PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running up the score

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only 'running up the score' if it's the Pats who do it.

The Ravens going ape5hit on the Raiders, was a 'blowout'. Same for the Texans ripping the Ravens a new one....

:rolleyes:

For some people, the Patriots are the only team who ever has, or will, run up the score.

I was hoping we'd go for a 2 point conversion and make it and even 60...

We should have.... Gronk wouldn't have broken his arm too.... :)

If Gostkowski didn't miss his field goal.. :mad: can we talk about that by the way?? I'm really going to lose my mind if he misses an important field goal in the playoffs.

Keep goin for'da jugular! Pats play their best when their playin aggressive on offense. Why give anyone any chance to comeback not that our secondary doesn't know anything about givin up leads late ( except this week vs Colts) Show NO MERCY and POUND JETS for 60 mins.

Monday Night Countdown talking about the Patriots running up the score. Holy **** it's not that big a deal.

I hope the Pats run up the score on every team they play for the rest of the regular season and throughout this seasons' playoffs.

What's funny is....I didn't feel comfortable with the score until Pats were up by 3 TD's. With the Pats D they should score as many as they can.

Mediots are Jackazzes

Honestly, I'd love to see us break the record while we have the goods.. 73 or something? And against the Jets would be icing on the cake. If that makes me a bad person... so be it. I'll still enjoy every second of it.

Great deadspin article.

I personally think this is a great time to give Ryan Mallett some valuable NFL experience. Bill Belichick disagrees. But is he the only coach who would dare risk his quarterback's health just so he could "run up the score" that late in the game, with such a big lead? Or is he just the only coach who gets criticized for such things?

In Week 4, John Fox still had Peyton Manning on the field in the fourth quarter with a 28-point lead, and Manning was still throwing from a shotgun set with 5:58 left in the game.

In Week 6, Mike McCarthy still had Aaron Rodgers on the field in the fourth quarter with a 25-point lead, and Rodgers was still throwing from a shotgun set with 5:39 left in the game.

In Week 10, Pete Carroll still had Russell Wilson on the field in the fourth quarter with a 21-point lead. That's smaller than the 28-point lead the Patriots had, but Wilson was still in the game in the last two minutes, in the shotgun and passing the ball on fourth-and-3.

Just yesterday, both Drew Brees and Robert Griffin were still in the game late in the fourth quarter. Brees was still passing the ball with a 28-point lead and six minutes left. Griffin was still passing the ball with a 25-point lead and five minutes left.

Dear Insane Patriots Haters: It's Not Bill Belichick's Fault That Rob Gronkowski Broke His Arm

This is the only and acceptable logical answer that makes sense:

Due to the CBA regulations, padded practices have been dramatically reduced to only a small number throughout the year.

Belichick obviously likes to take advantage of the opportunity to use that time as a glorified practice in the hopes of improving upon certain areas.

This is the only and acceptable logical answer that makes sense:

Due to the CBA regulations, padded practices have been dramatically reduced to only a small number throughout the year.

Belichick obviously likes to take advantage of the opportunity to use that time as a glorified practice in the hopes of improving upon certain areas.

This isn't the first year pats have done this. So I doubt this is the answer.

Who cares what anyone other than Pats players, coaches and fans think. It's us against the world :scream: ...........................:)

In the past, I thought that there were many more times when they actually passed up the easy FG, and tried to simply run the ball up the middle on 4th down.

I haven't seen too many clear cut instances of "running up the score" to be honest with you, but this is likely one of the reasons why the starters were still in the game.

They are not allowed to practice in pads more than a handful or so of times, and it gives them the opportunity to still get work done in improving the team overall.

I find it hard to believe that Belichick is really into "running up the score." He's trying to field the best team and improve throughout the year.

That redskins game was pretty brutal in 07 I think Cassel even ended up scoring. And they ran it on 4th down at the 1 against dallas in 07 too.

Huh? The Ravens going for the fake FG up all those points last week was one of the more hot topics for football talk shows after the games had ended. Same with the Saints stomping the Colts last season.

the idiots on ESPN thought the Ravens fake FG was brill and were praising the move for 45 minutes.

I say F everybody. BB does not care what people say and neither should we.

That redskins game was pretty brutal in 07 I think Cassel even ended up scoring. And they ran it on 4th down at the 1 against dallas in 07 too.

Again though---the whole 'what's the better thing to do' debate comes up.

Is it really running up the score more to kick a chip shot FG to guarantee more points, or is considered running up the score to run on 4th down?

Belichick has addressed this issue by stating that he feels that it's much more disrespectful to kick the easy FG, and that most coaches see it his way. I don't know if that's true or not, but the mediots always make a big deal out of nothing. Belichick feels that running the ball on 4th down is the better thing to do, so this may have also been the case in the Cboys 2007 game, I am not sure. Anything in 2007 can probably be considered for some of the games.

I will agree with you that there were some controversial instances in the 2007 season (GFY season) that could be considered running up the score, but there were more issues involved at that time. I haven't seen as many instances at all since then. Even the 59-0 blowout vs TEN was 45-0 at the half IIRC. They took their foot off the gas dramatically in the 2nd half. I think many will argue that they are trying to run up the score just because they didn't pull Brady in the 2nd quarter of that game.

In yesterday's game it was a 3 TD spread with 1/2 a quarter remaining, so I can see Belichick's point that they weren't going to give up until about the 4-5 min mark when they finally scored on the ground again.

the idiots on ESPN thought the Ravens fake FG was brill and were praising the move for 45 minutes.

I say F everybody. BB does not care what people say and neither should we.

I would agree that in many cases Belichick probably doesn't worry about what others will think, but there are certainly some coaches that he is on good terms with that he does care.

I am not sure what the think about the running up the score thing to be honest. I think he needs about a 30 point spread to even consider that in his mind, unless it's an obvious situation like only a few min left in a game.

Either way, he has obviously thought about it before, so there is something to his madness.

It sorta is, Brady just said on the radio on the Monday night pregame that they're always working on things when they're playing, it may not be important for that game but could be down the road in another game.

Again though---the whole 'what's the better thing to do' debate comes up.

Is it really running up the score more to kick a chip shot FG to guarantee more points, or is considered running up the score to run on 4th down?

Belichick has addressed this issue by stating that he feels that it's much more disrespectful to kick the easy FG, and that most coaches see it his way. I don't know if that's true or not, but the mediots always make a big deal out of nothing. Belichick feels that running the ball on 4th down is the better thing to do, so this may have also been the case in the Cboys 2007 game, I am not sure. Anything in 2007 can probably be considered for some of the games.

I will agree with you that there were some controversial instances in the 2007 season (GFY season) that could be considered running up the score, but there were more issues involved at that time. I haven't seen as many instances at all since then. Even the 59-0 blowout vs TEN was 45-0 at the half IIRC. They took their foot off the gas dramatically in the 2nd half. I think many will argue that they are trying to run up the score just because they didn't pull Brady in the 2nd quarter of that game.

In yesterday's game it was a 3 TD spread with 1/2 a quarter remaining, so I can see Belichick's point that they weren't going to give up until about the 4-5 min mark when they finally scored on the ground again.

If the Pats kick the field goal, obviously its running up the score. If they run it on 4th down instead, obviously its running up the score. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News