PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running up the score

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not being American, this running up the score complaint is baffling to me. I've never heard it in other sports. I don't watch hockey, baseball or basketball so I'm not sure if it's something that's inherent to American sporting culture or just NFL or just the Patriots. Although I think I read something a few years ago about a womens college basketball coach getting sacked for running up the score?

However, on this side of the pond, you play to win. You give 100% from the first minute to the last. If the opposition can't hang then that's their problem. They'll be the ones criticised for not doing their job, the victors would never get criticised for doing what they're meant to do.

I'm sorry, but you know about this too (over here in Europe) and are being intentionally dishonest to try and critique us. (I took it as an attempt at humorous jabbing) ;).

True the scores in question are a lot lower; but you are honestly going to tell me that in 'football' (soccer to us); a team with a 3-0 lead doesnt NORMALLY just sit there and play keep-away normally with the other team to try to run out the clock. That is NOT 100% from first minute to the last. And are you trying to say that the big countries are playing ALL THEIR TOP PLAYERS versus the little tykes??

And are you trying to say this wasn't RUNNING up the score on poor little SAN MARINO or ROMANIA?
[URL]http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/p...tches/round=258374/match=300182312/index.html
[/url]
or
2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil? Preliminaries: Europe - Matches: Moldova 0:5 (0:3) England - FIFA.com
OF COURSE IT IS RUNNING UP THE SCORE!!! GOAL-DIFF matters a lot in seeding or even STAYING HOME.

and Germany has NOT been RUNNING up the score (as much as in the past anyway - last time 2 years ago vs Faroe I think it was like 9-0):
[URL]http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/p...tches/round=258374/match=300182461/index.html[/url]
And as a result; look what happened to them versus Sweden; they blew a 4 goal lead in 30m. :eek:
2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil? Preliminaries: Europe - Matches: Germany 4:4 (3:0) Sweden - FIFA.com

So running up the score is NOT BAD and even MORE ENCOURAGED in soccer than US football and because of that, you are RIGHT in that it is LESS CRITICIZED after the fact.

But that is just because pt-diff is the 2nd tie-breaker instead of being the 5th like in football. so it is a bit more institutionalized in soccer that folks recognize goal-diff is important.

BUT Human nature remains the same. So I guarantee if I went to websites from any of these nations that are not perenniel losers-itsy-bitsy island nations (not faroe/san marino; but rather the romanias) and read their sports pages they would have some complaints about that 5-nil being laid on them.

Not being American, this running up the score complaint is baffling to me. I've never heard it in other sports. I don't watch hockey, baseball or basketball so I'm not sure if it's something that's inherent to American sporting culture or just NFL or just the Patriots. Although I think I read something a few years ago about a womens college basketball coach getting sacked for running up the score?

However, on this side of the pond, you play to win. You give 100% from the first minute to the last. If the opposition can't hang then that's their problem. They'll be the ones criticised for not doing their job, the victors would never get criticised for doing what they're meant to do.

It has more to do with sports than what you're describing. I'll keep this short to avoid having it moved to the Political forum. But, essentially, those whining about running up the score are the same people with the "everyone deserves a trophy" mentality. America is getting to the point where being a clear cut winner is beginning to be looked upon as a bad thing.

Huh? The Ravens going for the fake FG up all those points last week was one of the more hot topics for football talk shows after the games had ended. Same with the Saints stomping the Colts last season.

Agreed, perhaps it's posters here who need to wake up and realize not everyone is against us.

On the topic of running up the score, I still stand by that it's a silly thing to argue. The other team gets paid to stop the offense, if they can't do it then that's their problem. I have no problem with Brady slinging it all game long. No mercy.

When you look a scenario like the Baltimore fake field goal, I don't scratch my head because it's running up the score....I scratch my head because why waste one of your tricks in a worthless situation.

This is so much BULL CRAP it almost makes my head explode. WHERE was the outrage when the Ravens pulled a fake FG when they were up more than 30 a couple of weeks ago. WHERE is the outrage when the Colts had Andrew Luck throwing the ball on every down when they were down by 30 in the 4th quarter. What if HE'D been hurt???? Where is the outrage when with under 30 seconds the Colts padded their rushing stats with 2 runs, when they could have just kneeled down to end the game. What if a player had been hurt on one of those plays? Do you blame the Colts?

This is hypocritical BS pure and simple. Guys like Serby are barely even pretending this isn't just part of an anti-BB anti-Pats agenda. You should have heard Chris Carter last night on the Monday Night pregame, when they were discussing this "issue". He and Tommy boy almost couldn't contain their glee as they hammered the Pats, before rushing off to say something nice about Peyton Manning. :mad:

This is so much BULL CRAP it almost makes my head explode. WHERE was the outrage when the Ravens pulled a fake FG when they were up more than 30 a couple of weeks ago. WHERE is the outrage when the Colts had Andrew Luck throwing the ball on every down when they were down by 30 in the 4th quarter. What if HE'D been hurt???? Where is the outrage when with under 30 seconds the Colts padded their rushing stats with 2 runs, when they could have just kneeled down to end the game. What if a player had been hurt on one of those plays? Do you blame the Colts?

This is hypocritical BS pure and simple. Guys like Serby are barely even pretending this isn't just part of an anti-BB anti-Pats agenda. You should have heard Chris Carter last night on the Monday Night pregame, when they were discussing this "issue". He and Tommy boy almost couldn't contain their glee as they hammered the Pats, before rushing off to say something nice about Peyton Manning. :mad:
Carter continued his rant on M&M this morning. As soon as I heard him use the term "attempt to humiliate", ...click.

As was noted earlier in the thread, the Ravens pulling a fake FG was one of the hot button topics for NFL analysts and talk show hosts earlier last week.

Here in the U.S., most people consider it bad form to grind an obviously defeated opponent's nose into the dirt. It's generally considered poor sportsmanship.

Last edited:
People who complain about getting the score run up on them are afraid of it happening to them. It's just that simple. If you can do it, do it. Like no one ever ran it up against the Pats pre-2001????:rolleyes:

It always seemed to me you keep playing until the game ends. Why expect the team leading in the game to stop playing, while the other team keeps trying to score? It makes no sense to me. If you don't want us to move the ball, put your backup QB in and we will too. But the game is still gonna be played.

Carter continued his rant on M&M this morning. As soon as I heard him use the term "attempt to humiliate", ...click.

I heard that, and he also said something about Gronk being hurt because the Patriots were trying to drive down the field and run up the score, when of course Gronk had been lifted on offense at the beginning of that final scoring drive and was hurt on the PAT. Plus we know from Dungy, Bruschi, and others that coaches never make player substitutions on special teams based on game score. If you are on a ST unit and practiced there all week, you play there, barring injury. period.

So the so-called ESPN football "expert" didn't even have a grasp on what even had happened (Gronk being hurt on the PAT) and yet was offering his blowhard opinion, and nobody was bothering to correct him.

Dennis and Callahan are ignorant blowhards. Why anyone listens to their morning hatefest is beyond me.

There is no such thing as running up the score. Is this a pee wee football league? No, This is the NFL god damnit! I didn't know you're supposed to ease up and allow the other team to try to get back in it. If you can't defend the other football team, then you suck and you deserve to lose by 50 points.

Last edited:
People who complain about getting the score run up on them are afraid of it happening to them. It's just that simple. If you can do it, do it. Like no one ever ran it up against the Pats pre-2001????:rolleyes:
I think I recall a Chicago Bears team do something like that to the New England Patriots in a Superbowl back about 30 years ago or so.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes