to stop it. :cool:

Wow a logical San Diego fan who is not riding the anti-pats bandwagon? Call me shocked! :D

Hear, hear! :eat3:

I'm not sure the bad press about the Colts reached such ridiculous proportions (I wouldn't really know, didn't follow the Colts then), but it's interesting that it's possible to go from bad-guy to good-guy in a few short years. The reverse, obviously, is quite possible...

No. I think he is thinking about the third QB rule, if Gutierrez was put into the game BEFORE THE 4th quarter, than both Brady and Cassel would be ineligible to return into the game.

Thanks for clearing that up. As I understand now, once you put in the EM QB you can't re-insert the starter or 2nd.

NENGFAN,

WELL SAID!

any team complaining about it can actually DO something about it. The Patriots are standing directly on the opposite side of the field, and actually playing against them.

The question shouldn't be "Are they running up the score or not?"
The question SHOULD be "Who is gunna stop them?"

Thanks. It just really amazes me how much people hate the PATS that they think of anything to go after them. This running up the score is the most ludicrous of them all. Its actually funny. Grown men asking the opposing team to show clemency. What is this - 5th Graders vs Kindergarteners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3