PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official List of Historical Teams that 'Ran Up the Score' without Media Whining

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said before I don't give a crap about the Pats "running up the score" my question to you all, do any of you get nervous when the game is clearly out of hand and Brady and alot of starters are all out there? I know I would be sweating bullets if Manning was out there throwing the ball and a 38-0 lead and I think I have in the past, it just makes the defense more mad and opens players up for some cheap shots, I would just hate to see any player on any team have a season ending injury during "garbage time"

I have said before I don't give a crap about the Pats "running up the score" my question to you all, do any of you get nervous when the game is clearly out of hand and Brady and alot of starters are all out there? I know I would be sweating bullets if Manning was out there throwing the ball and a 38-0 lead and I think I have in the past, it just makes the defense more mad and opens players up for some cheap shots, I would just hate to see any player on any team have a season ending injury during "garbage time"

Yup - that's my only worry. Problem is they get such a nig lead so early that it woudl be criminal to take TB out in the 3rd Quarter. It's a tough call. But to answer your question - yes I do get worried.

Re: For all those talking about "Running up the score".....

Thanks. It just really amazes me how much people hate the PATS that they think of anything to go after them. This running up the score is the most ludicrous of them all. Its actually funny. Grown men asking the opposing team to show clemency. What is this - 5th Graders vs Kindergarteners?

Yeah definitely. In baseball teams don't let up, actually in any sport, in tennis do you think players whine that Roger Federer beat them 6-0 6-0 6-0?

I don't care one way or the other about running up the score on the Pro level. Pop Warner is a different animal though and even up to High school.

I don't think that SB's should matter. One team gets on a roll in an ultimate game and forces the other to try to play catch up, and do things they probably wouldn't do except that it is the last game. Teams, even good ones, can fall apart in the 2nd half of a SB.

Puh-leez Manning has been doing that for far years now, playing well into the 4th quarter when the Colts have the game well in hand. Pot, kettle, black? Do you get 'worried sick' about Peyton getting his knee taken out?

Oh I love this stat line on Steve Young's hypocrisy vis a vis 'running up the score' :

STEVE YOUNG's SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET
The complaint: Young said on ESPN Monday that New England’s big victories are tarnishing its image. Apparently, he pines for the days when the Patriots were a “lucky” team manned by a bunch of “overachievers” who squeaked out close wins. He also implied some sort of psychoses on behalf of Bill Belichick this year.

New England’s big margins of victory are the result of Belichick’s “insecurity from spygate,” said Young from behind the desk on ESPN.

The skeletons in the closet: Maybe Belichick is feeling the same kind of insecurity Young felt after playing second fiddle to Joe Montana in the hearts and minds of San Francisco football fans – the same kind of insecurity that caused Young to throw a record six TD passes in Super Bowl XXIX, the last in the fourth quarter with his team sporting a comfortable 42-18 lead against the overmatched 11-5 Chargers.

Young in the ESPN segment also lamented getting his ass handed to him by the Bears back when he was with Tampa Bay.

Indeed, the Bears did beat the Bucs 48-14 back in 1986, Young’s second and last year in Tampa. But he conveniently failed to mention San Francisco’s 52-14 deconstruction of the Bears when he was with the 49ers in 1991.

Finally, Young also kind of forgot to mention how the 49ers treated the woeful Falcons during his tenure in San Francisco: which is pretty much the same way you treat the water in your toilet bowl.

Here are just some of the scores of the San Francisco-Atlanta series during Young’s tenure leading the post-Montana 49ers:
1992 – San Fran 56, Atlanta 17
1992 – San Fran 41, Atlanta 3
1994 – San Fran 42, Atlanta 3
1994 – San Fran 50, Atlanta 14
You know, if the 49ers hadn’t hung 16 fourth-quarter points on the Falcons in that 50-14 tune-up for their Super Bowl run, maybe it wouldn't have tarnished San Fran's image so drastically.

- Courtesy of Cold, Hard, Football Facts

Last edited:
Can't believe no one has mentioned the greatest running up of the score of all time. Honestly, if people are complaining about what the Pats are doing now, just imagine how the media would react after this classic FU game:

It's a long read, but worth every word.

December 17, 1989 - Cincinnati Bengals head coach Sam Wyche was known as an emotional, quotable and outspoken leader. A heated rivalry developed with the head coach of the Houston Oilers, Jerry Glanville. In an extremely unusual move for an NFL coach, Wyche grossly inflated the final score on Glanville's Oilers. Up 45-0 in the final period, Wyche called for a fourth down conversion attempt (which was successful), and an onside kick (also successful). The final score was 61-7, the last three points coming after Wyche called a timeout with just seconds remaining in the game in order to kick a field goal. After the game Wyche said his only regret was that Bengal kicker Lee Johnson missed an extra point. Sam also observed that that Glanville's Oilers were the dumbest, most undiciplined team he had ever seen.

The third-quarter play was executed perfectly. Lee Johnson sideswiped the kickoff and the football bounced downed the right sideline, where Ira Hillary snatched it before running out of bounds at the Houston Oilers' 34-yard line. Cincinnati Bengals ball. One more time. And the score before that onside kick was already Cincinnati 45, Houston 0.

And when the last of the 47,510 customers trickled gleefully out of Riverfront Stadium today, the final tally was Cincinnati 61, Houston 7.

Did Cincinnati rub it in and run up the score against their bitter rivals? You bet.

''I just don't like Jerry Glanville,'' Sam Wyche, the Bengals' coach, said of the Oilers' coach. Wyche chased Glanville for a word or two after this demolition. Glanville kept running for his team's exit, so Wyche simply stood and waved, and waved, and waved.

''I don't like phonies,'' Wyche continued, ''and I don't think Jerry is a very genuine guy. The cheap shots they tried after our quarterback was down, their big mouths. Jerry tries coming up and talking to me before the game and when the cameras start rolling he puts his arm around you and smiles behind those dark glasses. When your football team is so talented and yet so undisciplined, you got to be ready to get kicked and the score run up on you. And that's exactly what happened today.'' Whew! Play it again, Sam. ''I feel sorry for the Houston players having to put up with him,'' Wyche said. ''He can take that hit-the-beach stuff and take it back to high school or wherever he got it from. He's a joke.'' Wyche offered the words to match the onslaught, Cincinnati's largest margin of victory ever and Houston's worst loss and - doubly sweet for the Bengals - a victory that prevented Houston from clinching its first American Conference Central Division title.

This was a game of sheer retribution for the Bengals. The war of words and ill feelings between these teams built to a peak before the opening kickoff. Lewis Billups, a Bengals cornerback, had said the Oilers were scared because they were on the threshold of finally winning the division crown. Robert Lyles, a Houston linebacker, had said the Bengals were a sissy bunch.

''I saw defeat in their eyes,'' Billups said. ''When they couldn't do the things they wanted to do, they didn't quit, but they were just out of it.''

Out of it from their very first snap, which was low from center, bobbled by Warren Moon, kicked along the line and recovered by Cincinnati at the Houston 26. Three plays later, Boomer Esiason (20 of 27 passing for 326 yards and four touchdowns) zipped a pass to Eddie Brown that led to a 7-0 lead and the beginning of the massacre. Cincinnati led by 21-0 after one quarter, by 31-0 at halftime and by 52-0 after three quarters. The Bengals were throwing on first down all the while, converting fourth-down plays in the final quarter, and even kicking a field goal for their final points with 25 seconds left.

Glanville, the loose and blunt coach, was humble after this disaster.

''They played an excellent game and we have no alibis, no excuses,'' Glanville said.

Houston had won five of the last six in this series, but was outplayed in every area today. Cincinnati compiled a club-record 35 first downs. It had an overwhelming edge in plays (81-52), yardage (584-194), rushing yards (192-39) and possession time (40 minutes 41 seconds to 19:19).

Last edited:
We have 7 pages of examples... I wish some more media writers would throw this back in those douchebags' faces.

There is a blatant bias and double standard when it comes to the Pats.

I wish that the next time the Pats have a 30 point lead late in the 3rd quarter (hopefully this Sunday), that they take Brady out, and have Cassell take a knee three straight times and then Punt the ball (from where ever they are on the field (imagine punting from the other teams ten yard line).

Then lets hear what the other team and the pundits have to say...

It would be absolutely humiliating to a professional athlete to be treated like this. They would scream bloody murder about having to play the game through, etc, etc,

I was just talking about that today at work. I would not be shocked if they did this at some point just to make the talking heads flip into a hypocritical frenzy!! :rocker:

Puh-leez Manning has been doing that for far years now, playing well into the 4th quarter when the Colts have the game well in hand. Pot, kettle, black? Do you get 'worried sick' about Peyton getting his knee taken out?

He did put in his comments that he thinks he has in the past. Not sure if he added that after your comments or not?

Bump so more media writers who read this will realize how hypocritical they are. Glad Peter King has seen his ways.

2001 35-0 Rams over Lions (14 points in the 4th)

I remember this Mon Night game-Warner STAYED with FIVE minutes left in the GAME. Even Fouts was yelling for Martz to pull him.

And yeah-didn't hear any media whining either.

I take my previous post back, after reading his latest column Peter King is still a moron and needs to do 'more research', such as... read this thread.

Last edited:
I just remembered another one...

In the Eagles pounding of the Packers in '04(I believe the score was 49-14, or something like that), Donovan McNabb ADMITTED that they ran up the score on them b/c they wanted to make a STATEMENT.

If I can find the article, I'll link it here, but I remember reading it.

I haven't read the whole post, just the beginnning, so I apologize if someone made this point before, but the thing that really gets me, (and, of course, I agree with BB, smerlas and pete s. above) is that the Pats were so bad for so long when I was young, we would just get pasted every year, twice a year, by the fish, and also at times by the Bills and Jets, and no one ever said a word about running up the score, to my memory, or taking it easy in the third quarter, for chrizzakes. Look at some of the running yards OJ had against us some years. The idea that we should have to apologize for returning the favor is ridiculous.
I say keep the foot on the gas. (But I will defer to BB on this one....:cool: )

I don't know if this counts but what the heck:

Super Bowl XXXVII

Oakland: 21

TB: 48

Apparently Redskins LB Randall Godfrey said something to Belichick after the game at midfield, and repeated it to reporters in the locker room after the game.

Godfrey said "You've got to show some class, show some respect. Joe Gibbs? We wouldn't have done that. Bill Walsh? You wouldn't see those types of guys doing that stuff. I've never seen nothing like that. This is the pros. You show some respect. You show some class."

I think Godfrey (and all the other jealous, petty Patriot haters) need to check NFL history before they speak. Gibbs and Walsh wouldn't have done that?

Super Bowl 22: Washington 42, Denver 10
Super Bowl 24: San Francisco 55, Denver 10

Someone should hve told Godfrey: "Your a pro, act like it and stop the other team.

In the 47+ years of pro football in NE this is a list of the 29 times teams have beat them by 30 or more.

1960 wk13 @Dallas Texans----------0-34
1963 wk13 @Kansas City Cheifs-----3-35
1963 AFLCG @San Diego Chargers---10-51
1967 wk7 @Oakland Raiders-------14-48
1968 wk4 @Oakland Raiders-------10-41
1968 wk7 @New York Jets---------14-48
1968 wk13 @Miami Dolphins---------7-38
1969 wk2 Kansas City Cheifs-------0-31
1970 wk7 Buffalo Bills-------------10-45
1970 wk14 @Cinncinatti Bengals----7-45
1971 wk5 @Miami Dolphins---------3-41
1972 wk6 @Pittsburgh Steelers-----3-33
1972 wk9 @Miami Dolphins---------0-52*
1972 wk11 @Baltimore Colts--------0-31
1975 wk3 @New York Jets---------7-36
1979 wk11 @Denver Broncos-------10-45
1983 wk12 Cleveland Browns--------0-30
1986 SB Chicago Bears-----------10-46
1988 wk2 @Minnesota Vikings-------6-36
1988 wk6 @Green Bay Packers------3-45
1990 wk3 @Cinncinatti Bengals------7-41
1990 wk13 Kansas City Cheifs--------7-37
1990 wk16 @New York Jets----------7-72
1992 wk3 Buffalo Bills---------------7-41
1992 wk13 @Atlanta Falcons--------0-34
1993 wk4 @New York Jets----------7-45
1995 wk6 Denver Broncos-----------3-37
1998 wk10 Atlanta Falcons----------10-41
2003 wk1 @Buffalo Bills-------------0-31

I haven't read the whole post, just the beginnning, so I apologize if someone made this point before, but the thing that really gets me, (and, of course, I agree with BB, smerlas and pete s. above) is that the Pats were so bad for so long when I was young, we would just get pasted every year, twice a year, by the fish, and also at times by the Bills and Jets, and no one ever said a word about running up the score, to my memory, or taking it easy in the third quarter, for chrizzakes. Look at some of the running yards OJ had against us some years. The idea that we should have to apologize for returning the favor is ridiculous.
I say keep the foot on the gas. (But I will defer to BB on this one....:cool: )

The year OJ had 2,000 yards, he literally got 500 of them in his 2 games against the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft